my panasonic 50v20 review ...

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:well gel , any luck getting your tvs settings to suit ?? im watching avatar now on thx , with contrast and brightness up 3 clicks , and it looks very very nice
emotion-5.gif

Hi Max, nope not good i am still getting blurring images, i am now waiting on call to know what to do next.

You know after having the first one i had my main socket in the wall where you put the tv aerial cable in changed, now i can only think there is either something wrong with the new one or the tv.

I am just going to have to wait and see, how is your signal on yours you can check it, last time i tried i forgot how to do it, it is a green bar or something for good signal.

Cheers
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

i doubt the signal is the problem , as i understand it you either get a digital signal , 100% or you dont get a signal at all , i think ..

are you seeing blurring on hd or sd or both ?

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:

i doubt the signal is the problem , as i understand it you either get a digital signal , 100% or you dont get a signal at all , i think ..

are you seeing blurring on hd or sd or both ?

Blurring definetely on sd, blu ray is better but still not seeing as clearly as i was.

A

Anonymous

blurring on sd could be down to the quality of the channel , do you see it on bbc1 or channel 4 ??

also , having ifc turned on can cause artifacts , which you maybe see as blurring ?

do you still see it with ifc off ?

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:

blurring on sd could be down to the quality of the channel , do you see it on bbc1 or channel 4 ??

also , having ifc turned on can cause artifacts , which you maybe see as blurring ?

do you still see it with ifc off ?

I can see it on most channels now, i am just going to have to wait and see.

Cheers for the help Max and everybody else
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

i think i may have noticed some motion issues last night , i was watching dragons den on bbchd , theres alot of camera panning from dragon to dragon , with ifc off , this panning didnt look good , its hard to describe , but it seemed like there was a loss of focus as well as a touch of judder during these shots , i didnt ever notice this on my old g10 ...

so i turned on ifc , hmmm , i preferred last years version (even though i rarely used it , and never had to ) , it doesnt look as false as when watching a blu-ray with 24p smooth on does , but motion is still just not quite right , and a little weird really , but the upside is that it was much more watchable than with ifc off , the panning shots were much better with no loss of focus (still not sure if thats the best way to describe it) and i did get used to having it on , the image quality of this tv is unbelievable , it really is top notch ..

anyway this is the first issue i have found with this tv that is a problem for me , the shimmering half way line on footie coverage just doesnt bother me at all , you have to go looking for it , and even then its barely visible with ifc off or on , and doesnt impact on my enjoyment of the game..

but , this panning issue is different , im thinking i may be able to live with it , because i havnt noticed it before on anything else , sd , hd , blu-rays , and i know dragons den is unique in that there is so much panning and focussing in and out on the various dragons , etc . perhaps i wont see this problem on anything else ?

ive been reading some forums , and there are many people not happy with various aspects of their v20 , more than i would have thought , motion issues being one of the main complaints , strange for a plasma ? some say these issues are only apparent on 50hz material (dragons den is 50hz
emotion-40.gif
) , that it may be fixed with a firmware update , but this is forum talk , the one thing that worries me is that panasonic are again remaining tight lipped , many have emailed them about certain issues , and got no satisfactory response .

anyway i wont panic just yet , 99% of the time this tv is extraordinarily good , but im now finding myself analysing the tv , and feeling slightly worried that panasonic seem yet again , to be playing the "if your tv is not working 100% , then it is working 100%" game .
emotion-43.gif

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Here we go again...
ah no , im just updating my review and experiences , very happy on the whole but this new found glitch needs mentioning , for completness
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:NO tv is perfect Max. Unless its seriously distracting, enjoy what you have.

your probably right rik , i was really enjoying it to be honest , till last night
emotion-8.gif
but turning on the slightly strange ifc did sort it , so i guess its no big deal , hopefully
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

pauled51:
Toodlepip,

Great review. What distance are you sitiing from the tv? And I'm guesing you have no issues with SD upscaling at that distance?

Pauled
sorry , i missed this , im 3.2 metres away , and i feel i need to be for sd with the 50in screen ..

A

Anonymous

Max

3.2m away seems close for a 50" set as you are bound to see problems magnified including motion and that distance!! unless of course your previous G10 was a 50" too?

Regarding the motion on your set I have looked at a review of the 50V20 and the 50VT20 on a famous site I think Vincent did both reviews and it says that the 50VT20 holds 1080 lines on motion test pattern at all times (IFC on or off) while the 50V20 holds 1080 lines(IFC on) 900 lines(IFC off)

While 50HTZ LCDS hold 300 lines, 100HTZ LCDS around 600 lines 200HTZ LCDS around 1080 lines.

A

Anonymous

Snakey:

Max

3.2m away seems close for a 50" set as you are bound to see problems magnified including motion and that distance!! unless of course your previous G10 was a 50" too?

Regarding the motion on your set I have looked at a review of the 50V20 and the 50VT20 on a famous site I think Vincent did both reviews and it says that the 50VT20 holds 1080 lines on motion test pattern at all times (IFC on or off) while the 50V20 holds 1080 lines(IFC on) 900 lines(IFC off)

While 50HTZ LCDS hold 300 lines, 100HTZ LCDS around 600 lines 200HTZ LCDS around 1080 lines.

I've seen lines of motion mentioned before. What exactly is it? 1080 lines at 200hz. Is that with the motion controls on, so would be 300 lines with it off.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
hi guys,

anyone notice 'floating blacks' on their v20? I have a 42v20, and was able to demonstrate it in store to guys where i bought my tv. The test disc i use is the matrix (blu-ray) - around 3 minute 5 seconds to 3 minute 15 seconds - the black level clearly flucuates on the tv. We tried my tv and the display model in the shop and both behaved the same - with my Oppo BD 83, and stores own Panasonic player. They didnt have any new v20's in stock but have some due in this week so i'll be off to audition again. I emailed Panasonic who state the tv shouldnt exibit this behaviour at all. I am looking forward to tomorrow, and hopefully the announcement of the 42vt20. If its not much more expensive and it doesnt have floating blacks, i'll be changing for that hopefully in the near future. Otherwise the v20 is perfect, some slight buzzing but nothing that would distract from overall enjoyment of watching movies.. Animation looks superb, watching the Princess & the frog blu-ray last night and i couldnt imagine a better picture. I'm on THX mode with default settings. Would love to get the tv ISF calibrated but cant till i know for sure i'm keeping it!

Cheers,

Mick

Snakey:

Max

Max's previous TV was 46 inches, not much smaller than the 50-inch. I dunno....I don't have any issues with motion handling on my 50-inch Kuro....& I'm sitting 3m away.

A

Anonymous

I thought it was a good review Max but i had trouble understanding how you could proclaim it to be the best pound for pound tv on sale today , and along with the vt20 , the best tv on sale full stop .. ????

But as you appear to now be suffering some slight issues I'll be kind.

Wait i can't help myself, so in your exhaustive testing of all tv's around at the moment is the 50v20 still the best?

A

Anonymous

greymack:
I thought it was a good review Max but i had trouble understanding how you could proclaim it to be the best pound for pound tv on sale today , and along with the vt20 , the best tv on sale full stop .. ????

But as you appear to now be suffering some slight issues I'll be kind.

Wait i can't help myself, so in your exhaustive testing of all tv's around at the moment is the 50v20 still the best?
the pioneer krp kuro is the best tv that was ever made ..

A

Anonymous

Snakey:
Max

i find 3.2 metres fine for sd ..

the episode of dragons den i watched last night that highlighted what i felt were motion issues was on bbc hd ..

900 lines with ifc off is still more than most lcd tvs and many plasmas are capable of , i doubt its got anything to do with that , motion with blu-rays is absolutely perfect ..

A

Anonymous

bigboss:Snakey:

Max

Max's previous TV was 46 inches, not much smaller than the 50-inch. I dunno....I don't have any issues with motion handling on my 50-inch Kuro....& I'm sitting 3m away.
yes bb its not a distance problem , definately motion , but as i say ive not seen it before , strange ..

A

Anonymous

micks_address:
hi guys,

anyone notice 'floating blacks' on their v20? I have a 42v20, and was able to demonstrate it in store to guys where i bought my tv. The test disc i use is the matrix (blu-ray) - around 3 minute 5 seconds to 3 minute 15 seconds - the black level clearly flucuates on the tv. We tried my tv and the display model in the shop and both behaved the same - with my Oppo BD 83, and stores own Panasonic player. They didnt have any new v20's in stock but have some due in this week so i'll be off to audition again. I emailed Panasonic who state the tv shouldnt exibit this behaviour at all. I am looking forward to tomorrow, and hopefully the announcement of the 42vt20. If its not much more expensive and it doesnt have floating blacks, i'll be changing for that hopefully in the near future. Otherwise the v20 is perfect, some slight buzzing but nothing that would distract from overall enjoyment of watching movies.. Animation looks superb, watching the Princess & the frog blu-ray last night and i couldnt imagine a better picture. I'm on THX mode with default settings. Would love to get the tv ISF calibrated but cant till i know for sure i'm keeping it!

Cheers,

Mick
since i got the tv , 15 days ago , ive watched loads of blu-rays , and i have not seen any changing of black levels , even on the letterbox bars , i use thx default too .. i see many people do see these "floating blacks"though , i guess im lucky . i agree that the picture this tv puts out is just stunning ..

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
maxflinn:micks_address:

hi guys,

Cheers,

Mick

since i got the tv , 15 days ago , ive watched loads of blu-rays , and i have not seen any changing of black levels , even on the letterbox bars , i use thx default too .. i see many people do see these "floating blacks"though , i guess im lucky . i agree that the picture this tv puts out is just stunning ..

Do you watch the tv in a darkened room?

A

Anonymous

yes mick , i always watch movies in a dark room , still have not seen black levels fluctuate ..

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
maxflinn:yes mick , i always watch movies in a dark room , still have not seen black levels fluctuate ..

i want your v20 :) its unmissable on the Matrix and Fight club... only thing worrying me is that I've seen it on two v20s, they would have been quite early builds so maybe its something Panasonic have sorted out in later builds, i've also upgraded the firmware on mine, any new set I get i'd be slow to.. hopefully i will be demoing a new v20 on saturday so i can get a good one then :) in all other respects the tv is perfect..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts