Buying a LGOLED55C6V tomorrow but will the rest of my kit be compatible with 4K???

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello all and a very merry xmas to you!

After a long wait to see how the 4K landscape would pan out I'm now going to dip my toe into the 4K world and OLED has always been my prefered route in and with my pick of TV now having taken a £400 price reduction to £1,799 I'm going to be taking the upgrade route and replace my trusty LG55930V OLED with the 4K equivalent in the 2016 range.

Initially I was excited but a few things now concern me and that's why I find myself asking for some advice from the forum after a long absence. Firstly this set is only available from Currys which I have found very surprising and I must admit I'm a little nervous parting with so much money with them but I've had issues with even the best retailers in the past so it doesn't faze me too much.

What does concern me though is how my existing kit will fare with the 4K TV! My receiver for example does allow for 4K pass through but it's not the latest model and doesn't feature HDMI 2.2 so am I going to encouter problems with HDR and 4K playback? Are my current HDMI cables up to the task? And what other considerations are there when simply upgrading the TV to 4K?

Initially I plan to get my 4K fix via streaming services such as Netflix and by gaming with my new PS4 Pro console until I get a dedicated 4K player later down the line so any advice would be much appreciated at this stage so I can go into this purchase as well informed as possible.

Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 2457

Good choice of TV Oldboy, you are going to love it!
thumbs_up.gif
Currys online will refund you within something like 14 days if there is anything wrong.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
Good choice of TV Oldboy, you are going to love it! Currys online will refund you within something like 14 days if there is anything wrong.

Thanks gel! Good to see you are still here. Just a little concerned that I've started a massive snowball for this year now as I just know a new receiver is going to be high priority after the TV...my eyes are already being drawn to the yamaha 1060 lol. Hopefully picking up the TV over the next few days and ordering a wall bracket as soon as I can too.

Just out of interest any ideas what a LG 55930V OLED would go for second hand? (bearing in mind it still has 3 1/2 years warranty from JL that can be signed over). I'm thinking of selling it now to part fund the purchase of a new receiver instead of keeping it and putting it in the bedroom. Come to think of it I could sell my 2020 as well and wouldn't be far off what I need to replace the receiver. I have permission from her indoors this time as we are getting a new suite and curtains as part of the bargain. A 4K player is on the cards for my birthday in February although she doesn't know about that yet or the fact that a upgraded speaker system is also on the cards this year!

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
gel said:
Good choice of TV Oldboy, you are going to love it! Currys online will refund you within something like 14 days if there is anything wrong.

Thanks gel! Good to see you are still here. Just a little concerned that I've started a massive snowball for this year now as I just know a new receiver is going to be high priority after the TV...my eyes are already being drawn to the yamaha 1060 lol. Hopefully picking up the TV over the next few days and ordering a wall bracket as soon as I can too.

Just out of interest any ideas what a LG 55930V OLED would go for second hand? (bearing in mind it still has 3 1/2 years warranty from JL that can be signed over). I'm thinking of selling it now to part fund the purchase of a new receiver instead of keeping it and putting it in the bedroom. Come to think of it I could sell my 2020 as well and wouldn't be far off what I need to replace the receiver. I have permission from her indoors this time as we are getting a new suite and curtains as part of the bargain. A 4K player is on the cards for my birthday in February although she doesn't know about that yet or the fact that a upgraded speaker system is also on the cards this year!
About £700 on AVForums and more on eBay. I would sell it on eBay probably.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Oldboy said:

After a long wait to see how the 4K landscape would pan out I'm now going to dip my toe into the 4K world and OLED has always been my prefered route in and with my pick of TV now having taken a £400 price reduction to £1,799 I'm going to be taking the upgrade route and replace my trusty LG55930V OLED with the 4K equivalent in the 2016 range.

Initially I was excited but a few things now concern me and that's why I find myself asking for some advice from the forum after a long absence. Firstly this set is only available from Currys which I have found very surprising and I must admit I'm a little nervous parting with so much money with them but I've had issues with even the best retailers in the past so it doesn't faze me too much.

What does concern me though is how my existing kit will fare with the 4K TV! My receiver for example does allow for 4K pass through but it's not the latest model and doesn't feature HDMI 2.2 so am I going to encouter problems with HDR and 4K playback? Are my current HDMI cables up to the task? And what other considerations are there when simply upgrading the TV to 4K?

Initially I plan to get my 4K fix via streaming services such as Netflix and by gaming with my new PS4 Pro console until I get a dedicated 4K player later down the line so any advice would be much appreciated at this stage so I can go into this purchase as well informed as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Hi oldboy,

A merry Christmas to you too.

your av receiver will be able to pass through 4K but not HDR or the latest 4K fandangled standard such as hdmi 2.2 etc etc...

the easiest and most economical route is to buy a 4K BD player with 2 hdmi outputs; 1 for sound and the other to plug into your Tv for picture. This way the BD player will play the latest 4K straight to your TV and sound to your av receiver.

the other option is to upgrade to a new av receiver with the latest hdmi 2.2 but this is expensive and not really required unless you want the latest dtsx and atmos sound formats which is another debatable subject..

hope this helps mate.

Matte

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Oldboy said:

Please take this they way it is intended. But you make my life so much easier for when I want to up grade. I read your post keenly as I am a plasma man, who never liked the compromises of LCD and is interested in OLED. You said a 'long wait' and 'trusty' TV. Exactly how old is the set if it still has 3 1/2 year warranty. Did you take and extended one, or is the TV only 18 months old? Matt

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Series1boy said:
Oldboy said:

Thanks in advance.

Hi oldboy,

A merry Christmas to you too.

your av receiver will be able to pass through 4K but not HDR or the latest 4K fandangled standard such as hdmi 2.2 etc etc...

the easiest and most economical route is to buy a 4K BD player with 2 hdmi outputs; 1 for sound and the other to plug into your Tv for picture. This way the BD player will play the latest 4K straight to your TV and sound to your av receiver.

the other option is to upgrade to a new av receiver with the latest hdmi 2.2 but this is expensive and not really required unless you want the latest dtsx and atmos sound formats which is another debatable subject..

hope this helps mate.

Cheers that certainly helps a little.

A 4K player will be later in the year though as it would seem a new receiver should be higher up the list right now to make life that much easier in the future when I do get a player. I knew I was opening a can of worms by going 4K this year but I have decided to get the priciest bit of kit first as at least this way I can actually view some 4K content until the rest comes together throughout the year. Many thanks for the advice.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
I would suggest you wait for a week. CES starts next week. You'll know what the new models are offering, and whether it's worth waiting a bit longer. This TV will get even cheaper in the meantime.
Good point bigboss! I'm going to look at it today but I'm in no hurry just yet so won't make a rash decision but if I get a good deal I may well snap one up. Obviously I will let you know how I get on but thanks for the advice as always.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Matte said:
Oldboy said:

Please take this they way it is intended. But you make my life so much easier for when I want to up grade. I read your post keenly as I am a plasma man, who never liked the compromises of LCD and is interested in OLED. You said a 'long wait' and 'trusty' TV. Exactly how old is the set if it still has 3 1/2 year warranty. Did you take and extended one, or is the TV only 18 months old? Matt
Matt,

My current LG55930V OLED is just under 18 months old and as I bought it from John Lewis it was covered by a 5 year warranty which I am able to sign over to whoever buys it from me.

It has served me well with not even a hint of an issue except for a HDMI control issue with my Sony kit which was easily solved by turning that option off on my blu ray player and PS4 Pro.

I had a Samsung LCD before my OLED and the differences are night and day and I've even owned a few Panasonic plasmas too but this has been the best TV I have owned by some considerable margin hence why it's the only way I would get into 4K now. I just couldn't go back to LCD/LED anymore.

jjbomber

Oldboy said:
I have permission from her indoors this time as we are getting a new suite and curtains as part of the bargain. A 4K player is on the cards for my birthday in February

That is exactly how marriages are supposed to work; well done. As for a 4K player, it has to be Oppo. It has a 7.1 output, streams from your NAS drives, has USB 3.0 inputs as well as a HDMI input to upscale other sources. Apart from making the coffee, it ticks every box you need. Had you been born one moth later, you could have had the 205 version!

D

Deleted member 2457

jjbomber said:
Oldboy said:
I have permission from her indoors this time as we are getting a new suite and curtains as part of the bargain. A 4K player is on the cards for my birthday in February

That is exactly how marriages are supposed to work; well done. As for a 4K player, it has to be Oppo. It has a 7.1 output, streams from your NAS drives, has USB 3.0 inputs as well as a HDMI input to upscale other sources. Apart from making the coffee, it ticks every box you need. Had you been born one moth later, you could have had the 205 version!
Agreed I am afraid (because of the price), it is just fantastic! I am really blown away by mine. Everything I throw at it is wow! It's a little buggy though with some 4k blu rays and some can sound noisy but you easily forget that when you see the picture quality.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Good advice from BB and I would wait for the ne TVs this year as there may be more choice from other manufacturers albeit still an LG panel....

ive dipped my toe into 4K and awaiting for a 55" LG LCD for the games room and I'll have an Xbox one for 4K discs and Netflix. I'll add a sound bar so we can Bluetooth our iPads and iPhones for music.. I'm not expecting plasma or OLED blacks but it should be a decent picture for the kids and me when they've all gone to bed.. already ordered a couple of 4K BDs in readiness ... :)

ill be replacing my VT plasma with an oled next year for sure....

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Good advice from BB and I would wait for the new TVs next year as there may be more choice from other manufacturers albeit still an LG panel....

ive dipped my toes into 4K and awaiting for a 55" LG LCD to be delivered this Saturday for the games room and I'll have an Xbox one for 4K discs and Netflix. I'll add a sound bar so we can Bluetooth our iPads and iPhones for music.. I'm not expecting plasma or OLED blacks but it should be a decent picture for the kids and me when they've all gone to bed.. already ordered a couple of 4K BDs in readiness ... :)

ill be replacing my VT plasma with an oled next year for sure....

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello everyone!

Many thanks for all your replies and I apologise I haven't replied earlier but I've been struck down with a lovely bug that's going around and am off work.

I just had to let you know that I got my lovely new LG OLED 55C6V yesterday from Currys for £1,799 with a 5 year warranty!

I went with the 55C6V in the end as 3D support was important to me as I have a huge collection of 3D discs plus I waited until LG announced their 2017 line up of OLED tvs and the lack of 3D support made my mind up. I was going to wait for more info on the Sony OLEDs coming to market but a lack of 3D info plus the fact they are going to be LG panels didn't bode well so I jumped and got the C6V.

It's still in the box at the moment though as I've been trying to establish how I go about wall mounting it and got some good news from a call to LG this morning who confirmed my universal bracket that I bought some time ago will fit the tv as it's got standard vesa mounts 400 x 200. That just saved me £100 as I was expecting to have to buy the LG bracket for it's 2016 OLED tvs.

Now I'm sure one of you lovely people may well be able to confirm this other thing I found this morning when doing some research but am I right in thinking my current Wireworld Chroma (the yellow ones) are 4K ready and HDMI 2.0 compliant?

That would represent even more money saved if it is indeed true but all the cable sites are saying this is the case which I find weird as my cables must be 4 years old now but I'm not complaining as it saves yet more hassle and money.

All that is left now is to get it set up and see how it compares to my current 55930V set and then it's time to think about a 4K player and new receiver although in which order I get those is up for debate and down to selling my existing kit they will replace. With new players announced at CES this week my options on that front suddenly seem far better and hopefully cheaper *good*

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
Hello everyone!

Many thanks for all your replies and I apologise I haven't replied earlier but I've been struck down with a lovely bug that's going around and am off work.

I just had to let you know that I got my lovely new LG OLED 55C6V yesterday from Currys for £1,799 with a 5 year warranty!

I went with the 55C6V in the end as 3D support was important to me as I have a huge collection of 3D discs plus I waited until LG announced their 2017 line up of OLED tvs and the lack of 3D support made my mind up. I was going to wait for more info on the Sony OLEDs coming to market but a lack of 3D info plus the fact they are going to be LG panels didn't bode well so I jumped and got the C6V.

It's still in the box at the moment though as I've been trying to establish how I go about wall mounting it and got some good news from a call to LG this morning who confirmed my universal bracket that I bought some time ago will fit the tv as it's got standard vesa mounts 400 x 200. That just saved me £100 as I was expecting to have to buy the LG bracket for it's 2016 OLED tvs.

Now I'm sure one of you lovely people may well be able to confirm this other thing I found this morning when doing some research but am I right in thinking my current Wireworld Chroma (the yellow ones) are 4K ready and HDMI 2.0 compliant?

That would represent even more money saved if it is indeed true but all the cable sites are saying this is the case which I find weird as my cables must be 4 years old now but I'm not complaining as it saves yet more hassle and money.

All that is left now is to get it set up and see how it compares to my current 55930V set and then it's time to think about a 4K player and new receiver although in which order I get those is up for debate and down to selling my existing kit they will replace. With new players announced at CES this week my options on that front suddenly seem far better and hopefully cheaper *good*
Hi mate, congrats on the TV, great choice too! What is it you want your new amp to do? DTS X soundtrack and Dolby Atmos or just connect to a 4K blu ray player with 1 HDMI output, because the only one that does that is the Xbox, all the others have 2 hdmi outputs which means they will all connect with your receiver anyway. I still got my old Pioneer sclx81 amp about 9 years old now and it connects great with the new 4K blu ray players.

I got the Oppo 203 4K blu ray player now and it works great with the LG TVs but is pricey. I see LG are bringing out one that does Dolby Vision too, you really want one that does that too if you can.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello gel,

Many thanks for the feedback as ever. I'm jumping at the bit to get it up on the wall but it's going to have to wait until I've recovered a bit more.

As for the receiver and player future proofing and Dolby Atmos plus DTS X are the priorities but I'm in no rush as I only have the PS4 Pro as a 4K source at the moment and will sign up for Nextflix 4K service too so I think I can get away with HDMI into the TV for now and optical to the receiver for the PS4.

Going forward I do prefer having it all HDMI through the receiver with no optical or digital connections needed and I'm definitely thinking about Atmos and DTS X in the future to replace my front presence set up and go 7.1 plus Atmos/DTS X. If I was going to buy a player right now I would go for either the Panasonic 9000 or the Oppo but as said earlier there is no rush but I need to plan what to get so any info is greatly appreciated.

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
Hello gel,

Many thanks for the feedback as ever. I'm jumping at the bit to get it up on the wall but it's going to have to wait until I've recovered a bit more.

As for the receiver and player future proofing and Dolby Atmos plus DTS X are the priorities but I'm in no rush as I only have the PS4 Pro as a 4K source at the moment and will sign up for Nextflix 4K service too so I think I can get away with HDMI into the TV for now and optical to the receiver for the PS4.

Going forward I do prefer having it all HDMI through the receiver with no optical or digital connections needed and I'm definitely thinking about Atmos and DTS X in the future to replace my front presence set up and go 7.1 plus Atmos/DTS X. If I was going to buy a player right now I would go for either the Panasonic 9000 or the Oppo but as said earlier there is no rush but I need to plan what to get so any info is greatly appreciated.
I definitely recommend the Oppo then.
thumbs_up.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts