Music from NAS via Sonos ZP90

markvh1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I already have a NAS backup drive in my study and an ethernet cable from study (Gigabit switch) to lounge which is connected to the TV at the moment for BBC iPlayer.

I want to make use of this setup to play my uncompressed music files through my new Audiolab 8200CD (which I collect tomorrow) using the DAC on board the Audiolab CDP.

I am considering connecting the ethernet cable to a Sonos ZP90 using the ZP90 digital out connected to the Audiolab CDP digital in via coax and the CD player connected to the amp via the usual analogue connectors.

Is using a Sonos ZP90 system the right way to do it or is there a better way that won't cost much more.

With this method, I could also get some Sonos 3 or 5's for other areas of the house in the future.

All suggestions welcome ta.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Your idea would work perfectly. Just bear in mind if you don't have a native Sonos controller an iPhone/Android controller would need to be in range of your own wireless network in order to control the ZP90.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
There are other options that can achieve the same thing for less money (Squeezebox touch for instance), however the Sonos has the best interface in the business and it has 2 ethernet ports so you could daisy-chain the zp90 to your Tv, rather than have to run a 2nd cable from the study.

markvh1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all,

I am proposing to use my iPod Touch as the controller. I didn't know it would have to be in range of the wireless router though, just in range of the ZP90. I have never been able to get it to connect to my router though I never have had a problem with connecting to wi-fi hotspots. I have been considering getting an iPad to use as a controller though.

I didn'r realise I could daisy chain through the ZP90 to the TV. I was intending to get a Gigabit 4 port switch to connect the ethernet cable from the study into then take two ethernet cables out of the switch, one to the ZP90 and one to the TV.

Thanks again.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The same caveat applies to the iPad though, it too will need to connect through your own wireless, only sonos controllers can directly access zoneplayers via the sonos wireless network.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts