my system

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Andrewjvt said:
Btw those speaker cables made such a difference also

Hi Andrew

Glad you also like the speaker cables
thumbs_up.gif
Worth the wait
shades_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Andrew, what genres of music you usually listen to?

I have the Hegel H160 and find it not particularly suitable for rock/metal, at least not with the speakers I tried so far.
So I'm looking for a pair of speakers or an upgrade up the Hegel lineup that will satisfy that need while preserving what I think the H160 does best - playing more delicate genres like jazz and classical music, if such thing is generally possible to achieve.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
I thought the transmission line boxes had a stronger upper bass, 80-150hz. The ATC's I thought though went lower, and more integrated. It's quite deceiving, because the drivers are so well matched. It's not a bass forward presentation, but it's deep and powerful, and it's impossible to kill them.

No. The issue with transmission lines is apparently usually the opposite, good low bass extention but upper bass suck-out.

I read an article on that, I think in HifiNews. I look for it tomorrow.

SteveR750

drummerman said:
SteveR750 said:
I thought the transmission line boxes had a stronger upper bass, 80-150hz. The ATC's I thought though went lower, and more integrated. It's quite deceiving, because the drivers are so well matched. It's not a bass forward presentation, but it's deep and powerful, and it's impossible to kill them.

No. The issue with transmission lines is apparently usually the opposite, good low bass extention but upper bass suck-out.

I  read an article on that, I think in HifiNews. I look for it tomorrow.

I'm relaying what I heard with PMC speakers, not hypothesising.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I can certainly vouch for the bass, hugley accurate starts and stops perfectly. It underpins the entire soundtrack and instills great timing and dynamism to any music.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
drummerman said:
SteveR750 said:

No. The issue with transmission lines is apparently usually the opposite, good low bass extention but upper bass suck-out.

I read an article on that, I think in HifiNews. I look for it tomorrow.

I'm relaying what I heard with PMC speakers, not hypothesising.

I should have phrased that differently!

PMC have been long enough in the business :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The Primare SPA23 AV might be a good visual and tonal match....though it is expensive.

Arcam and Anthem are also excellent...though not cheap, either.

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Would you prefer one with the Atmos option, or will one without do?

Andrewjvt said:
My hegel has a av bypass so i can use the 360 as a power amp for the 2 front speakers in a 5.1 or 7.1 set up.

Now if i do that, whats the best av reciever to set it up with. One where i can assign the amp channels so that i could say biamp the center (might not be worth it)and then run the rest to the surrounds.

Was not to fussed with 5.1 as music 2 channel more important but with using the hegel as a power amp and having surround sound without having to disconnect speaker cables, the idea is giving me another itch.

All this will have to be done after the new year as holiday back home is more important.

Any advice welcome

SteveR750

Andrewjvt said:
SteveR750 said:
I'd be interested in how a H360 / passive SCM40s compares to a pair of active SCM40s. Rick? :)

I would also considering its about roughly the same cost or close.

Ish. I'd probably plonk a Cambridge cxn at the front end, or even the 851 dac/preamp but that makes it comparatively a more expensive system. Tbh, if I was upgrading to an active system, I'd be looking at some scm50a speakers anyway, but the above comparison is a valid starting reference point.

alexlyf

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

Just wonder if any of you has any experience in comparing the H160 and ATC SIA2 MkII integrated amplifier, especially in their sound quality?

SteveR750

alexlyf said:
Thank you, Steve. *drinks*

In summary Alex, the hegel is better equipped with the dac, didn't compare the headphone amps, but the hegel is very good. It sounded more neutral and tighter and more powerful. The atc amp looks like a brute but is more of a kitten, I was somewhat disappointed by it.

thumbs_up.gif
Andrewjvt said:
That would be good although ive made my mind up on the passive 40s with the 360

Thats my system for next 10 years. But have to wait till after new year

Hi Andrew

curved SCM40/H360 is a top combination
regular_smile.gif
I still cannot get over the qualities of the H360 though. Whilst packing up last night i must have stopped at least seven times last night to admire the performance of the H360
shades_smile.gif
only to realize that i must finish up and go home *biggrin* Simply put that football analogy about the H360 was spot on
thumbs_up.gif

Btw, we had a client who has had his H360 for a few weeks visit us recently. He was ecstatic about the H360 "unbelievable" "i've never sat down and listened to music for hours before" "absolutely stunning"

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Boomer

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I am new to the forum, I have been reading this post for a while and I have finally decided to hit the hi end market by purchasing the Hegel H360(straight to the top), I am not going to lie here I did not even audition it (more fool me). I do have 30 days to send it back if im not happy, but im pretty sure i will be happy.

My equipment I will be using with it are:

Dynaudio Focus 160s

Apple Macbook Pro (top model) Lossless Files with Audirvana Plus

Teac VRDS 20 CD Transport

QED Revelation Signiture Speaker Cable

QED Performance Digi Interconnect

QED Reference 40 RCAs

Chord Silver Plus USB

NVA Balanced Mains Unit (power)

Target HR40 Stands (a bit to low) or Solid Oak 50cm Stands

I am lacking some decent stands at the moment so im thinking of upgrading them next. Next year it will be a speaker upgrade if all goes well (maybe ATC standmounts).

Should receive the amp this week.

Any advise and comments are greatly apprieciated. ;)

Boomer

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Boomer said:
Hi All,

I am new to the forum, I have been reading this post for a while and I have finally decided to hit the hi end market by purchasing the Hegel H360(straight to the top), I am not going to lie here I did not even audition it (more fool me). I do have 30 days to send it back if im not happy, but im pretty sure i will be happy.

My equipment I will be using with it are:

Dynaudio Focus 160s

Apple Macbook Pro (top model) Lossless Files with Audirvana Plus

Teac VRDS 20 CD Transport

QED Revelation Signiture Speaker Cable

QED Performance Digi Interconnect

QED Reference 40 RCAs

Chord Silver Plus USB

NVA Balanced Mains Unit (power)

Target HR40 Stands (a bit to low) or Solid Oak 50cm Stands

I am lacking some decent stands at the moment so im thinking of upgrading them next. Next year it will be a speaker upgrade if all goes well (maybe ATC standmounts).

Should receive the amp this week.

Any advise and comments are greatly apprieciated. ;)

Only advise id give is to try plugging the amp straight into a single power socket and compare to the mains conditioner as it may subdue the sound

Thank You I will definetly give it a shot. It is a balanced mains unit though not a conditioner but it may have reverse effects as you say.

Boomer

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi Rick

I am using a

Magnum MF 300 Power

Nakamichi CA5eII Pre

Eastern electric Mini Max DAC

How do you think this will compare. lol

What do you think about speaker stands? How does the SCM19s sound with the H360?

Thanks ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts