my panasonic 50v20 review ...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Andrew Everard: (I swear these forums get more bizarre every day...)

emotion-2.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard:

gel:[Okay but if it is okay with Max and Andrew would it be possible for the thread to be removed in a week or so like mine was on the your system page?

No idea why you should want this, but as BB has said, you can delete your own postings should you wish.

I would only delete the thread if requested by the thread-starter.

(I swear these forums get more bizarre every day...)

Okay
emotion-11.gif
i thought i had read in the past other poeple asking for there picture threads to be removed and i thought it sounded a good idea after a while but if you can do if yourself, no probs.

Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

daveh75:bigboss:

gel: Okay but if it is okay with Max and Andrew would it be possible for the thread to be removed in a week or so like mine was on the your system page?

I have no idea why you insist on your home cinema system pics to be deleted after a while.Indeed...

and gel there's a simple solution. If you dont like having your pics on the forum, dont post them in the first place!

Yep
emotion-21.gif
i know some people choose not too and to be honest some of the time it is not for me really but when people ask to see them i do it for them, otherwise i probaly would not do it.

Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss:

gel: Okay but if it is okay with Max and Andrew would it be possible for the thread to be removed in a week or so like mine was on the your system page?

I have no idea why you insist on your home cinema system pics to be deleted after a while. And you wanted to get the pictures published in WHF mag! It always helps to have the pictures on the forum. Even after 8-9 months of my home cinema pics being on the forum, I still get enquiries from members about the backlight, buttkicker etc. & I like to help them when I can.

In any case, you can delete your post yourself (there's a delete button at the bottom of each post), or you can edit your post & remove the picture yourself.

Max has given an excellent review of his new V20 & this thread should be here. It's the best thread on the V20 so far.

Well that was because i read home cinema choice magazine most months and they do it in there for there readers, a guy quite recently had a system which was very similar to yours, i nearly told you about it at the time then i thought i better not.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard:

gel:Well that was because i read home cinema choice magazine most months

Which possibly explains quite a lot...
emotion-5.gif

emotion-2.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Yep i have just edited my first one i will replace it later on for you Bigboss
emotion-5.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Max, how is it all going with the tv then? When did you get it? have you watched many blu rays yet? how does it compare to your last one?

Cheers
emotion-21.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
What the ... ??!!

Been away from this forum for approx one-week, due to moving house, then log-on from new locale and it's as if I've logged into a parallel universe.
Help! Let me out! Where's the forum that I know and love?

A

Anonymous

PAT BRADY:
Max ,when you get the chance will you keep an eye out for any floating blacks,banding etc. Congrats on your new purchase .Can I ask where you got it,I was quoted 1350 euros delivered to Dublin from watterselectrical.co.uk who are based in Belfast.

This was for the 42v20 model by the way.

cheers , i have seen some colour banding (seen that on my g10 too) , but its not a problem to me anyway , havnt seen any "floating blacks" at all , in fact the blacks are very good ..

i got mine for e1650 from harvey normans in waterford , with a 5 year guarantee , not bad really . e1350 for the 42in sounds about right , although if you have the space and an extra e300 ?.....

A

Anonymous

gel:
Max, how is it all going with the tv then? When did you get it? have you watched many blu rays yet? how does it compare to your last one?

Cheers
emotion-21.gif

going great gel
emotion-21.gif
.. very happy with the tv , yes ive watched several blu-rays , shutter island , the hurt locker , avatar , dances with wolves , gladiator , and more , all looked fabulous
emotion-4.gif

i got the tv last monday , 1650 euros with the 5 year guarantee , very happy with that price ..

its quite a bit better than the g10 , much deeper blacks , more detailed , better in the daytime ..

all in all im pleased as punch , i hope you get your pic settings sorted out this week
emotion-5.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Cheers Max
emotion-21.gif

I like watching avatar, i have seen it about 8 times now since i have had the tv
emotion-1.gif

Yep i think dynamic is for me, you know if i wanted to make the image sharper is there a simple way of adjusting it for me?

Thanks
emotion-21.gif

Currently i am on dynamic with it down a little the rest is the same.

D

Deleted member 2457

I am not really sure what the correct term is but currently i have quite abit of waviness? in the picture.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

gel:
Cheers Max
emotion-21.gif

I like watching avatar, i have seen it about 8 times now since i have had the tv
emotion-1.gif

Yep i think dynamic is for me, you know if i wanted to make the image sharper is there a simple way of adjusting it for me?

Thanks
emotion-21.gif

Currently i am on dynamic with it down a little the rest is the same.

ooh dynamic is not reccomended gel , far too garish , i personally dont think you paying to get your tv calibrated is a very
good idea , as you seem to prefer a less natural , more in your face
picture ... why not use thx mode , and up the contrast and brightness until you are happy ??

calibratred settings will be similar to thx imo...pointless for you as you dont like that..

A

Anonymous

gel:
I am not really sure what the correct term is but currently i have quite abit of waviness? in the picture.

Thanks
hmmm , not sure what waviness is , but im pretty sure its there because you have the tv set to dynamic ..

D

Deleted member 2457

No i am not having calibratrad just fiddled with by someone from my local av shop.

Yep i will give it ago too then, cheers Max
emotion-21.gif

Watching anything good on it tonight?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:gel:

Thanks

hmmm , not sure what waviness is , but im pretty sure its there because you have the tv set to dynamic ..

I have thought of another term since then
emotion-1.gif
abit jumpiness in the picture.?
emotion-1.gif

I think i should have dynamic for blu ray and thx perhaps for normal tv.

Max can you do me a favour on my picture you replied on could you delete because i can't seem to do that one.

Cheers
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

gel:

No i am not having calibratrad just fiddled with by someone from my local av shop.

Yep i will give it ago too then, cheers Max
emotion-21.gif

Watching anything good on it tonight?

Thanks
been checking for motion or smearing issues while playing the dark knight blu-ray , as nsy grinner found issues with his g20 with that movie , pleased to say my tv is fine , what a picture , just super
emotion-2.gif

have the book of eli lined up for when the sun goes down
emotion-19.gif

A

Anonymous

gel:maxflinn:gel:

Thanks

I have thought of another term since then
emotion-1.gif
abit jumpiness in the picture.?
emotion-1.gif

I think i should have dynamic for blu ray and thx perhaps for normal tv.

Max can you do me a favour on my picture you replied on could you delete because i can't seem to do that one.

Cheers
emotion-21.gif

salted...
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

bigboss:
Andrew Everard:User toodlepip deleted and posts reassigned to maxflinn.

You can't stay away from the forum max, can you?
emotion-2.gif

Time to update your signature with your new Panny
emotion-4.gif

duly updated sir
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

TKratz:toodlepip:

hi there , i have had this tv for just under a week now , and im very impressed with it . its got all the connections you could need , including 4 hdmi ports , two usb ports etc ..

the tv comes with a wireless dongle , i put this into one of the usb ports and configured it with my wireless router , this was very easily done . the tv then informed me that it didnt have the latest firmware on board , and gave me the option to update which i did , it took about 3 minutes , then once i restarted the tv , it was done..

so i could then select viera cast , which is a bit gimmicky really , the only thing i might use is the you tube app , it works quite well and the picture , even once upscaled to the 1080p screen was quite good on the whole , although the usual home vids filmed with mobile phones looked pants , as you would expect ..

there are 8 picture presets , dynamic (which should never be used really) , normal , cinema , thx , game , photo , professional 1 , and finally professional 2.. its very simple to select one , just press menu , then picture , and select which one , i found the thx setting to be excellent , aswell as professional 1 and 2 , more tvs should come with these highly accurate pre-settings , they can be fined tuned to suit the pickiest videophiles , but for many (me included) thx is all you would ever want for movies , its just brilliant..however when watching in the daytime , i use professional 1 with the brightness and contrast turned up a touch to suit ..

so onto picture quality , well normal sd tv looks very good , as good as i have seen it on any tv really , lovely deep blacks , a very clean , natural picture , full of detail , with very good motion , i keep the tvs motion processing (ifc) turned off at all times , it isnt needed.. i use a humax foxsat hd box , which i let upscale the picture , leaving the tv upscale makes no difference to the picture . the tv obviously has freesat and freeview hd , but i dont get freeview hd in my area , and the coaxial cable coming from my sat dish doesnt currently stretch to the far left of the v20 where the input is , so i use the humax . as is the case with all hdtvs , the sd picture varies depending on the quality of the channel , bbc1 , bbc2 , five , film 4 etc all look excellent , itv4 , itv2 etc look ok , but could look better , but thats not the fault of the tv ..

so dvds , upscaled by my sony bdp-s363 , well they look fantastic on the whole , the same rule applies that the picture quality is source dependant , ie , some high quality dvds look almost as good as a blu-ray , (rambo , training day , etc) whilst some only look average , but again this is not the fault of the tv , which is capable of a brilliant , clean , natural , punchy , detailed image , with great motion and blacks , shadow detail etc , when the dvd is of high quality ..

so onto the real important aspect of any modern tvs performance , high definition . well this is where i have been blown away , using thx mode with the lights dimmed , this tv is simply sensational with hd , blu-rays look stunning on this set , the sense of depth and realism while watching avatar is almost 3d like , the black levels are the best i have seen along with those of the pioneer kuro ,( which unfortunately i didnt have at hand to do a side by side comparism) the level of detail is simply staggering , the best i have ever seen on any tv , the shadow detail is so good , you can see all of what you are meant to see in a dark scene , every gradient and layer of dark detail is evident, no tv bar the kuro and the vt20 can match this . motion is perfect , there is the option of turning on the ifc which is called 24p smooth while watching a blu-ray , but this makes the motion look unrealistic , like it was filmed with a video camera , and should not be used , as it simply is not needed on this tv . colour also is spot on , using thx mode its near perfect , while watching avatar with a few friends , none of us could believe just how good the image this tv creates is , it just bursts froim the screen , its on another level , and is in another league to anything (bar the kuro , vt20) that i have seen , the sharpness is also breathtakingly good , razor sharp , yet the picture never looks digital , false or computerised , like some lcds , it always looks realistic and natural , organic if you like ..

the sound is ok , similar to other flatscreen tvs i have had before , but i , as many will do , have external sound so its irrelevant . i think the fact that this tv can be got for less than £1500 makes it the best pound for pound tv on sale today , and along with the vt20 , the best tv on sale full stop ..

I do not want to go into any speculation about who you are, but this is an excellent review
emotion-21.gif

emotion-21.gif
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I have had this TV for a little over a week now and had it calibrated on Saturday, the picture out of the box was superb and a huge step up from my old Pioneer PDP 436SXE, now i have had it calibrated I am complete :)

Regarding issues with motion i have seen none at all but must admit to never watching football so cannot comment on the motion issue that has been mentioned but gaming, bluray and DVD are all superb.

Gel i feel that even having someone from a local shop come round they may tweak the settings in a way that you will not be pleased with but you can but try.

Also can i ask, what is the reason for removing pictures?

D

Deleted member 2457

gavin101:

I have had this TV for a little over a week now and had it calibrated on Saturday, the picture out of the box was superb and a huge step up from my old Pioneer PDP 436SXE, now i have had it calibrated I am complete :)

Regarding issues with motion i have seen none at all but must admit to never watching football so cannot comment on the motion issue that has been mentioned but gaming, bluray and DVD are all superb.

Gel i feel that even having someone from a local shop come round they may tweak the settings in a way that you will not be pleased with but you can but try.

Also can i ask, what is the reason for removing pictures?

Hi Gavin

It is abit of a long story but too cut it short i did have the panasonic 50v20 but then felt it was not quite right so i had it changed for the 42v20 but then having it i realised straight away how much i missed the 50v20 and the first time i had it i had it set up by my local shop and i was 100% happy so i spoke to them the other day and they said if after a while i was still not happy to give them a call and they would come out for me, so in the mean time i thought i would bounce some ideas of some people to see what worked.

Well i feel your pictures is quite a personal thing and you should do whatever feels comfortable for you, i had already done a your system page photo in the past but then upgrading my tv i thought i would show that too, but i personally then preferred them to be removed. I know some people do not like to it at all, one person i can remember sent there photo into the what hi fi team to say thank you to them because they had got all the ideas for there system through reading the what hi mags but choose not to post it here. Also at the time i nearly did the same because i did not know how to do it but i did know how to send photos via email, which is also where i suggested having it in the mag because i did not know how to insert photos here.

I know some people who do not like to buy anything on the internet, so i would say do what ever feels comfortable for you.

Cheers
emotion-21.gif

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
question for panny store.... are thier going to be different glasses for the panasonic 3d tvs coz these are just

EDITED BY MODS

rubbish

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts