Rotel Rcd-965BX or used cd player with my dac in my amp?

gasolin

Found my old Rotel RCD-965BX LE Discrete i had in my basement collecting dust for about 5 years

Had a cheap interconnect and connected it to my marantz PM6005, it worked, but the open,close button is very lose and the fast forward button fell off, on hifishark where i can look for used hifi all over the world, i just coldn't find any cheap rotel RCD-965BX or another cd player with a front i can use, close to where i live.

Is it worth looking for a new front, there isn't many rotel for sale.

What would sound best, the analog output or the coaxial output in to the marantz amp/dac which is the same as in the marantz CD6005. Have only tried the analog output of the cd player.

I do use tidal hifi although it's not 100% stable and as fast to use as a cd player, felt there was a difference in sound, even when i played the same songs (there should be a difference between an old cd player with a cheap interconnect and a audioquest dragonfly with the best supra biline cable) but not as big as i imagine with a 22 year old cd player and a cheap interconnect.

Would it make more sense to buy a cheap cd player from nad,rotel,marantz or mabye a sony es cd player and use the dac in my amp with what ever digital cable i can use or what cable is cheapest if i want the best from supra, either coaxial or optical and sell my rotel to someone who want's to uprade his rotel cdplayer with perfect buttons?

gasolin said:
Found my old Rotel RCD-965BX LE Discrete i had in my basement collecting dust for about 5 years

Had a cheap interconnect and connected it to my marantz PM6005, it worked, but the open,close button is very lose and the fast forward button fell off, on hifishark where i can look for used hifi all over the world, i just coldn't find any cheap rotel RCD-965BX or another cd player with a front i can use, close to where i live.

Is it worth looking for a new front, there isn't many rotel for sale.

What would sound best, the analog output or the coaxial output in to the marantz amp/dac which is the same as in the marantz CD6005. Have only tried the analog output of the cd player.

I do use tidal hifi although it's not 100% stable and as fast to use as a cd player, felt there was a difference in sound, even when i played the same songs (there should be a difference between an old cd player with a cheap interconnect and a audioquest dragonfly with the best supra biline cable) but not as big as i imagine with a 22 year old cd player and a cheap interconnect.

Would it make more sense to buy a cheap cd player from nad,rotel,marantz or mabye a sony es cd player and use the dac in my amp with what ever digital cable i can use or what cable is cheapest if i want the best from supra, either coaxial or optical and sell my rotel to someone who want's to uprade his rotel cdplayer with perfect buttons?

I used to own the RCD975, and like the 965BX was a very capable CDP. However, their achilles heel was the front fascia and disc tray. When I called Rotel they said it could be fixed... at a cost. I tried newer Rotel RCD06 and it couldn't hold a candle to the 975 soundwise.

If you're looking at another old Rotel I'd be inclined to look for a 10 series. The sound quality is better and the fascia and disc tray were more robust.

The problem with all old CDPs, regardless of make, is you'll never know how long they'll last. I would be tempted to look at much newer brands, such as Marantz, Arcam... it won't guarantee it'll last, but it certainly gives you a sporting chance.

gasolin

I think i would look for ac d player as a transporter (or is it called something else?) sell what i have and use the marantz PM6005 dac, then i would get a "new" marantz cd6005 for what 2 dvd's or a good interconnect costs

Seems supra optical cable is cheaper then the best supra coaxial cabel so might buy that

update while i wright the reply my coaxial dosn't work and th my suprise the marantz pm6005 remote control works with the cd player

The coaxial input on the amp is blinking and thers no sound, accordig to manual it's when a digital sound signal that has a sampling frequency that is not supported by this unit is input, the input indicator (COAXIAL or OPTICAL) flashes in the display.

Sounds strange

gasolin

plastic penguin said:
The remote on my old Arcam CD73 worked the Rotel disc tray.

Do you have a spare coax? May just be a faulty cable.

Don't have a spare cable, the amp is blinking and indicating the samplerate is not supported by the amp, optical from my pc to my amp works

gasolin said:
plastic penguin said:
The remote on my old Arcam CD73 worked the Rotel disc tray.

Do you have a spare coax? May just be a faulty cable.

Don't have a spare cable, the amp is blinking and indicating the samplerate is not supported by the amp, optical from my pc to my amp works

I'm not familiar with dac integrated amp. Contact the dealer and pose the question. It may just be something fundemental.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts