my system

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I've got my Hegel H160 connected to a Roksan M2 cd player via a digital coax cable.

With this configuration, and the DAC on the Hegel doing all the work, could i in theory use any pile of junk as my cd transport, and not hear any lowering in sound quality ?

Just thinking that I could use my Cambridge Audio Azur universal player (which is part of my set up for playing blu-rays) to play my cd's instead of the Roksan, which means I could make some money by selling it, and also free up some shelf space.

Seems reasonable ???

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
stevee1966 said:
I've got my Hegel H160 connected to a Roksan M2 cd player via a digital coax cable.

With this configuration, and the DAC on the Hegel doing all the work, could i in theory use any pile of junk as my cd transport, and not hear any lowering in sound quality ?

Just thinking that I could use my Cambridge Audio Azur universal player (which is part of my set up for playing blu-rays) to play my cd's instead of the Roksan, which means I could make some money by selling it, and also free up some shelf space.

Seems reasonable ???

I'd be very interested in what you find if you do this. I hooked up an old but decent (Denon) DVD/CD player to my Devialet instead of my usual Mac Mini and using the optical output it sounds awful.

Yet some insist they cannot hear a difference between transports/digital sources......

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi all! Thinking of getting an H80 someday. How do you think it would match with my Rega RS3 speakers?

Also, how would it's DAC compare to the Rega DAC? Would it be better than an Elex-R and a Rega DAC?

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
stevee1966 said:

Seems reasonable ???

Id rip my cds to flac and use a media software and skip out the transport altogether

That's something that could happen down the line (all of my cd's are currently ripped, with loads at Apple lossless, as i used to have an ipod but these days use a 2nd generation Fiio X5), however my question is the here and now.

Is there any reason to keep my Roksan cd player when i've got the Cambridge Audio Azur 752 to do the job (which i need for bluray etc), considering that i'm using the Dac on the Hegel to process the audio.

Thanks

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. For now I have a Brio-R and a Beresford Bushmaster Dac. Thinking of upgrading to Rega elex-R and DAC or the Hegel. If I get a Hegel I'll also have to get a phono stage but my guess is either option will cost the same.

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Tnx! But since I'm not living in uk it'd be difficult to call him from here. I have a nearby dealer where I can give the Hegel a listen, though not with my speakers. I can't find a place to demo the Rega, though I can get it easily online. The DAC I'd get an used one. It'd be a half blind with a lot of faith purchase. I have a Brio-R so I'm quite acquainted with the Rega house sound.

stevee1966 said:
Just thinking that I could use my Cambridge Audio Azur universal player (which is part of my set up for playing blu-rays) to play my cd's

Seems reasonable ???

Hi stevee1966

Perfectly reasonable in using the Azur as a transport to feed the H160's DAC with digital (PCM) data.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:
Harbeth are using hegel h360 at the bristol show

Hi Andrew

Great news.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Well i bet they will sound very good powered by the h360

Hi Andrew

+1

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Shows them with h360 h160 hd30 with kef reference speakers also

Hi Andrew

Yes, with Reference 1's and thoroughly enjoyable combinations. The HD30 DAC really is very special.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:

Hi Andrew

Great news.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Andrew

+1

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Andrew

Yes, with Reference 1's and thoroughly enjoyable combinations. The HD30 DAC really is very special.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Ill have a listen when i upgrade to h30 x2 mono with scm100s haha I can dream hey

Hi Andrew

Fair enough.

Btw, earlier on sold a P30 with a H30.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:

Hi Andrew

Great news.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Andrew

+1

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Andrew

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Ill have a listen when i upgrade to h30 x2 mono with scm100s haha I can dream hey

http://www.amazon.com/Waring-SCM100-Professional-Snow-Maker/dp/B00633M5SI

Enjoy!

Andrewjvt said:

Id love to hear the pairing and compare to atc.
I heard the Harbeth's at Bristol on Sunday and was wowed by their naturalness on speech. Their sample tracks included some light opera with beautifully clear voices, and an extract from a Sherlock Holmes radio play (I presume from Radio 4). All pure BBC stuff!

I asked about the source and Alan Shaw (for it was he) said Hegel amps and a cheap PC. Apparantly a famous amp with a 20 year guarantee had blown up on them, hence the Hegel.

Next door, I had earlier heard some stand mounted KEF Ref 1 (in mirrored finish) driven by Hegel amps in their own room. I was bowled over by a beautiful recording of a Norwegian female vocalist, though of course on a recording I'd never heard before. The KEFs sounded huge, though, more like you'd expect from large floorstanders for bass extension and image size. Other tracks were similarly impressive.

My Krell is 18 years old this year, and cannot last forever. I think a Hegel of some sort my have to be on my audition list!

(Interesting thread, btw!)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
I heard the Harbeth's at Bristol on Sunday and was wowed by their naturalness on speech.  Their sample tracks included some light opera with beautifully clear voices, and an extract from a Sherlock Holmes radio play (I presume from Radio 4).  All pure BBC stuff!

I asked about the source and Alan Shaw (for it was he) said Hegel amps and a cheap PC.  Apparantly a famous amp with a 20 year guarantee had blown up on them, hence the Hegel. ?

Next door, I had earlier heard some stand mounted KEF Ref 1 (in mirrored finish) driven by Hegel amps in their own room.  I was bowled over by a beautiful recording of a Norwegian female vocalist, though of course on a recording I'd never heard before.  The KEFs sounded huge, though, more like you'd expect from large floorstanders for bass extension and image size.  Other tracks were similarly impressive. ?

My Krell is 18 years old this year, and cannot last forever.  I think a Hegel of some sort my have to be on my audition list!

The new Refs sound amazing in the right system....and those Ref 1s do sound more like Floorstanders. They actually have similar specs to my 205/2s.

nopiano said:
Andrewjvt said:

Id love to hear the pairing and compare to atc.
I heard the Harbeth's at Bristol on Sunday and was wowed by their naturalness on speech. Their sample tracks included some light opera with beautifully clear voices, and an extract from a Sherlock Holmes radio play (I presume from Radio 4). All pure BBC stuff!

I asked about the source and Alan Shaw (for it was he) said Hegel amps and a cheap PC. Apparantly a famous amp with a 20 year guarantee had blown up on them, hence the Hegel.

Next door, I had earlier heard some stand mounted KEF Ref 1 (in mirrored finish) driven by Hegel amps in their own room. I was bowled over by a beautiful recording of a Norwegian female vocalist, though of course on a recording I'd never heard before. The KEFs sounded huge, though, more like you'd expect from large floorstanders for bass extension and image size. Other tracks were similarly impressive.

My Krell is 18 years old this year, and cannot last forever. I think a Hegel of some sort my have to be on my audition list!

Hi nopiano

Good to hear. Nice one.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

guerph

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I'm hoping someone can help with my questions.

I'm interested in Hegel H160, particularly its ability as DLNA/AirPlay functionality. I have Synology NAS connected to Airport Extreme router upstairs. I have my hi-fi setup downstairs. If I set up an Airport Express as an wireless extender on my network and connect it via ethernet to the Hegel...am I good to go?

MUSICRAFT said:
theelitigator said:
Does anyone have any lead times of when hegel will be releasing their new flagship rost stereo integrated soundengine amplifier?

Thanks

Hi theelitigator

I believe Hegel's new Rost amp/DAC/Streamer is due to be available in the UK in October/November.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Are they brining out a 'last chance' CD player too, or am I getting confused?

nopiano said:
MUSICRAFT said:
theelitigator said:
Does anyone have any lead times of when hegel will be releasing their new flagship rost stereo integrated soundengine amplifier?

Thanks

Hi theelitigator

I believe Hegel's new Rost amp/DAC/Streamer is due to be available in the UK in October/November.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Are they brining out a 'last chance' CD player too, or am I getting confused?

Hi nopiano

Yes, Hegel will soon be releasing their new The Mohican CD player. If you're interested then some pictures, background and design info was on The Mohican was added to our FB page last Wednesday.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts