my system

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

alexlyf

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your reply, Andrew. It was very insightful.

You have hit the nail on the head as my Arcam FMJ19 was more boomy which sounds kind of cozy and warm. I understand the FMJ19 is a terrible mismatch to my ATC power-wise but I was too blind trusting reviews and don’t know what to look for when I started this expensive hobby (yet getting more expensive indeed LOL). I want my next amplifier to be a significant upgrade and last me a long time, decent equipment that can make me forget all the technical mumbo jumbo and enjoy the music.

alexlyf

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your invitation, Andrew. I wish I could pay a visit but unfortunately I don't live in the UK. It's good to hear about your opinion though :)

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
was the very first thing I noticed when I upgraded with the Vincent recently. It's difficult to describe how much difference that control makes to the overall sound, and the comment about 'some may think the bass is missing' is spot on, as my partner commented that she thought on some tracks I'd turned the bass down. I explained that because the amp is controlling the speakers better than the old Yamaha it would sound that way on certain recordings. Got to agree on the 'night and day' comment too, for me the Vincent has been one of the most enjoyable upgrades ever, even knowing the Yam was the weak link.

Andrewjvt said:
Sound image (australia) Best amplifier between $2000 - $10000

Hi Andrew

Looks like there's no stopping the H160
shades_smile.gif
How many product of the year awards is that now for the H160
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
What the Hegel H160 did better than any but the absolute best amps I have heard was to generate correct-feeling tonal and structural balances in every loudspeaker I connected it to. If I were a nascent speaker designer en route to the Consumer Electronics Show in hopes of finding dealers, or a blossoming audiophile exasperated by all the advertising hype and reviewer hyperbole, I'd be studying Hegel's website now. The H160 is ready to make a diverse lot of audiophiles very happy—maybe even Class A in Stereophile's "Recommended Components" happy!
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/hegel-music-systems-h160-integrated-amplifier-page-2#LzA7fK7hM5UR7Zt8.99

Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:

Hi Andrew

Looks like there's no stopping the H160 How many product of the year awards is that now for the H160

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

But its all the different countries that makes it so good. So many different amps around all over the world to choose from. Not just the sound quality but the value for money that most people dont get as its pretty costly at £2300. Its also funny how lots of speaker manufacturers are using hegel now at the shows.

Hi Andrew

Yes, even at a RRP (Rick's Retail Price *biggrin* ) of £2350 the H160's quality of amplification and DAC (some of our clients have subsituted their Hugo's as they prefer the performance of H160's internal dac) goes a long way towards justifying the H160's reputation of offering excellent VFM
thumbs_up.gif

Btw, i believe a well known and highly regrarded British loudspeaker manufacturer is also using the H360
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Jota180 said:
What the Hegel H160 did better than any but the absolute best amps I have heard was to generate correct-feeling tonal and structural balances in every loudspeaker I connected it to. If I were a nascent speaker designer en route to the Consumer Electronics Show in hopes of finding dealers, or a blossoming audiophile exasperated by all the advertising hype and reviewer hyperbole, I'd be studying Hegel's website now. The H160 is ready to make a diverse lot of audiophiles very happy—maybe even Class A in Stereophile's "Recommended Components" happy!Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/hegel-music-systems-h160-integrated-a...

Its very indepth review. Now if you think the 160 is good wait till you hear the 360, hopefully with some atc40s but really any loudspeaker you fancy.

I have the ATC SCM40 II. :D

Andrewjvt said:
Its very indepth review. Now if you think the 160 is good wait till you hear the 360, hopefully with some atc40s but really any loudspeaker you fancy.

Hi Andrew

+1
thumbs_up.gif

Btw, demoed/sold a H160 (last Friday) to power a pair of Dynaudio loudspeakers. Client was/is extremely happy with the H160 and that is putting it mildly
regular_smile.gif

A similar situation on Saturday when a couple bought a H360 after having heard numerous amplifiers over several months elsewhere and at shows. The wife's view was that 'they all sound the same'. She heard the H360 and said to her husband "your speakers (Tannoy) have woken up"
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Jota180 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Jota180 said:
What the Hegel H160 did better than any but the absolute best amps I have heard was to generate correct-feeling tonal and structural balances in every loudspeaker I connected it to. If I were a nascent speaker designer en route to the Consumer Electronics Show in hopes of finding dealers, or a blossoming audiophile exasperated by all the advertising hype and reviewer hyperbole, I'd be studying Hegel's website now. The H160 is ready to make a diverse lot of audiophiles very happy—maybe even Class A in Stereophile's "Recommended Components" happy!Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/hegel-music-systems-h160-integrated-a...

I have the ATC SCM40 II. :D

Im jealous and i hate you (joking)

What amp do you have?

Hegel H160. :D Mostly streaming from NAS/Internet raido via Naim UQ2 (I love using their control app) - digital out then into the H160 using it's inbuilt DAC.

I have some music BluRays that get played on an Oppo that's hooked up with the Hegel/ATC.

Very nice it is too. It took me some time to adjust after owning the KEF LS50 for a couple of years but after about 6-8 weeks I think I'm now fully 'acclimatised' to the new sound. The KEF's were amazing, but there's no doubt of the benefit of a three way speaker when you turn things up a bit. The ATC's simply do not get flustered at any level I can cope with.

alexlyf

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
I was trying to hold off until the next major review come out, but god damn, I kept recalling the excitment when I last heard the H160. (Also reading this thread is not helping too, you guys really pushed me off the edge *blum3*) So one day after leaving office, I went back to the shop I audited the amps without an appointment, they were playing something on their H30 and i thought wow that sounded good. Anyway, I talked to the shopkeeper again about my concern for the 'lack of bass' during our last audition and he kindly hooked up the H360 with their ELECTROCOMPANIET Nordic Tone -Model 1, a pair of 3 ways floorstand speakers, and played some Chinese drum performance (or was it Japanese i had no idea). Only this time I was completely aware of what to hear in the bass.

OMG, such power and bass control, the excitment and the agility, and all the texture changes when the musicans beated different part of the drums, just WOW! Nothing like my Arcam with boomy and muddy bass... so...

shut-up-and-take-my-money-por-que-nao-pensei-nisso.jpg

H360 incoming, ETA 2 weeeks. *biggrin*

Damn my wallet just got that much lighter but I can't wait! Also Adele sounded ever so good! *music2* *drinks*

stevee1966 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
stevee1966 said:
Still need to sort out a demo of the H160.

Hi stevee1966

shades_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick i hear you. It's the 8 hour, 400 mile round trip that's slowing me down on this, but sure i'll get it sorted at some point.

Hi stevee1966

It's very much likely to be worth it as other clients have discovered after experiencing quality of Hegel electronics
thumbs_up.gif

Btw, had a client forward me some pictures of his H80 amp/DAC - Monitor Audio Silver 6 based system. Room and system look great
shades_smile.gif
His comments about his system "amazing Hegel amplifier..it drives the Monitor Audio loudspeakers gorgeously"
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
alexlyf said:
I was trying to hold off until the next major review come out, but god damn, I kept recalling the excitment when I last heard the H160. (Also reading this thread is not helping too, you guys really pushed me off the edge *blum3*) So one day after leaving office, I went back to the shop I audited the amps without an appointment, they were playing something on their H30 and i thought wow that sounded good. Anyway, I talked to the shopkeeper again about my concern for the 'lack of bass' during our last audition and he kindly hooked up the H360 with their ELECTROCOMPANIET Nordic Tone -Model 1, a pair of 3 ways floorstand speakers, and played some Chinese drum performance (or was it Japanese i had no idea). Only this time I was completely aware of what to hear in the bass.

OMG, such power and bass control, the excitment and the agility, and all the texture changes when the musicans beated different part of the drums, just WOW! Nothing like my Arcam with boomy and muddy bass... so...

I am not suprised that the Hegel sounded so good when paired with the £22,500 Electrocompaniet Nordic tone loudspeakers, the model 1 is one of the most amazing speakers I have ever heard, very special indeed , I just wish I could afford a pair . *i-m_so_happy*

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/electrocompaniet-nordic-tone-model-1/

nordic-tone-model-1_zpswvucmc1j.jpg

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
stevee1966 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
stevee1966 said:
Still need to sort out a demo of the H160.

Hi stevee1966

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick i hear you. It's the 8 hour, 400 mile round trip that's slowing me down on this, but sure i'll get it sorted at some point.

Hi stevee1966

It's very much likely to be worth it as other clients have discovered after experiencing quality of Hegel electronics

Btw, had a client forward me some pictures of his H80 amp/DAC - Monitor Audio Silver 6 based system. Room and system look great  His comments about his system "amazing Hegel amplifier..it drives the Monitor Audio loudspeakers gorgeously"

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Yes, i've seen the pics, but didn't pay too much attention to the system. I was distracted by the wallpaper.

Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:

Hi Andrew

Looks like there's no stopping the H160 How many product of the year awards is that now for the H160

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

But its all the different countries that makes it so good. So many different amps around all over the world to choose from. Not just the sound quality but the value for money that most people dont get as its pretty costly at £2300. Its also funny how lots of speaker manufacturers are using hegel now at the shows.

Hi Andrew

Yes, even at a RRP (Rick's Retail Price *biggrin* ) of £2350 the H160's quality of amplification and DAC (some of our clients have subsituted their Hugo's as they prefer the performance of H160's internal dac) goes a long way towards justifying the H160's reputation of offering excellent VFM

Btw, i believe a well known and highly regrarded British loudspeaker manufacturer is also using the H360

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Kef?

Also regarding the dac, when i tested the 160 and 360 at yours the inbuilt dac comparred very well with that ridiculously expensive cd player you had. Cant remember the price but am i correct in thinking it cost more than the amps?

Hi Andrew

Better not say just yet however Hegel electronics are also at KEF
shades_smile.gif

The CDP used was e Densen B440 Plus at £3400.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

shamrock

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Hello

I have a question for Andrewjvt or for who had the luck to listen to both H160 and H360

I have an HEGEL H160 and I'm very happy with it, it's still an integrated amplified and probably

moving to the DAC+pre+power might improve the sound even further but I have no space and no funds to go

that way and the all in one solution is a winner to me and I don't regret it a single moment

I initially had the problem of bass peaks in my room (around 56Hz and 89Hz) that 'muffled' the lower mids

but I've managed to solve it with a behringer deq2496 with just a couple of attenuation at above freqs using its PEQ,

the end result was excellent, no more stationary bass waves and mids now clean and precise .

I believe this applies due to the interation between ampli/speakers/room

I even have a minidsp for room correction but that's another story (and fixing the room bass is waaay more important imho)

Now here is my question. I listen mostly a low/middle volume and with H160 (speakers are 85db sensitivity) I usually find to be

between the 35 / 55 volume band (overall 20 unit band) , rarely outside that band so clearly no need of more power.

I like the volume control is so precise and I always find the

volume setting that's perfect fro me in that range. To make i play really loud I can increase to 75 but

only when no one is around or family will tell me to switch that thing off!

If I decide to upgrade to h360 will the additional

power limit the volume range so to restict the volume band forst listening at low volume? Or will it just maitain it and extend just

the overall power at high volume...hope it makes sense but lots of talks power etc etc but then

a normal listening volume in an household at evening is not going to be that relevant....

in summary I'm trying to understand if the upgrade would be first of all beneficial or second of all even decremental to low/mid volume listening sessions or if it would still make sense. When decremental I mean the 20 unit band I've mentioned before

will limit to say 10 or 15 unit band so to reduce the fine tuning of volume that is so important to me

Andrewjvt you owned them both did you find a difference with regard this after you upgraded?

Hope the whole thing makes sense to somebody willing to reply me!

cheers

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
shamrock said:
Hello

I have a question for Andrewjvt or for who had the luck to listen to both H160 and H360

I have an HEGEL H160 and I'm  very happy with it, it's  still an integrated amplified and probably

moving to the DAC+pre+power might improve the sound even further but I have no space and no funds to go

that way and the all in one solution is a winner to me and I don't  regret it a single moment

I initially had the problem of bass peaks in my room (around 56Hz and 89Hz) that 'muffled' the lower mids

but I've managed to solve it with a behringer deq2496 with just a couple of attenuation at above freqs using its PEQ,

the end result was excellent, no more stationary bass waves and mids now clean and precise .

I believe this applies due to the interation between  ampli/speakers/room

I even have a minidsp for room correction but that's another story (and fixing the room bass is waaay more important imho)

Now here is my question. I listen mostly a low/middle volume and with H160 (speakers are 85db sensitivity) I usually find to be

between the 35 / 55 volume band (overall 20 unit band) , rarely outside that band so clearly no need of more power.?

I like the volume control is so precise and I always find the

volume setting that's perfect fro me in that range. To make i play really loud I can increase to 75 but

only when no one is around or family will tell me to switch that thing off!

If I decide to upgrade to  h360 will the additional

power limit the volume range so to restict the volume band forst listening at low volume? Or will it just maitain it and extend just

the overall power at high volume...hope it makes sense but lots of talks power etc etc but then

a normal listening volume in an household at evening is not going to be that relevant....

in summary I'm trying to understand if the upgrade would be first of all beneficial or second of all even decremental to low/mid volume listening sessions or if it would still make sense. When decremental I mean the 20 unit band I've mentioned before

will limit to say 10 or 15 unit band so to reduce the fine tuning of volume that is so important to me

Andrewjvt you owned them both did you find a difference with regard this after you upgraded?

Hope the whole thing makes sense to somebody willing to reply me!

cheers

?

?

Can't answer your question but if you do decide to upgrade then i'll take the H160 off your hands.

Hi shamrock

Just as with the H160 I've also found the H360's level gradually increases from low to high output which gives enough scope to find the optimum listening level. This is also true of the H80 amp/DAC.

Btw, what speakers are you using please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

richiesuk

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
was it me? :)

I am extremely happy with the Hegel H160 with Dynaudio Focus 160 speakers!

Finally I get rid of the need to upgrade!

thanks a lot Rick@Musicraft!

*music2*

TRENDING THREADS