Music that makes you emotional

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

Often it's the stuff that's more "up" in mood than down. I heard Madness' cover versions album "The Dangermen Sessions" a few weeks back on Spotify and one track - "Taller Than You Are" - just hit all the right buttons. Bought the CD, onto the iPod, played it last night and it just has all the right ingredients. Great ska rhythm, Suggs vocals on top and they nailed the reggae/ska beat in the background. Great stuff.

On the other hand, there's a song off Rush's "Farewell to Kings" album (Madrigal) that's been a favourite since I first heard it in the late 70s. And Motorhead's "1916"...well, it's the musical equivalent of "All Quiet On The Western Front". I think Lemmy's a gifted songwriter, biting lyrics sometimes, but this one's over and above his best by far. Listen to it, it's exactly the opposite of the music most of you are probably all thinking it is.

manicm

MUSICRAFT:

If there is something by Roxy Music. Not sure about emotional but i find this thought provoking.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

If There Is Something is one of my favourites. Roxy's first four albums are bona fide classics, whether you hate Ferry or not. They're still hugely underrated when people talk 70s rock.

A

Anonymous

The Girl with the Flaxen Hair....by Isao Tomita

She moves through the Air....by All About Eve

Claire De Lune.....by just about anybody

JorisC

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
* Pearl Jam - Black
* Nirvana - Where did you sleep tonight?;
* Led Zeppelin - Dazed & Confused (goose bumps)
* John Butler - Ocean (live, acoustic) ;
* Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
tyson1980:
For me it's got to be

'something in the way' by Nirvana it dose something really strange to me.

Me too! I was realy surprised when I read this, though great song too.

bwv572

Aug 20, 2006
Visit site
'O Mensch, bewein dein Snde groá' (a Bach chorale prelude)

Whitlock's wonderful Sonata in C

Taverner's 'The Little Lamb' (but only at Christmas)

Oh, and the theme to 'Cinema Paradiso'

A

Anonymous

Most modern music makes me feel nauseous!

Seriously:

Four Last Songs by Strauss (Gewandhausorchester Leipzig/Norman)

The Lark Ascending (RVW)

Rush - The Spirit of Radio reminds me of being 12

Any music should stir some kind of emotion in the soul.....

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Robbie Williams, Queen (in the late 70's and all of the 80's) and James Blunt all make me want to stick knitting needles in my ears.

Do You Realize by Flaming Lips, In The Neighbourhood by Tom Waits, Abide With Me sung at the FA Cup Final in the 70's and 80's by the crowd all choke me some.

Talk Talk albums Spirit Of Eden and Laughing Stock are awesome

southdownswolf

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
When September Ends by Green Day, luckily my Dad just made it past September else I don't think that I would be able to listen to it again.

Disintegration by The Cure, fabulous album, with a full range of emotions. From the warmth of Lovesong, to the anger of Fascination Street through to the sadness of the title track.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
bretty:JamesOK:bretty:
Black: Yep, a great song. For me, it comes third in the Pearl Jam Goosebump-enducing songs list, behind 'NothingMan' and 'Footsteps'

It really is a great track. I havent played Ten for years, but have dug it out since reading this thread!

For me, music doesn't necessarily make me "emotional", what it does do is evoke memories of times/places/feelings, dependent on where I was at the time when originally listening to it. In my opinion this is a really important "feature" of my music collection, and something which is unique to music.

Pearl Jam (as Ive just dug the album out), for example reminds me of school. You just couldn't go in the 6th form common room without hearing some Pearl Jam or other! Also Smashing Pumpkins were never off my stereo when I was growing up, so different albums take me back to different times. Great.

I think we much be of pretty similar ages, James. I'm 34 and was 16 when Ten came out. I think our generation had the last really great music scene. We had Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Mudhoney, Smashing Pumpkins, Screaming Trees, Tool. I know some of those bands are still going, but they started with us.

Yep, I am 32 although started being interested in music at a pretty young age. And yeah youre right, there was a lot of good stuff around the early to mid 1990s. I've broadened my horizons quite a lot since then, and now like a lot of different genres, but at that time I lived on a diet of grunge with probably a sprinkling of brit pop and a side dish of Manchester stuff.

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
ESP2009:The main theme to Wallace & Gromit never fails to bring a smile to my face for some reason.
emotion-2.gif

Funny you should mention that, has exactly the same effect on me, along with James Bond and Star Wars main themes
emotion-2.gif

I'd end up with an essay but the top few, for me personally would be (in no particular order):

'For he is an Englishman', ((HMS Pinafore / Gilbert & Sullivan) - as my Granddad used to sing this for an opera society)),
'Angles' Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip
'Seven Days In The Sun' - Feeder,
'Velvet' - The Big Pink,
'9pm Till I come' - Atb,
'Song 2', 'Coffee & TV' - Blur,
'24-Hour Garage People' - Half Man Half Biscuit
'Teenage Kicks' - The Undertones,
'Porcelain' - Moby,
'54-46' - Toots & The Maytals,
'Maple Leaf Rag' - Scott Joplin,
'Jupiter' - Holst - The Planets.

Oh one last one, 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life' - Monty Python
emotion-2.gif

southdownswolf

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
JamesOK:bretty:JamesOK:bretty:
Black: Yep, a great song. For me, it comes third in the Pearl Jam Goosebump-enducing songs list, behind 'NothingMan' and 'Footsteps'

It really is a great track. I havent played Ten for years, but have dug it out since reading this thread!

For me, music doesn't necessarily make me "emotional", what it does do is evoke memories of times/places/feelings, dependent on where I was at the time when originally listening to it. In my opinion this is a really important "feature" of my music collection, and something which is unique to music.

Pearl Jam (as Ive just dug the album out), for example reminds me of school. You just couldn't go in the 6th form common room without hearing some Pearl Jam or other! Also Smashing Pumpkins were never off my stereo when I was growing up, so different albums take me back to different times. Great.

I think we much be of pretty similar ages, James. I'm 34 and was 16 when Ten came out. I think our generation had the last really great music scene. We had Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Mudhoney, Smashing Pumpkins, Screaming Trees, Tool. I know some of those bands are still going, but they started with us.

Yep, I am 32 although started being interested in music at a pretty young age. And yeah youre right, there was a lot of good stuff around the early to mid 1990s. I've broadened my horizons quite a lot since then, and now like a lot of different genres, but at that time I lived on a diet of grunge with probably a sprinkling of brit pop and a side dish of Manchester stuff.

I was lucky enough to see Nirvana several times, including the much talked about Reading appearances. At the time I was into the Wonderstuff, Cure, Siouxsie, punk and certain aspects of the "Madchester" scene, but Nirvana, Tool and NIN were absolutely spectacular live.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
southdownswolf:
I was lucky enough to see Nirvana several times, including the much talked about Reading appearances. At the time I was into the Wonderstuff, Cure, Siouxsie, punk and certain aspects of the "Madchester" scene, but Nirvana, Tool and NIN were absolutely spectacular live.

I too was into the Wonderstuff, Jesus Jones, Transvision Vamp etc. Saw them all in the Newport centre in the mid 1990's. From what I remember, Wonderstuff were supported by a little known band called "Radiohead" who when the a certain Tom Yorke said "this is our last song" everyone cheered (in happiness they were going off, not in anticipation of an encore).
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Eagles - Hotel California DTS live

Jacques Loussier plays bach ; air on the g string

Adagio for strings - Samuel Barber

Autumn leaves - Cannonball Edderley feat. Miles davis

Take 5- Dave Brubeck

A

Anonymous

From Porcupine Tree's Album " In Absentia ".........track 12 : Collapse the Light Into Earth

Gets to me this one!

A

Anonymous

David sylvian stuff partic...Damage,darkest dreaming...likewise peter gabriel..they both have a very strong presence but a very human vulnerability ..which gets me..

A

Anonymous

The Funeral by Band of Horses is worth a listen.

Sounds even better as the soundtrack to Danny Macaskill on his bike (youtube).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts