Music that makes you emotional

juxter1

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
First off, may I say that I am not ashamed to shed a tear occasionally. What struck me today while storing some of my cd's onto hard drive preparing for a move is that there are pieces of music that can occasionally make you want to smile or even cry at the drop of a hat.

I found that while listening to Mike Oldfield Omadawn that about 6 minutes in on track one was a piece I had listened to quite a few times, but today it had me reaching for the rewind button and cranking up the volume. It was bouncy, light and just seemed to touch me.

Does anyone else have a piece of music that has the same effect?

I know I shall be listening to Omadawn until the day I die now and long may it make me feel the same.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
The main theme to Wallace & Gromit never fails to bring a smile to my face for some reason.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Jason Mraz 'Halfway home' acoustic is a song I find very emotional.

zappa 100

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Most of Bjork's Vespertine.
Barber's Adagio in G.
Jeff Beck's version of "Eulogy For Dunkirk"
Vaughn Williams' "Lark Ascending"

and probably quite a few more .....

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Most things with a beutifull melody or something that takes me back to some point in my life and reminds me of whatever was going on at the time.

A

Anonymous

Dragster Wave by Ghinzu makes me want to drink heavily

And Robbie Williams makes me want to punch myself in the ears

Talk Talk makes me feel good

Gargantuan by Spooky makes me reminisce..........oh and is in my Top 5 albums laminated list.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
brittondave:

emotion-2.gif

arcade fire - in the back seat. makes me think of my girlfriends mum, a wonderful woman no longer with us. with predictable results.

pearl jam - black. my favourite song. eddie vedders voice gives me goose bumps in this song.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Craig M.:brittondave:

emotion-2.gif

arcade fire - in the back seat. makes me think of my girlfriends mum, a wonderful woman no longer with us. with predictable results.

pearl jam - black. my favourite song. eddie vedders voice gives me goose bumps in this song.

Some choices here that I agree with, fellas:

Black: Yep, a great song. For me, it comes third in the Pearl Jam Goosebump-enducing songs list, behind 'NothingMan' and 'Footsteps'

Adagio for strings: so atmospheric. I've heard three or four versions now, but the best is the version that I heard first, on 'The Best Of Chilled Classics'. it's slower than the other versions i've heard, and more powerful for it. Check the version out, if you fancy

HERE

I've found more songs are moving me, since I got my existing set-up. Songs that i've heard hundreds of times on old, inferior systems and had no effect on me are taking me by surprise, the first time I play them on the current system. I think it's because of the realism that a great system can produce.

The most recent surprise was Jewel's - Foolish Games, from 'Pieces Of You'. The bonus track version (trk 15). I've had the album for about thirteen years and played it loads, but it was the first time on this Hi-Fi. I had the album on, while messing about on the net, not really paying much attention to the music. The track started and within the first bar of piano, I had goosebumps and when Jewel sang her first note, I started booing. This wasn't a single tear, welling on my eyelid. Oh no, this was bloody tears streaming down my face. Unbelievable what music can do to ya.

Luther Vandross - 'Dance With My Father'. To be honest, it doesn't matter what I play this on, I could play it on a kazzoo and i'd still have a boo. The combination of Luther's voice and those lyrics are heartbreaking.

Damien Rice - 'The Blower's Daughter'. When Lisa Hannigan sings her part, it's goosebump city.

Sting - 'They Dance Alone', 'Fragile' and 'Shape Of My Heart'.

Jeff Buckley - 'Hallelujah'

And after all that crying, I cheer myself up by listening to Derek and Clive - 'Colin'. The funniest 15 seconds that has ever been put down on CD.

A

Anonymous

For me it's got to be

'something in the way' by Nirvana it dose something really strange to me.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Nothing's Gonna Change Your Mind - Badly Drawn Boy
The Way That He Sings - My Morning Jacket
I Know Very Well How I Got My Name - Morrissey
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths
Via Chicago - Wilco

davemartin01

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Every Stranger's Eyes from The Pro's and Cons of Hitchhiking by Roger Waters. A particular build up where the female vocals and Roger come together.

A

Anonymous

davemartin01:Every Stranger's Eyes from The Pro's and Cons of Hitchhiking by Roger Waters. A particular build up where the female vocals and Roger come together.

great track

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
bretty:
Black: Yep, a great song. For me, it comes third in the Pearl Jam Goosebump-enducing songs list, behind 'NothingMan' and 'Footsteps'

It really is a great track. I havent played Ten for years, but have dug it out since reading this thread!

For me, music doesn't necessarily make me "emotional", what it does do is evoke memories of times/places/feelings, dependent on where I was at the time when originally listening to it. In my opinion this is a really important "feature" of my music collection, and something which is unique to music.

Pearl Jam (as Ive just dug the album out), for example reminds me of school. You just couldn't go in the 6th form common room without hearing some Pearl Jam or other! Also Smashing Pumpkins were never off my stereo when I was growing up, so different albums take me back to different times. Great.

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
pearl jam - black or pearl jam - garden. Its the dynamics of garden that get me every time. The main theme to jurassic park is very moving too.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
1) Watching and listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan in full flight, eg Live at the El Mocambo;

2) Chris Cornell's version of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean'';

3) Robert Plant's "Darkness, Darkness'';

4) Theme from the movie "Il Postino'' with Pablo Neruda's poetry read by celebrities (Julia Roberts, Samuel L Jackson, Sting, Madonna etc);

5) Tommy Emmanuel's version of "Classical Gas'' (watch it on YouTube!!!);

6) "Sails of Charon'' by The Scorpions (played by Uli Jon Roth)

A

Anonymous

For me it's songs that take me back to a place or time, like...

Harry Chapin...any of his live ballads; Taxi, Mr Tanner or A Better Place To Be

Samual Barber Adagio for strings has been mentioned before but is gorgeous

Talk Talk, The Blue Nile and The The always move me and of course my fave

John Martyn; Small Hours or One World are very heartfelt and moving...

camac

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
If you want to run the whole range of emotions in 1 album then listen to

"Henryk Gorecki Symphony No 3 Sorrowful Songs".

You will plummet the depths of despair at the start and by the end you will soar to the heights of euphoria.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
JamesOK:bretty:

It really is a great track. I havent played Ten for years, but have dug it out since reading this thread!

For me, music doesn't necessarily make me "emotional", what it does do is evoke memories of times/places/feelings, dependent on where I was at the time when originally listening to it. In my opinion this is a really important "feature" of my music collection, and something which is unique to music.

Pearl Jam (as Ive just dug the album out), for example reminds me of school. You just couldn't go in the 6th form common room without hearing some Pearl Jam or other! Also Smashing Pumpkins were never off my stereo when I was growing up, so different albums take me back to different times. Great.

I think we much be of pretty similar ages, James. I'm 34 and was 16 when Ten came out. I think our generation had the last really great music scene. We had Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Mudhoney, Smashing Pumpkins, Screaming Trees, Tool. I know some of those bands are still going, but they started with us.

manicm

brittondave:

Dragster Wave by Ghinzu makes me want to drink heavily

Talk Talk makes me feel good

Gargantuan by Spooky makes me reminisce..........oh and is in my Top 5 albums laminated list.

Talk Talk? Life's What You Make It certainly makes one feel good. On the other hand you probably haven't heard I Believe In You. If there's any song that's remotely brought me to tears this is it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts