My Spendor/Chord system

ksattic

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, I wanted to share my system with everyone and ask if anyone else is using a similar amp/speaker combo.

https://goo.gl/photos/KJJu2sx2zeUcKPV77

I'm currently running the Spendor D9 with the Chord 3350 Integrated amp. I mostly listen to digital music via the Chord 2Qute FPGA DAC, but I also have a Pro-Ject Debut turntable with Ortofon 2M Red and Parasound ZPhono pre.

My previous system was the Spendor D7 with Chord 2650. Before that I had the Spendor A6 with a Rotel integrated and Musical Fidelity V-DAC.

The Spendor/Chord combo is unlike anything I've ever heard before. The D9 does especially well with songs that tend to sound muddy on other setups, like Radiohead's "Burn The Witch" and CeeLo Green's "Bright Lights Bigger City". It's also an amazingly musical and dynamic system.

Reactions: Babur72

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
ksattic said:
Hi all, I wanted to share my system with everyone and ask if anyone else is using a similar amp/speaker combo.

https://goo.gl/photos/KJJu2sx2zeUcKPV77

I'm currently running the Spendor D9 with the Chord 3350 Integrated amp. I mostly listen to digital music via the Chord 2Qute FPGA DAC, but I also have a Pro-Ject Debut turntable with Ortofon 2M Red and Parasound ZPhono pre.

My previous system was the Spendor D7 with Chord 2650. Before that I had the Spendor A6 with a Rotel integrated and Musical Fidelity V-DAC.

The Spendor/Chord combo is unlike anything I've ever heard before. The D9 does especially well with songs that tend to sound muddy on other setups, like Radiohead's "Burn The Witch" and CeeLo Green's "Bright Lights Bigger City". It's also an amazingly musical and dynamic system.

Hi,

Though the components are kind of backlit in front of the window, i must admit that is one fine & neat looking system.

BTW. I can see that you've chosen a wood veneer. But what colour specifically are your Spendor D9's? Did you have any issues when integrating the D9's with your room?

As you were formerly a D7 owner(& as a fan of the D7's myself), I'd be interested to know your subjective thoughts on the relative differences/strengths/weaknesses between both Spendor D series speakers?

Congrats.

Bobby

ksattic

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm into a variety of music - currently listening to classic alternative and rock, specifically:

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (just picked up the 1985 vinyl today, not the reissue)

ELO - Face The Music (found this on vinyl for $2 in California)

CCR - 20 Greatest Hits

However I'm also really enjoying the latest Jamiroquai album! Digital music definitely sounds better on my system - my turntable is entry level at best.

It's tough to get a good photo, but I'll try again soon with an SLR instead of a phone. The wood is dark walnut. I wanted the Spendor Dark, but it's a cool $1500 extra this side of the pond, and I couldn't justify spending that on an upgrade which wouldn't affect the sound in any way. It's a lovely finish, anyway.

Spendor's D range are very unfussy due to the non-directional tweeters. There's still a sweet spot for sound stage, but you don't have to toe in the speakers much if at all. The sound travels nicely throughout the house. The bass will get too much if they are too close to the wall, they go down extremely low. They can rival my REL S/5 SHO subwoofer.

I've not listened to the D1, but the D7 and D9 are very different speakers. The D9 midrange cone is completely isolated from the chamber enclosing the other drivers. The midrange driver is also higher up which gives a more pleasurable/natural height to the vocals. There is a much clearer separation between mid-range and treble on the D9, it gives an airier feel to songs which admittedly sometimes feels a bit strange, but I'm getting used to it. The D7 can get very slightly muddy in bass-heavy songs at decent volumes.

Reactions: Babur72

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
ksattic said:
I'm into a variety of music - currently listening to classic alternative and rock, specifically:

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (just picked up the 1985 vinyl today, not the reissue)

ELO - Face The Music (found this on vinyl for $2 in California)

CCR - 20 Greatest Hits

However I'm also really enjoying the latest Jamiroquai album! Digital music definitely sounds better on my system - my turntable is entry level at best.

It's tough to get a good photo, but I'll try again soon with an SLR instead of a phone. The wood is dark walnut. I wanted the Spendor Dark, but it's a cool $1500 extra this side of the pond, and I couldn't justify spending that on an upgrade which wouldn't affect the sound in any way. It's a lovely finish, anyway.

Spendor's D range are very unfussy due to the non-directional tweeters. There's still a sweet spot for sound stage, but you don't have to toe in the speakers much if at all. The sound travels nicely throughout the house. The bass will get too much if they are too close to the wall, they go down extremely low. They can rival my REL S/5 SHO subwoofer.

I've not listened to the D1, but the D7 and D9 are very different speakers. The D9 midrange cone is completely isolated from the chamber enclosing the other drivers. The midrange driver is also higher up which gives a more pleasurable/natural height to the vocals. There is a much clearer separation between mid-range and treble on the D9, it gives an airier feel to songs which admittedly sometimes feels a bit strange, but I'm getting used to it. The D7 can get very slightly muddy in bass-heavy songs at decent volumes.

Hi ksattic,

Appreciate you sharing your personal experiences with the D series Spendors.

Defiantly going against the fashion for complex assymetrical lute shaped, boat-backed/boat-fronted or tear-drop shaped cabinets made of aluminium alloy, carbon-fibre, HDF or formed birch-ply. Often combined with exotic driver materials like beryllium, carbon-fibre, ceramic, glass-fibre, diamond, kevlar, krypton(?), micro-foil, polymer spider, titanium, cones/domes/ribbons etc.

Personally speaking. I find the D9's conventional, retro & unapologetically understated aesthetics quite appealing.

Much like your own impressions, I also found the D7's lost a degree of composure & timing at times. Particularly when playing complex electronic, opera, orchestral, organ & rock music at higher volumes.

How far away from the rear & side boundaries would you say that they sound best?

I must remember to look out for the D9's at the next Hi-Fi show.

All the best.

Bobby.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts