Music On Vinyl

8673sharp

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I have notice recently that a few decent albums are coming up on the Music on Vinyl label.

I have no complaints with the sound quality on the ones I have bought recently ie Sly and the Family Stone best of and the Strokes Is this It.

It's the packaging that puts me off, it just seems stingy.

I paid £22 for Sly and the Family Stone which is fine by me, however both records were squeezed in to the same cove, not even a gatefold.

No download or CD (not a deal breaker for me, but for some maybe.)

But the stingy packaging is putting me off buying things like Pulp His n' Hers. and a few others they have that I would ordinarily be interested in.

Is anyone else even that bothered about how their vinyl comes?

Am I just being a pretentious chin stroker? (Dont answer that:silenced: )

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Was the album gatefold to start with? If so then you'd expect the re-press to be as well, but if it wasn't, then probably not.

At least you're pleased with the price: many people seem to be abhored by the price of new LPs these days, but compared to 'back in the day' they're not *that* much more expensive in real terms, especially when you consider the pressing-plants haven't anywhere near the same economies of scale they used to have. In the mid 80s I routinely paid £6.99-£8.99 for major artists' new LPs at HMV and Our Price, which would be about £17-£21 now.

I remember seeing a 1963 mono pressing of Please Please Me on eBay a few months ago, and after nearly 50 years it still had the original price-sticker on it. I can't remember what the price was exactly, but I ran it through the inflation calculator at www.thisismoney.co.uk and it came out at something like £35 in modern terms! And when you consider the stereo pressing would have been more expensive still, it kind of puts it in perspective.

8673sharp

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Thats a good point regarding the gatefolds actually, I hadnt even thought of that.
But I would have thought that if the album is a double then it would be nice to have a gatefold, Im sure they can find something to fill it with (It's Sly and the Family stone fercrissakes!!).
Also, I have just recently bought Blur's Parklife album (not no Music on Vinyl)on which the packaging is amazing and the price the same.
It puts me off slightly as the Pulp album His and Hers is on this label which is an album I love. The CD had interchangeable covers, but i am pretty sure this vinyl one won't.
I just think they missed a trick with what are some great albums they are putting out.
Maybe I am being spoilt in that alot of bands and labels are putting out gatefold as standard nowadays!
One of my main reasons for loving vinyl is the expanded artwork.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts