my problem with the picture from a Panasonic TH-37PX80B

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I've just got a new Panasonic plasma tv and I find that when I play a black&white film on dvd (through an upscaling Philips DVP5990 player) there are frequent green flares where an area of high contrast moves across the screen. eg a dark figure quickly walking over a light background has a brief fringe of green flame down his back. I'm rather surprised, given the widespread praise for this tv. I keep the contrast quite low but that doesn't help much. Is there anything I can do? Or did I buy the wrong tv for someone who doesn't watch any broadcasts but only old, often b&w films on dvd? I was sold on the praise for its blacks and the naturalness of the image. Perhaps none of the reviewers tried it with a b&w source. 

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I don't have a plasma, but I think you are seeing 'plasma trails', which are I believe more apparent on black & white images.

There's information on why it happens here, including advice to minimise the effect (as you've lowered the contrast, the next best thing would be not to watch it in a very dark room (assuming you do), by putting some ambient low lighting around/behind the set)

A

Anonymous

Thanks ElectroMan, the link is very interesting. The effect will lessen over time, it seems, with use of the screen. I wonder if anyone has experience of this?ÿ

The effect is quite marked for me so I'm surprised to read that only 1% of viewers are bothered by it. On the other hand I didn't come across any mention of it anywhere before buying, about this tv or any other.

ÿI'm still wondering if I'd be better off with an LCD screen. Or do they too have surprises for us 'sensitive' types?

ÿThe article's final advice is, avoid b&w films. Oh dear!ÿ

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I did notice that - not very helpful!

There's discussion of this on this forum in this thread (and possibly others).

LCDs have their own issues (not as good black levels or motion handling as plasmas, although the best LCDs now come close), especially 'backlight bleed', which is a 'feature' of a lot of LCDs, but particularly the Sony W4500 series (there is a lot of discussion about this on this forum, to put it mildly!).

If you do watch a lot of black & white films and the 'plasma trails' are too distracting, then you may be better with an LCD (if you see the trails on one plasma, I think you'll see them on all of them).

I watch quite a lot of black & white films on my Sony LCD, and they look really good.

'Hope this helps ...

A

Anonymous

Hm in the thread you linked, ElectroMan, someone suggests it dies down by 200 hours of use. I'm in the first few hours with mine and still trying not to look for the trails deliberately.ÿ

I had been so excited about trying out Fritz Lang's 'Ministry of Fear', which is so black, literally, right from the start! I'll give it a spin on a friend's Sony LCD and report back. Thanks again.

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
I am similarly "cursed" when viewing this model, although my partner cannot see what I'm on about. It does die down a bit after a while, but never completely goes away ( for me at least). I also find that the signal source plays a part. The issue is far more noticeable when watching Sky HD at 1080i than an upscaled DVD at 1080p. I haven't really watched that many B/W films to see how badly they are affected. However I have found that the more interesting the programme I am watching the less obvious the plasma trails are.

A

Anonymous

Just like tvmog I can see the green flashes but my wife rarely does. I must say I see them less now than I used to and that I see them less on our 37PX80 than on our 42PZ70. Not sure if that's because we mostly watch HD on the PZ70 but only ever watch SD on the PX80.

A

Anonymous

A few more days on with this plasma and I think the green trails are weaker but it really could just be a change in my eyes and mind; I certainly am noticing how good the picture is otherwise. I suppose virtues will always be subtleties when it comes to picture quality and take longer to notice.

On a thread elsewhere someone said he changed a plasma for an LCD because of the phosphor trails but later on admitted to doubts about his decision. Now I've seen an LCD (playing a dvd - HD was a different matter) I can understand why.

I'll just lower the contrast whenever I watch b&w.ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts