NAD C545BEE

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

SSM

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano:SSM

Unfortunately the NAD isn't the quietest of players mechanically which, as someone who listens to a lot of solo and piano music and orchestral music (often with extended pianissimo passages), I find very irritating. I think this is a common issue with many CD players, although I think NAD sit at the noisier end.

argghhh!
emotion-9.gif
Not a good option then for low-level listening... I would have liked the matching ergonomics.

Will have a look at other alternatives.

Thanks

matthewpiano

Well the old Marantz gave up the ghost completely today, so I decided to give the Rotel a go again - RCD965BX. Far, far better than I expected and actually a better balance than the Marantz. Sounds fabulous tonight.

T

the record spot

Sabby:I recently listened to the Marantz SA7001-KI at a dealer and found it very sterile, uninvolving and very digital sounding. It totally lacked in emotion and feeling, just cold and digital. You certainly don't have to worry about it sounding bass heavy, quite the opposite in fact. The Nad 545BEE may not be perfect, no hi-fi equipment is, but it definitely sounds more involving and natural than the Marantz.

If only the world dealt in absolutes all of the time; it'd be so much easier!

Away from the artificial settings and possibly incompatibility between CDP-amp-speakers, you'll need to pardon my 2p-worth here.

The SA7001-KI is a known "lean" sounding player, so look elsewhere if you want depth plundering bass, yet sterile and digital or cold sounding it is not. The bass is present, but is articulate and easy to pick out, the music is clear and instruments are well placed and pretty lifelike.

If anything, it's one of the most lifelike players I've heard but it does need careful partnering. Put it in with brighter sounding amps and speakers and it will not be of its best, but careful matching and its' easy to bandy adjectives like "brilliant" around with nary a backward glance.

Put it this way, I won't be getting rid of mine for anything better for a very long time to come; the sound I hear with the current set-up is just astounding at times and though I've never directly compared the two, I'm happy in thinking I know which player I'd rather have.

Horses for courses though, sometimes it's just easier to have a player that will be an easier one to partner.

SSM

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
nads:SSM rip it to a NAS/PC and steam it through something like a Squeezebox and a Dac. silent and easy.

Been doing the PC/Dac route. Great option for pop songs. But try a 4-CD opera recording that has about 20+ tracks per disc... then there are about 80+ opera sets, and ripping becomes a real pain in the ***.
emotion-8.gif
Life would be easier if I could close the laptop and play the music on a cdp with a nice dot matrix display.
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

SSM:

matthewpiano:SSM Unfortunately the NAD isn't the quietest of players mechanically which, as someone who listens to a lot of solo and piano music and orchestral music (often with extended pianissimo passages), I find very irritating. I think this is a common issue with many CD players, although I think NAD sit at the noisier end.

argghhh!
emotion-9.gif
Not a good option then for low-level listening... I would have liked the matching ergonomics.

Will have a look at other alternatives.

Thanks

Aside from the actual mechanism, I think it's also because the non-master series NADs have relatively lightweight enclosures. The reduced mass loading / damping results in more audible noise. I haven't opened a NAD, but isolation of the drive assembly could also be a factor.

matthewpiano

I think you are spot on there stagea. The build is on the lightweight side. It is substantially lighter and less solid feeling than my Rotel RCD965BX. I suppose it is all part of the NAD philosophy of spending the money on internal components and performance. It is just unfortunate that it makes it so intrusive at low volume levels. It varies quite dramatically between discs as well.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Guess it matters how close you sit. I've never heard the NAD 545s mechanical sounds at all. And it's not like I don't listen at low volumes sometimes. In fact, I had to replace a wall clock because the second hand ticked too loud. That clock was about the same distance from my chair as the NAD CDP. But, I do agree that the 545 is not a tank. Seen much cheaper builds before also though...

A

Anonymous

I have the C326 partnered wuth the 650C and in most cases it sounds great...to me anway...bass is still on certain recordings a bit boomy to my ears but not sure if it may be my speakers and room size causing the problem

A

Anonymous

A wallclock could indeed be noisier. I've had that problem before, which is why I almost always use silent-sweep ones (those that don't tick). :)

I agree that Rotels are quite a bit quieter than the NADs I've used. I'm not generally bothered with sound produced by NAD CDPs though, it's just mildly audible at my preferred listening distance.

SSM

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, that's one C545 owner citing mechanism noise while another says his is inaudible. I can only deduce that Matthew's unit was assembled at the NAD factory on a day when the worker was sleepy and didn't wind down the screws on the transport completely.
emotion-5.gif

I guess I'll have to put my ears close to the C545 at the dealer's to find out if the whirling is audible/acceptable for me.

btw it's also good to know that the 650C pairs well with the C326.
emotion-1.gif

SS

ps: I use digital clocks!
emotion-2.gif

matthewpiano

Actually SSM, considering the feet don't seem to be quite the same (the unit needs a beer mat under one of the feet to stop it from rocking), you could well be right about mine being a Friday afternoon NAD.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts