My Watchmen Blu-ray has arrived!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Director's Cut, straight from the States via MovieTyme. Considering I only ordered it on Tuesday, and that it's not out until Monday, that's pretty good going....

Now all i've got to do is find the 3hrs 6mins needed to watch it tonight!

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
Lucky girl, was thinking of getting this also through MovieTyme myself, though as usual there's going to be a ultimate/limited/special edition of some sort later in the year!!!??

Typical

Though Playusa are selling that disk a little bit cheaper, might try them

http://www.playusa.com/DVD/Region_1/STTS1/2-/10109012/Watchmen_Director_Cut/Product.html

Only a few quid, but still!!!

Read the graphic novel recently which was brilliant, so look forward to this purchase

Enjoy
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

surely as part of your job to ensure that everyone knows whether this is a must buy or not you should be given the afternoon off to watch and review it.

in the name of journalism of course.

A

Anonymous

Ordered this myself yesterday - hopefully will have it for the weekend!
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

My UK version was posted from Play today along with Monsters Inc blu-ray. Should be with me by Sat with any luck.

bballtom

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Got an email saying my copy from Play was posted today
emotion-1.gif
Unfortunately only the usual UK version
emotion-6.gif

Wish I had known about the directors cut before I pre ordered mine back in about May.

Still a great film though, I saw it at the IMAX in Chicago while on holiday, was amazing! First time I had been to an IMAX too.

A

Anonymous

Heard very mixed reports about Watchmen, most of them bad. I've got the original comic book and I loved it.

As always, I'll be making my own mind up about the film next week.

What's the story with Blu-ray region coding? Is it true that some of the discs are region specific whereas others aren't?

A

Anonymous

The USA directors cut is region free. I ordered mine from Playusa many weeks ago and it arrived last Thurs to my pleasant surprise - has a funky 3d cover too!

Tested the disc but not watched it yet.

The new USA version of 300 is worth getting too if you like the film, includes very impressive packaging with 40 page booklet etc. Also region free. (Arrived same day).

John Duncan

adison:
surely as part of your job to ensure that everyone knows whether this is a must buy or not you should be given the afternoon off to watch and review it.

in the name of journalism of course.

No but she does get to bring it out in meetings and go "ooo look at the lenticular cover - it's a brooch...its a butterfly...it's a pterodactyl"

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
Always subjective I know - But I was mightily impressed with this film ......cracking picture even on my non Blu Ray Denon 1940 - yes it's long but it's certainly different!

A love it or hate it film if ever there was one .......

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I've just looked on Play USA, and I could find 2 different Watchmen director's cuts, but both said 'region 1 - will only play on North American Blu-Ray players'. Any tips to find the region free one?

A

Anonymous

Dan Turner:I've just looked on Play USA, and I could find 2 different Watchmen director's cuts, but both said 'region 1 - will only play on North American Blu-Ray players'. Any tips to find the region free one?

Either of those discs will do.... contrary to what it says the disc IS region free like many (but not all) USA imports.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well, it's a superb Blu-ray package - three discs; the extended movie (all 3hrs 6 mins of it), special features and a digital copy for iTunes or PC.

DTS MA HD soundtrack is awesome (sofa-shaking stuff), and the picture is gorgeous - lots of colour and detail, with (of course) tons of dark scenes with inky blacks and shadows that'll be tough for some systems to pull off well.

Longer review next week when a) it's not my day off and b) i've had a chance to compare the US Director's Cut version with the UK release.

Film itself has its flaws (especially if you're a zealous fan of the graphic novel), but is such an all-out spectacle that I really enjoyed this extended edition.

Just a word of warning if you haven't seen the film and have kids- this isn't family friendly entertainment! Sex and graphic violence aplenty....

A

Anonymous

I think i need to watch this film again.

I watched it on the plane on the way back from holiday (on one of those tiny tv's in the back of the the bloke in front of me's seat), interrupted by hostess asking if i wanted beef or chicken and would I like another drink.

I like these kind of films but couldn't get into it. Perhaps i should order the blu-ray version from lovefilm and try it again.

iainl2005

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Watched the extended cut last night, and wasn't really expecting too much, but wow I was absolutely blown away dont think there was 1 boring bit in the whole film and at 3 hours long I was sad to see it finish, absolutely stonking I enjoyed it more than the Dark Knight.

A

Anonymous

Heh, my USA Director's Cut arrived today around 1pm - I was going to watch it tonight, but a friend is coming round tomorrow so I thought I might save it until then......hmmm, friends, eh? There's only so much a fella should do for 'em..........

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I find dvd world usa are good got my copy 2 weeks ago you have the choice to order street date or advanced date on most pre orders. Thought the film was good after hearing it's rubbish.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
v1c:Thought the film was good after hearing it's rubbish.

Alan Moore (the writer of the watchmen graphic novel) HATES the movie. Because he hates it, all the comic book fanboys have decided they also hate it.

The film itself is almost a carbon copy of the book but because its condensed it does make it a little confusing (Especially the shorter version). As the film was made FOR the fans of the comic then its left to normal 'joe bloggs' to pick up the slack

For the record, I have the graphic novel and ive seen the shorter version and loved it. I'll watch the directors cut soon methinks

Im waiting for somone to make a series (Not a film, it would be cut FAR too much) of PREACHER ~

preacher1.jpg

Preacher is absolutely awesome (Although I doubt ANY live version will be a patch on it)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK: Alan Moore (the writer of the watchmen graphic novel) HATES the movie.

I think Alan Moore just hates Hollywood, he's hated EVERY movie made out of his material, granted he had a point with The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, that was dreadful, but most of the time he's just being a miserable SOB.

I notice it never stops him from taking Hollywood's dollar though, nothing like sticking by your principles...

TRENDING THREADS