my system

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Boomer

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
stevee1966 said:
I'm really going to have to make the journey for a demo aren't i - sooner the better.

Yes you are because I tell you something this amplifier (H360)is out of this world! It's almost perfect(natural) to my ears and I've only heard it with my Dynaudio Focus 160s! God knows what it's going to be like with the ATCs.

Boomer said:
stevee1966 said:
I'm really going to have to make the journey for a demo aren't i - sooner the better.

Yes you are because I tell you something this amplifier (H360) is out of this world! It's almost perfect (natural) to my ears and I've only heard it with my Dynaudio Focus 160s! God knows what it's going to be like with the ATCs.

Hi boomer

Nice one
thumbs_up.gif
Please have a listen to Professional Loving by Emika and Ipanema Beach by Sabado Playground and hear H360's top drawer bass quality
shades_smile.gif
Btw, to whet your appetite there's some pictures taken here of a H360/curved SCM40/JL Audio E-110 (x2) on our FB page/Timeline
regular_smile.gif
A bad ass system *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Boomer

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Boomer said:
stevee1966 said:

Yes you are because I tell you something this amplifier (H360) is out of this world! It's almost perfect (natural) to my ears and I've only heard it with my Dynaudio Focus 160s! God knows what it's going to be like with the ATCs.

Hi boomer

Nice one Please have a listen to Professional Loving by Emika and Ipanema Beach by Sabado Playground and hear H360's top drawer bass quality Btw, to whet your appetite there's some pictures taken here of a H360/curved SCM40/JL Audio E-110 (x2) on our FB page/Timeline A bad ass system *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

That really does look sweet, I wish I lived closer!

I will definetly give them tracks a listen when I get chance. :)

Edit: Just had a quick listen on spotify through the headphones and those tracks have some deep bass!!!

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Boomer said:
stevee1966 said:

Hi boomer

Nice one Please have a listen to Professional Loving by Emika and Ipanema Beach by Sabado Playground and hear H360's top drawer bass quality Btw, to whet your appetite there's some pictures taken here of a H360/curved SCM40/JL Audio E-110 (x2) on our FB page/Timeline A bad ass system *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

That professional loving by emika track probably has the largest bass I have ever heard on a track! Sounding awesome over here!

Boomer said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Boomer said:
Just had a chance to plug the H360 in for the first time, I've had it playing for an hour now and oh my God! It is the greatest sound I have ever heard in my living room, its so pure, clean and precise!!!!!

Wait out for a full review in a week or two, its going to be a good one!!! ;)

Hi boomer

Sounds familiar One our clients is to put it mildly also pleased with his new H360 powering Monitor Audio's GX200's

"unbelievable"

"i've never sat down and listened to music for hours before"

"absolutely stunning"

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks Rick, I don't think were going to find anything as good as the H360 in that price bracket. Just in the process of redecorating my living room so the Hegel is out of action this weekend but I've got all week to really get into it.

Got a new Hifi rack on the way too. ;)

Hi boomer

Hopefully you've completed decorating
thumbs_up.gif
I wouldn't fancy painting in this cold and wet weather
thumbs_down.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Boomer said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Boomer said:
stevee1966 said:

Hi boomer

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

That really does look sweet, I wish I lived closer!

I will definetly give them tracks a listen when I get chance. :)

Edit: Just had a quick listen on spotify through the headphones and those tracks have some deep bass!!!

Hi boomer

The bass on Professional Loving is off the scale and i love it
shades_smile.gif
Your Focus 160's are going to thank you and the H360 for it. Not *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

radiorog said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Boomer said:
stevee1966 said:

Hi boomer

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

That professional loving by emika track probably has the largest bass I have ever heard on a track! Sounding awesome over here!

Hi radiorog

Glad you like Professional Loving track. The bass on this track reminds me very much of old school Hollywood action and horror movies
regular_smile.gif
Common Exchange is another excellent by Emika.
thumbs_up.gif
Anyway i've been listening to another track with great bass by Jamie xx which is appropiately called Gosh
shades_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Boomer

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
That track has magnificent bass Rick, the neighbours were not impressed, but I didn't care. I didn't put the volume past 55 though, i was tempted to really turn it up but I got to think of the neighbours.

Hi Boomer

Nice one. Glad you got to hear Profesional Loving through the H360. I want to add stupendous to awesome and magnificent because I believe Professional Loving is probably the ultimate track to put amplification through its paces
thumbs_up.gif
I hope Emika is asked to do a Bond song as I think she'll do a great job
shades_smile.gif

Have you heard the other tracks which I mentioned to radiorog?

Btw, I am bulding up the courage to put Professional Loving through the H30 *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
alexlyf said:
Hi Guys,

I have a pair of ATC 11 and considered upgrading to a 19 or 40 in may be a few years. Do you think a H160 would be more than sufficient? or will the extra cost for a H360 a complete waste of money?

Cheers,

Alex

I have the ATC SCM40 II and the H160 and it's far more than sufficient! It's an outstanding combination.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:
That would be good although ive made my mind up on the passive 40s with the 360

Thats my system for next 10 years. But have to wait till after new year

Hi Andrew

curved SCM40/H360 is a top combination I still cannot get over the qualities of the H360 though. Whilst packing up last night i must have stopped at least seven times last night to admire the performance of the H360 only to realize that i must finish up and go home *biggrin* Simply put that football analogy about the H360 was spot on

Btw, we had a client who has had his H360 for a few weeks visit us recently. He was ecstatic about the H360 "unbelievable" "i've never sat down and listened to music for hours before" "absolutely stunning"

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

2 channel bluray using rca is also very good

Hi Andrew

Why are you using RCA please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

What's the best type of connectors for an Oppo bluray player to the H160 for two channel music disks?

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Boomer

Nice one. Glad you got to hear Profesional Loving through the H360. I want to add stupendous to awesome and magnificent because I believe Professional Loving is probably the ultimate track to put amplification through its paces I hope Emika is asked to do a Bond song as I think she'll do a great job

Btw, I am bulding up the courage to put Professional Loving through the H30 *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Angel by Massive Attack is another bass monster that separates the capable from the weedy.

and then there's this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukyRPpR8jg

50 seconds into this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQdZm4PqWGs&feature=youtu.be

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Jota180 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:

Hi Andrew

curved SCM40/H360 is a top combination I still cannot get over the qualities of the H360 though. Whilst packing up last night i must have stopped at least seven times last night to admire the performance of the H360 only to realize that i must finish up and go home *biggrin* Simply put that football analogy about the H360 was spot on

Btw, we had a client who has had his H360 for a few weeks visit us recently. He was ecstatic about the H360 "unbelievable" "i've never sat down and listened to music for hours before" "absolutely stunning"

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Andrew

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

What's the best type of connectors for an Oppo bluray player to the H160 for two channel music disks?

There is hardly any difference between them but some prefer digital coaxial as it seems more dominant or dynamic and the optical more smooth but you can try and i bet you cant notice.

I personally would use coaxial.

Btw: im using rca for now only because i have them. When i get a new bluray player ill buy a decent cable and use the much better dac in the hegel instead of the bluray or i may get an av reciever and use the the home theater bypass to use the hegel as a power amp for the 2 fr9nt channels then every5hing will plug straight into that.

I'm using coaxial into Coax 1 to connect the UQ2 to the Hegel. What's the best option remaining for the Oppo into the Hegel?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Jota180 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Jota180 said:

There is hardly any difference between them but some prefer digital coaxial as it seems more dominant or dynamic and the optical more smooth but you can try and i bet you cant notice.

Btw: im using rca for now only because i have them. When i get a new bluray player ill buy a decent cable and use the much better dac in the hegel instead of the bluray or i may get an av reciever and use the the home theater bypass to use the hegel as a power amp for the 2 fr9nt channels then every5hing will plug straight into that.

I'm using coaxial into Coax 1 to connect the UQ2 to the Hegel. What's the best option remaining for the Oppo into the Hegel?

What Oppo player do you use? The 95/105/105D have an excellent DAC-section, so you could use analogue outs, preferably over XLR. This approach has the (theoretical) advantage that your digital signal travels from transport to DAC thru a I2S connection, which transfers the clock data separately (whereas SPDIF squashes it all together).

If we're talking 93 or 103, the optical out is probably best...

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
Jota180 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Jota180 said:

What Oppo player do you use? The 95/105/105D have an excellent DAC-section, so you could use analogue outs, preferably over XLR. This approach has the (theoretical) advantage that your digital signal travels from transport to DAC thru a I2S connection, which transfers the clock data separately (whereas SPDIF squashes it all together).

If we're talking 93 or 103, the optical out is probably best...

The BDP 103.

Boomer

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone, just a quick update for you all, over the weekend I placed my old equipment on for comparison( Magnum Power/ Nakamichi Pre/EE DAC) and to my amazement the old stuff was just so good I could barely tell the difference. I sat down and listened to a full album on the Hegel then transfered back to my old equipment, I repeated this many times with different music until I came up with a conclusion.

The conclusion is that the Hegel really is a very good amplifier, but I thought technology had moved on and I feel that it hasn't and that's just not fair.

Overall the Magnum combo had a clearer presentation and cleaner bass. The Hegels bass was very slightly deeper but if anything the bass was slightly cloudy which kinda interfered with the MIDs and uppers. I found a slight improvement on the Hegel when I used the EE DAC with the Hegel, it cleaned the bass up slightly.

I would say that I do prefer the Hegel overall but for £3400, its not for me. I believe company's need to focus on moving technology forward and I just don't think it going to happen.

I will be trying the Hegel vs Magnum again this weekend with a different set of speakers, it will be my final decision whether to send it back or not. It's such a shame because I like the convenience of the Hegel but for me sound quality for the right price come first for me.

P.S I nearly bought the H160 and if I did I feel it would have been two steps behind my Magnum.

Jota180 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Boomer

Nice one. Glad you got to hear Profesional Loving through the H360. I want to add stupendous to awesome and magnificent because I believe Professional Loving is probably the ultimate track to put amplification through its paces I hope Emika is asked to do a Bond song as I think she'll do a great job

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Angel by Massive Attack is another bass monster that separates the capable from the weedy.

and then there's this.

50 seconds into this...

Hi Jota180

Angel is very good however i found it hasn't got the sheer power and punch of Professional Loving.

I'll have a look at the videos. Thanks
thumbs_up.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Boomer

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
The Hegel is a great amplifier and deserves great credit. If you are looking for a good quality all in one system then this could be it! But if your looking for cheap second hand hifi system that has similar qualitys, then try Magnum or Inca Tech amplifers as they are very close to what the Hegel offers.

I must say though, its the convenience of the Hegel that I love most, the fact that you can do everything from one box is great. The onboard DAC is pretty good but my old EE Mini Max Dac seemed to perform slightly better overall, it gave a tighter bass which cleaned the overall presentation.

The Hegels overall sound is powerful, authoritive, clear and detailed. Compairing to my Magnum the Hegel had a slightly muffled bass which clouded the overall presentation, the Magnum couldnt keep it as together at louder volumes than the Hegel but lets face it the Magnum is only a 3rd of the power of the Hegel.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Jota180 said:
and then there's this.

50 seconds into this...

Think i deserve a medal, instead of a Hegel, having stuck that garbage out for 50 seconds ;-)

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
stevee1966 said:
Jota180 said:
and then there's this.

50 seconds into this...

Think i deserve a medal, instead of a Hegel, having stuck that garbage out for 50 seconds ;-)

I suppose you're about to give us a difinitive list of what the world should consider constitutes "good music" and your reasoning what qualifies you to be the ultimate authority on this list! *dirol*

Andrewjvt said:
Jota180 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:

Hi Andrew

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Andrew

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Andrew

It's going to have to be a pretty special AV receiver to be as good as or to improve upon the pre/DAC stages of the H360. Probably best to leave/connect your main two channel source/s into the H360 and HDMI out from the Blu Ray player to the AV receiver for movie soundtracks (still using the H360's HT bypass to drive front FL, FR).

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

alexlyf

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi Andrewjvt,

What do you think of the H360 matching with ATC speakers? Do you think it's a good combo for jazz, female vocal and classical music?

I went for an audtion of the H160 with some floor stand speakers, they are not ATCs, sensitivity around 85dB but the brand and model name escaped me. We listened to some hires files using Audivana on my Macbook pro. Although the sound stage was great, I wasn't too impressed by the bass. From the general impression of this thread, my guess is the speakers placement to blame since the speakers have rear bass port hole and they were about 10' from the back wall.

Regards,

TRENDING THREADS