My Home System Attempt - Updated

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi All

After chopping & changing our living room around & changing hifi gear & AV's etc i have finally decided & got it all in place & up & running. (thanks to my patient & 'not bothered what you do as long as it looks nice' wife) so far she is happy with it!

Kit:

TV: Panasonic 42G10 Plasma

AV: Yamaha DSP-863SE

Fronts: Monitor Audio Bronze BR2's on Soundstyle Z1's (they were older versions in silver, i got them profesionally powder coated matt black to try & match the system colours)

Surrounds & centre consisting of 5 x Monitor Audio R45 cubes

Sub: Monitor Audio R360 on a 'sainsburys finest granite chopping board! (it does make a difference due to a down firing speaker!)

Ixos HDMI's for all, Chord Silverscreen for fronts & centre, Tacima 6 way mains, Supra Mains cable for PS3 & Sky (got tv one to do)

PS3 Slim, Sky HD, Tiscali TV, Wii Black edition, Xbox 360 all into the amp via hdmi's & the wii plugged into amp with an upgraded component lead (x360 not currently plugged in as ps3 has taken centre stage!)

Majority squeezed into the Alphason Ambri Unit with the rear panel removed to help the units breath better as they were getting very hot, downside when all the lights are on full you can see where i have the tacima on the wall!!!!!
emotion-3.gif

Have got the 7.1 all wired up & in (4 x R45 cubes at side & behind)

Just thinking about changing the centre R45 for a Monitor Audio R250.... would this make much difference? im thinking it will as the R250 have 2no. bass/mids & a front firing tweeter & bass port where as the R45 is one 3" mid & a rear firing tweeter...... so im hoping its worth the investment???? the bag on the floor (right side of right front speaker) is a bag for all the wii & wii bits etc...

DSC00628.jpg

DSC00629.jpg

DSC00633.jpg

DSC00634.jpg

DSC00635.jpg

PS3 Music player from PC playing FLAC files - must say the FLAC audio on this system sounds amazing, so clear & you get every detail & it only plays on the 'fronts' BR2's, the amp does not let you change the sound to surround etc, as you can see in the pic it says PCM for the uncompressed file format - but what a difference, i just wish there was more FLAC audio out there

DSC00636.jpg

DSC00638.jpg

Thanks for looking!

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the comment Messiah, appreciate it. I have looked at the matching model you mention but it seems a little chunkier & i dont think it would be as flush as the R250 in sitting inline with the TV on the wall

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Messiah:
Ha ha!

It's just that it will integrate better with the fronts and I would expect a better overall performance.

Would the sound from it be ok though as the centre speaker is eye level so having the matching model on the unit, would that not make it 'out of line' especially out of line of the fronts? or would it not matter?????

Messiah

I would just angle it up towards the listening position. I have used centres in this sort of position and there are no issues. When it is in place you can just recalibrate the settings to get it sounding right.

Just look at some of the other systems posted on here to see where the centres are.

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Update!

Just taken delivery of a Monitor Audio Bronze centre to match the fronts - will update with pics later.

Also I have covered the sub in Walnut Vinyl to match the cabinet - & it actually is a good job & the Mrs thought i'd bought a new one so it matches!!!
emotion-43.gif

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Craig M
emotion-21.gif

Heres how were looking now - also installed an LED lighting kit - I know there not to every ones taste but last night it was great with just them on - it seemed like the screen was an even better picture. Probably because light is behind the screen & not reflecting

Its a 4 light kit with the red/green/blue LED's that can make 1 million colours, full remote, dimming etc & settings for your own lighting preferences! not bad for £43 delivered
emotion-21.gif

As mentioned i bought Walnut vinyl wrap for the sub as its next to the alphason table, not a perfect match but much closer than the cherry finish.

Should i get a wall mount for the centre to put it inline with the fronts or leave it their?

Oh & thanks to Messiah for putting me in the right direction of the new matching centre - what a fantastic improvement from the R45 to the Bronze BRLCR centre. Sounds just spot on
emotion-2.gif

Sorry for picture quality its me camera phone
emotion-10.gif

pic3.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic1.jpg

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies!

Garland - yeh i know the door, annoys the hell out of me!!!! its the stupid shape of the house, when i had a 32" positioning of the kit was easier, but this is the only bit of wall i have to put the new tv on & able to locate speakers in the 7.1 setup. I considered getting the door moved but it will then mess up all the kitchen the other side!
emotion-43.gif

A

Anonymous

Nice setup you have there, intrigued by the lighting behind the tv. Id have been tempted to get the other half to knock up a cover for the sub (not to be sexist by really cant sew) out of black cotton to blend the sub in with the speaker stands rather than the unit as not to risk damaging the vinyl/veneer if you ever chose to remove it in future, but thats just me. very nice tho, enjoy that new centre.

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
jonajon - i did think about a cover, but could not get me head around how it might look. I opted for the vinyl as i managed to find some that is removable & does not damage what it has been stuck to, so i thought this was best bet & if after a few weeks im not liking the finish it can come off! I may change it to black vinyl yet
emotion-2.gif

Im also looking into getting the centre put on a made to measure solid pine antique finish shelf to match the mantle i had made - just on a much smaller scale! Reason for this, im not liking the off centre sitting on the unit, but its inline with the tv!, so just waiting for a quote on the shelf
emotion-1.gif

Just taken delivery of two more 9" led lighting tubes (the kit can run 6 tubes) so will be looking at where to mount them, either behind the speakers or speaker stands or in the unit? - if in the unit, i will deffo sort that tacima out of eyes view
emotion-10.gif

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Messiah:
Glad to see that Centre!

I also have some LEDs strapped to the back of my TV and I certainly think it adds to the performance.

Cheers Messiah & thanks for the help with a better centre choice, its so much better
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi tj27,

Where did you get those LED lights for £43? I might be tempted to get some myself for that price.

Nice setup BTW, looks much better with the upgraded centre speaker
emotion-21.gif

Cheers

Kris

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks KCooperman
emotion-21.gif

The LED lights are a great (not cheap/tacky) bit of kit at a very good price. I was searching high & low for them & good old ebay came up trumps. The company on ebay are: ultimate HD cables & they sell various sizes of kits/tubes

If you type in 'Home cinema lighting' they are the adverts with the 5 bright stars on the pic. The guy is called Nick & is very helpfull.

I just put 2 more in behind my speaker stands to finish it off
emotion-11.gif

DSC00650.jpg

DSC00647.jpg

DSC00644.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts