My Watchmen Blu-ray has arrived!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Ordered from Movietyme on Thursday evening, arrived this morning. How good is that?

Never used Movietyme before, but very impressed with the first experience!

Can't wait to watch it.

A

Anonymous

Just ordered from Movietyme and just in the process of returning my UK spec disc back to play (unopened) which arrived today.

By all accounts I would rather wait a little while longer and enjoy the extended version.

Thanks for the lead Clare.
emotion-2.gif
(had never tried Movietyme so hope my experience is as good as others)

Cheers.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:
aliEnRIK: Alan Moore (the writer of the watchmen graphic novel) HATES the movie.

I think Alan Moore just hates Hollywood, he's hated EVERY movie made out of his material, granted he had a point with The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, that was dreadful, but most of the time he's just being a miserable SOB.

I notice it never stops him from taking Hollywood's dollar though, nothing like sticking by your principles...

I could be wrong here but I believe he doesnt make a penny from the movies. ALL rights are owned by DC comics

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:
aliEnRIK: Alan Moore (the writer of the watchmen graphic novel) HATES the movie.

I think Alan Moore just hates Hollywood, he's hated EVERY movie made out of his material, granted he had a point with The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, that was dreadful, but most of the time he's just being a miserable SOB.

I notice it never stops him from taking Hollywood's dollar though, nothing like sticking by your principles...

Actually, I read an interview with him a couple of years ago and he said he DID refuse a large royalty cheque because he hated the film so much (can't remember which one) and thought he would betray his principles if he accepted the money.

And he still lives in a terrace house in Northampton.

Other adaptations of his books include Constantine, From Hell and V For Vendetta - no wonder he hates Hollywood!

A

Anonymous

Got my Directors cut version on Friday. What I've seen so far is great can't wait to watch it. Wife's out on a hen night next Sat so will watch it then in peace. As long as laddo goes to sleep at a reasonable hour. I did notice that Rorschach didn't use a coat hanger to judge the depth of the wardrobe.....Oh no!! I know I'm just gonna analyse this film to the 'enth degree.

I've read numerous time that he will not take money from hollywood. He does own some of the rights as he refused to allow the release of the action figures to mark the 20th Anniversary of the comic. Pity as they looked rather good. That could have been part of his beef with DC though. Mind it didn't stop him from continuing writing for Wildstorm even after they were bought up by DC.

A

Anonymous

Hi - quick questions...

It would appear that the US directors cut is region-free - will this definately work on a PS3? I know how Sony like to spoill the fun with protection...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:the_lhc:aliEnRIK: Alan Moore (the writer of the watchmen graphic novel) HATES the movie.

I could be wrong here but I believe he doesnt make a penny from the movies. ALL rights are owned by DC comics

Seriously? Then he's really needs to get a new agent, he's the author, DC are just the publisher, why the hell did he agree to that kind of deal?

A

Anonymous

c_hewson:
Hi - quick questions...

It would appear that the US directors cut is region-free - will this definately work on a PS3? I know how Sony like to spoill the fun with protection...

It plays on PS3 just fine!

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know whether the director's cut is likely to get a uk release by christmas? I heard there was going to be an ultimate edition, but I'm not sure if this is also just for the US.

For those who have imported the director's cut from america, do you know if the cover is tarnished with joint English and French descriptions, titles etc as I know usually they are since they come from canada (playusa.com).

Is the picture quality on the US version as good or better than the UK release?

Thanks

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
ElectroMan:the_lhc:

Actually, I read an interview with him a couple of years ago and he said he DID refuse a large royalty cheque because he hated the film so much (can't remember which one) and thought he would betray his principles if he accepted the money.

Other adaptations of his books include Constantine, From Hell and V For Vendetta - no wonder he hates Hollywood!

I really liked V for Vendetta. Never read the comic book/graphic novel though.......

Post #2000!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:ElectroMan:the_lhc:

I really liked V for Vendetta. Never read the comic book/graphic novel though....... Post #2000!

Yeah same here, I didn't mind Constantine either. I've never read any of Alan Moore's stuff though, I find most of it too long-winded. I think Alan Moore just doesn't seem to realise that in order to make any movie from a graphic novel stuff has to be cut out, that's what his beef seems to be about. Either that or he just doesn't like movies.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
hmtb:

For those who have imported the director's cut from america, do you know if the cover is tarnished with joint English and French descriptions, titles etc as I know usually they are since they come from canada (playusa.com

No the American one isn't tarnished with French Canadian descriptions. The Canadian disc however that will be tarnished. Just because you order a disc from the USA doesn't mean they won't send you a Canadian disc you have to look into it before you purchase the disc. Dvd world USA don't send Canadian discs.

Stokesy

Dec 16, 2006
Visit site
Wow!! Ordered a region free Blu-Ray of Watchmen on Friday morning from Movie Tyme and had it delivered on Saturday morning!?! How can they do that so quickly? Loved the film by the way - again it played on my PS3 with no probs - definitiely going to use them again!!!

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi

Is the US version music video my chemial romance dislation row on DTS master audio?

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I have some Alan Moore books - not this - and after all the hype I was not that impressed with it and will most likely sell my Blu Ray version especially knowing how dark and his sexual orientatation taste is. (i.e. alice in wonderland coming into sexual experience). Some things are better left as literature rather than being exploited as a below par movie.

A

Anonymous

Shado,

I'm really pleased it was made into a film as I really liked it. I've never been into comic books and would not have come across the story otherwise. On the back of the film I flicked through the comic in waterstones as I had heard how brilliant it was. I soon put it down. It didn't grip me in the way that a film or a book would and I can't see that changing. In my opinion it is the story and the message which are important, not the medium through which they are told. From reviews I gather the film is pretty faithful to the comic.

What in particular did you dislike?

Was yours the director's cut or the UK version? (I gather the dc fills out the story better).

A

Anonymous

EDITED BY MODS. Paramount sent me the UK disc, so I couldn't justify spending £18 on the US release in the same week. Will pick it up when it's cheaper for the additional Hollis Mason stuff and the BonusView commentary. Apparently it also sets up the Black Freighter stuff as well, but I'm not sure how well that will integrate come December's ultimate edition.

With regards to Moore, I doubt he's even seen the film. He does come across as a cantankerous old sod though. Snyder did the best he could working within the Hollywood system and the film would have been five hours minimum had he put everything from the novel in (and I'm not sure all of it would have worked). V for Vendetta was a decent film as well, especially considering its troubles. LXG not so much, but if you view it in its own right it's not totally abhorrent. From Hell was rubbish though.

Oh, and remember, Moore signed a deal with DC whereby the rights to Watchman would return to him only if the graphic novel went out of print for a certain amount of time, which of course it didn't. What did he expect?

A

Anonymous

Rented from Blockbuster and watched it last night on my PS3.

I did'nt know anything about Watchmen and haven't read the book, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
emotion-21.gif
Will be watching the "Extras" disk later.

A

Anonymous

Got my blu ray copy of Watchmen yesterday loved it at the movies even though i've never read it and i can't wait to see it in hi def.

I read a review for it saying the audio is DTS-HD Master Audio but on the back of my case it clearly says the audio is Dolby True HD.

Any thoughts??

A

Anonymous

slayerboy:

Got my blu ray copy of Watchmen yesterday loved it at the movies even though i've never read it and i can't wait to see it in hi def.

I read a review for it saying the audio is DTS-HD Master Audio but on the back of my case it clearly says the audio is Dolby True HD.

Any thoughts??

The US version has DTS-HD MA while the UK version has DT HD.

A

Anonymous

When i get home tonight i'm going to put it on and see what audio format its playing in.

I'm in Australia but is there any reason why they would release it in Dolby True HD here and DTS Master Audio on the US version?

Sliced Bread

Just a thought:
Both claim to be "lossless" formats. If this is the case then both should sound the same as they are compressing the PCM sound track, however if they do not sound the same then there must be some degree of loss from one or both formats.

A

Anonymous

It's just my opinion but I think DTS HD Master Audio soundtracks sound slightly better than True HD, fuller with more punch.

TRENDING THREADS