My Watchmen Blu-ray has arrived!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I've heard some great Dolby TrueHD soundtracks (e.g. The Dark Knight and Ironman) and I've heard some fantastic DTS HD MA soundtracks - I don't think I've seen a film which has a choice of both on to be able to do an effective comparison.

Sliced Bread

professorhat:
I've heard some great Dolby TrueHD soundtracks (e.g. The Dark Knight and Ironman) and I've heard some fantastic DTS HD MA soundtracks - I don't think I've seen a film which has a choice of both on to be able to do an effective comparison.

That's good to know...I have The Dark Night on order :)

A

Anonymous

Well i checked last night and my Australian copy of Watchmen is playing in Dolby True HD

Does anybody know of other blu ray titles that have been released in different audio formats in diferent countries?

A

Anonymous

I watched this movie this evening and found it a total bore! Good soundtrack and picture quality, although nowhere as good as 'Knowing'.

I don't quite understand why Dr Manhattan needs to walk around with his bits dangling about all the time, when in some scenes, he actually had some kind of a loincloth.

Anyway, just a lot of hype - a dissapointment, in my opinion
emotion-45.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, just watched the Directors Cut version myself tonight and thought it was excellent - good story (if a little obvious in places), but very, very enjoyable and the soundtrack was fantastic. I've never read the original graphic novel so not sure if this helps, but judging that you thought Knowing was better, I think it just shows we have very different tastes!

I was also shocked to read Knowing get 4 stars in WHF and Gran Torino only 3... apparently I also have very different tastes from the guys there as well!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:
Well, just watched the Directors Cut version myself tonight and thought it was excellent - good story (if a little obvious in places), but very, very enjoyable and the soundtrack was fantastic. I've never read the original graphic novel so not sure if this helps, but judging that you thought Knowing was better, I think it just shows we have very different tastes!

I was also shocked to read Knowing get 4 stars in WHF and Gran Torino only 3... apparently I also have very different tastes from the guys there as well!

I wanted to give Gran Torino 4 or even 5 stars - I lost that vote!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, no offence intended to others (hence the
emotion-2.gif
).

Incidentally, both Watchmen and Gran Torino were films I knew absolutely nothing about (or at least very little) before watching. I love it when you get this and really enjoy the film - Gran Torino for example was nothing like I had expected. It seems more rewarding to me when you avoid reading anything about the film before you watch, going in almost with no expectations at all - I must try and do this more from now on!

A

Anonymous

Gran torino was much better film than both the knowing and Watchmen. The knowning was a laughable, badly acted farce and the Watchmen was kinda ok but a bit boring imo.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I thought 'Knowing' was really good. Had to talk the Wife into watching it as it had got a few ropey reviews, but she thought it was really good too. Even had her grabbing my arm in the scary bits, which she hasn't done since 'The Ring'.

Gran Torino was good too, but a bit hard to believe the transformation, or more acurately the speed of the transformation in Clint's character.

You've got an old, curmudgeonly, xenophobic, recently widowed old geezer. I think it'll take more than a couple of weeks to turn him into Mr accepting, tolerant, and let's face it, friendly old man.

Didn't hate 'Watchmen', but didn't 'get it' either.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:I thought 'Knowing' was really good. Had to talk the Wife into watching it as it had got a few ropey reviews, but she thought it was really good too. Even had her grabbing my arm in the scary bits, which she hasn't done since 'The Ring'.

Gran Torino was good too, but a bit hard to believe the transformation, or more acurately the speed of the transformation in Clint's character.

You've got an old, curmudgeonly, xenophobic, recently widowed old geezer. I think it'll take more than a couple of weeks to turn him into Mr accepting, tolerant, and let's face it, friendly old man.

I think he was friendly enough, to people he respected (the guys at the bar, his barber, the construction site manager). He just didn't respect his family because of their lifestyles and attitudes (and you can't blame him when his son wants to stick him in a home just so he can sell the house and take the cash). He realised pretty quickly that the Hmong had more of a family and work ethic, which is what he respects. As he said himself "I've got more in common with a bunch of gooks than my own family."

And they were feeding him good food, I'd be happy enough!

I enjoyed it, wasn't entirely what I was expecting, a little lighter in tone perhaps, but if that's Clint's last performance I'm happy to accept that, it's not a life changing film, or an Oscar winner, but it was a good enjoyable film, there aren't enough of those these days.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts