NAD or Marantz with MA RX 6 speakers

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
i'm still in dubt. It will be or:

Marantz pm 6004, cd 6004 with MA RX 6 or

NAD C355BEE, Marantz cd 6004 with MA RX 6

NAD has nice a puncy sound, but isn't reliable. More than others. And the c355 isn't so good as previous NAD amp.

Marantz pm 6004 punncy and warm enough for my music (metalrock like Hammerfall, LIve)?

A

Anonymous

Where do you get your information from?

Have you HEARD the NAD amp etc...?

I've owned NAD for close to 20 years now; my 1st aqmp being the ever faithful 3020; it's still sat in my loft. Close to 10 years ago I bought a NAD C320BEE which is currently on my desk for my office hifi system

I've also owned the NAD C352 and C355BEE and both were superb amps; the C355BEE just being that bit more detailed but still very punchy with a solid soundstage and great midrange/top-end

The only issues recently had been a few with the C545BEE CDP; none of the other sepaprates IIRC. I'd ignore what you 'read' or 'hear' and decicde for yourself

For me the C355BEE with the Marantz CD6004 and M/A RX6 speakers will make for a superb system. With Chord interconnects and speaker cable (i.e. Crimson and Carnival Silverscreen) it'll make for a superb soundstage with bags of oomph but still staying very detailed and well timed.

The PM6004 will drive the RX6's well also but it wont get out of them what the NAD is able to

I initially had the NAD C355BEE, NAD C545BEE CDP and M/A RX6's this time last year; music i listen ranges from electronica to crooners to metal (SOAD, Metallica, Disturbed etc...). The NAD amp and RX6's coped VERY well indeed

peterpan said:

NAD has nice a puncy sound, but isn't reliable. More than others. And the c355 isn't so good as previous NAD amp.

Marantz pm 6004 punncy and warm enough for my music (metalrock like Hammerfall, LIve)?

In terms of synergy, Nad is a better marriage for RX6s.

As regards Nad reliability, there have been a few reported on here over the years. However, let's put that into context: EVERY brand/model has suffered reliabilty problems at some point over the years: Arcam, Leema, Rotel, Marantz... (I could go on, but won't).

I would suggest that you try the Nad for yourself, and if it is troublesome replace it with something else (presuming you're buying from a bona fide dealer, of course).

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Why would NAD be less reliable than any other brand? My Denon avr developped a fault after 3 years, does that make everything built by Denon unreliable?

And you'll have to audition the two amps with the speakers. I didn't really like the sound of the NAD I auditioned (C375BEE), but was completely drawn into the music as soon as I heard the Marantz.

And most shops can offer you a longer warranty period if you'd like that (I took one too;))

A

Anonymous

I think Marantz could sound better cause they are using quite hard metal dome tweeters for the treble. Marantz adds sweetness to the sound while (in my experience) NAD is harder on the ears.

I have also heard Monitor Audio with Marantz before and always prefered it against, lets say, Rotel.

NAD would be more powerful though. Marantz PM 7004 could also be a contender if u can afford it.

Best of luck!

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
surferpat said:
NAD would be more powerful though.

Not necessarily. The C375BEE sounded a lot less powerful than the Marantz, even though it is rated at 150watts at 8 and 4ohm, were the Marantz is rated at 90 watts at 8 and 140 at 4ohm.

Nad amps are a bit strange imo. The poweroutput should rise when the impedance drops (in a perfect world, it should double the 8 ohm rating at 4 ohm), but with Nad, it stays the same, even when measured in a lab. Must have something to do with their powersupply design.

So don't write off an amp because it doesn't pack alot of watts.

T

the record spot

Very true. WPC isn't the only consideration; ideally, you want a high current design too. A high current 50w amp will be a good performer, so don't just go by the rated power specs alone.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
peterpan said:

Btw, I'm just enjoying the deluxe edition of "Legacy of kings" on my system, and that sounds really awsome. I've never heard Hammerfall perform this good before :) Nice tight and controlled bass, midrange is really sweet and the highs are nicely timed and clear without being sharp. I guess it also helps that that cd is mastered really good.

A

Anonymous

To cut all losses I'd say go for a decent Arcam Alpha 10 off eBay and then possibly look to add the Alpha 10P power amp

NOW that WOULD be hell of a system with a superb soundsatge; no fear of harsh top ends but with real deep, punchy and well timed bass and a superbly detailed midrange!

The Arcam Alpha 10 with RX6's is a really good set-up; adding the 10P would just be the icing on the cake!

A 10+ year old amp and still kicks a lot of decent amps into touch now IMO

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Don't buy a 10 yeard old amp is my advice, most amps have issues after 10 years in that price range. I never liked the Arcam sound but that is a matter of taste.

Monitor Audio rx 6 (do you own them already?) is a great speaker and deserve a good amp like the Rokan Caspian 2 or Leema Pulse. Exposure 2010s2 if you have a lower budget is awesome too. I think it is strange that WHF never revied the new Exposure amps, because they are extremely good for the money.

And Peterpan, you are asking the same questions for almost 3 year? Maybe it is time to listen by yourself at a good local hifi shop, where do you live in the Netherlands? Maybe I can advice some good shops.

A

Anonymous

poldo said:
Don't buy a 10 yeard old amp is my advice, most amps have issues after 10 years in that price range. I never liked the Arcam sound but that is a matter of taste.

What a load of rubbish!

People on this forum do say the most stupid things at times :doh:

I've got a NAD C3020 in the loft; it works PERFECTLY and it must be close to 20 years old now!

Just pulled my NAD C320BEE amo to use in the study; again 10 years old (nealy) and worked first time I plugged it in again and hasnt been switched off since! Same with an old Arcam Alpha 8 I've got; no issues whatsoever...

The Arcam alpha 10 was a £1k amp in it's time; a damned GOOD amp as well and very much NOT like the 'usual' Arcam amps; it's just as good as the FMJ A32 was and better then the current A38!

You'd be troubled to find an amp on the market under £1k currently that betters the Alpha 10 with ease and for c£300 2nd hand; you'll not find an amp better in that price bracket!

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
For almost 2 year ago i bought the MA rx 6. Then my parents become both cancer and i have cared for them. After their death i became a burn-out and was very depressed. Still i have a burn-out, but will listen to music slowly.

The cd player will be the marantz. But the amp. is difficulty. For my music, mostly (metal)rock, i need a warmer presentation. I hate bright sound with shrill highs. Rock cd's are not good recordings.

I live near Enschede. There is Hfii studio city, but have bad experience with them.

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi Peterpan,

that is awfull, my condoleance.

I love metal too, Opeth, Death, Type o negative, Mastodon etc.

The rx 6 are great for metal music, I owned the rs6. If you want Walhalla for rock music you should demo the Tannoy Dc8 with the Exposure 3010s2, I know you can demo that in Rotterdam, Multifoon. A great shop.

I think you would like the Exposure amps. Do you have a car, maybe you could visit Multifoon.

A

Anonymous

peterpan said:
For almost 2 year ago i bought the MA rx 6. Then my parents become both cancer and i have cared for them. After their death i became a burn-out and was very depressed. Still i have a burn-out, but will listen to music slowly.

The cd player will be the marantz. But the amp. is difficulty. For my music, mostly (metal)rock, i need a warmer presentation. I hate bright sound with shrill highs. Rock cd's are not good recordings.

I live near Enschede. There is Hfii studio city, but have bad experience with them.

Sorry to hear that; my condolances

I owned the M/A RS and RX6's; both partnered with an Arcam Alpha 9 then 10 and then the NAD C352 and then C355BEE. I listen to a lot of different types of music which inclues the likes of System of a Down, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Disturbed etc...

With those amps and speakers I have never ONCE had bad, shrill, bright top ends. NAD and Arcam are not renowned for brightness ion their treble.

I feel the recent posts that have cropped up recently may have been more to do with room acoustics and cabling rather than the speakers/amps etc...

If you are really that unsure then I still think going 2nd hand (finding a seller on eBay that is willing to ship abroad (if you offer to pay for the shipping then it usually makes life easier). That way you can try a few amps and if they're not your taste then you just simpley relist them and sell them on again...

Yes demo'ing new amps with the speakers is ideal but if youre not local to a hifi dealer or the dealer doesnt deal with the brands youre interested then it becomes difficult

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Hifilover. It is still a difficult time.

I find a hifistore 80 km from me which have my speakers and NAD and Marantz. Next week i will go to this store and listen to the amp. It's is the only way to make a good decision.

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
peterpan said:
Thanks Hifilover. It is still a difficult time.

I find a hifistore 80 km from me which have my speakers and NAD and Marantz. Next week i will go to this store and listen to the amp. It's is the only way to make a good decision.

Could you name the store?

peterpan said:
This store also have a roksan kandy k2 amp. I can listen to it, but i read here that this amp work not well with ma rx 6.

Who says the RX6 don't work well with the K2?

Certainly the older LIII worked well with RS range, shouldn't be any reason why the newer models can't gel. The only way you'll know is to listen to the combo.:)

T

the record spot

Buying used, particularly older amps, carries a risk. Ten year old - or thereabouts - should be, generally speaking, okay. So buying something like the aforesaid Arcams would most likely be fine.

However, all that said, in the event you don't like what you hear, then you've got the hassle of reselling, the costs that involves (with Ebay and Paypal, expect to hand over a good 10% of your final sale price in fees, so you will lose out to some degree) and physically shipping it out. If a problem occurs, then you've more hassle. Either that or, worse, you're stuffed.

Yes, in an ideal world, this is probably going to sail through, but given that some Alpha 10s go for well over £250 and that's before the shipping costs are included, you're running a risk. I've bought plenty of stuff on Ebay; most have gone well. Others haven't. The ones that didn't were a pain, but at least they were in the UK.

If it was my money - and I've been close to buying old Sansui amps from the States in the past - I'd make as sure as you can be that you're getting a good deal wherever you buy from and that you can trust the seller and they'll not leave you stuck with a dud if it all goes wrong. With all that done, go ahead.

Though I'd take the time and trouble to seek out a store even if it means an hour or two's drive.

Lastly, please accept my deepest condolences to you and your family for your loss.

A

Anonymous

peterpan said:
This store also have a roksan kandy k2 amp. I can listen to it, but i read here that this amp work not well with ma rx 6.

As with what PP said

ive heard the Kandy K2 with the RX6's and the Rega Saturn CDP (all with chord cables) and it was a fantastic combo

Very detailed and well paced and no harshness...

Dont read in to what other people say too much; only YOU can tell buy demoing!

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Hm; i can buy a brandnew NAD C355BEE, the last one, for 439,-- Euro. For a Marantz pm 6004 i must pay 449,-- Euro.

For 2 years i heard a Marantz pm 8003 on my MA. Sounds not wrong, but no punch and power for my music (Hammerfall, Metallica, Nightwish, Live etc). A little boring. But WHF finds the 6004 superb.

peterpan said:
Hm; i can buy a brandnew NAD C355BEE, the last one, for 439,-- Euro. For a Marantz pm 6004 i must pay 449,-- Euro.

For 2 years i heard a Marantz pm 8003 on my MA. Sounds not wrong, but no punch and power for my music (Hammerfall, Metallica, Nightwish, Live etc). A little boring. But WHF finds the 6004 superb.

Marantz generally have a smoothish presentation but, for some reason, the budgets Marantzes tend to have a little more bottom end bite. However, the trade-off is the overall quality: Detail, dynamics, timing etc.

If you want an amp with more bite but retains the smoothness of the Marantz then the Kandy K2 is the answer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts