Music at low volumes

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am still finding my feet here but am enjoying reading the posts very much.

I was wondering whether there is anything specific one should look out for, whether in speakers or amp when seeking to play music at low volumes.

Any ideas?

PS before anybody suggests ~ I know how to use the volume control!

A

Anonymous

I'll get me coat
emotion-21.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Yes. Many speakers only open up as the volume gets a bit higher. Also many amps have poor volume controls, ideally you want one that goes up in very small volume increments rather than turning the dial 5 degrees and the volume blasting you out of your chair

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:Yes. Many speakers only open up as the volume gets a bit higher. Also many amps have poor volume controls, ideally you want one that goes up in very small volume increments rather than turning the dial 5 degrees and the volume blasting you out of your chair.

You said Arcam?

matthewpiano

Buy an amp with big transformers and plenty of current. They always sound better at low volumes than amps with weedy transformers. My Denon has two big transformers and sounds just as good at very low levels as it does when at higher volumes.

Also look for fairly efficient speakers of around 89dB - decent sized standmounts or floorstanders rather than tiny speakers.

A

Anonymous

Tubes are famous for their ability to produce an involving sound without the need of listening too loud.

Some SS gear can also do this, but not as much as tubes, IMHO.

As for speakers, I think speakers which are too polite (by this I basically mean: too shy dynamically, and with softened transient attacks) usually force you to turn up the volume, in order to feel the music.

A

Anonymous

I suggest that any soft sounding amp is good, I don't think it has to be velve amp, I've got Plinius 8200 MKll intergrated, it's solid state and yet it stays smooth and clear even in very high volume. In low volume it's still very clear, it's perfect when friends are over and you have to lower the volume for a conversation. The downside is Plinius takes off the edges of the sound, that means too smooth on rock music.

Actually my previous PSE lll intergrated ( with the velve pre amp), even with 100w p/c it sounds so distant and unclear when in low volume. Though I do agree with high current and big transformer, normally class A amp has that(i.e musical fidelity), they are able to cut down the distortion to minimun. What other soft sounding hi-fi I have heard before was Primare, it's got pretty clean sound and it's very nice even in low volume.

Andy

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys.

matthewpiano:Buy an amp with big transformers and plenty of current.

Is this the output? If so, what is the benchmark?

matthewpiano: Also look for fairly efficient speakers of around 89dB - decent sized standmounts or floorstanders rather than tiny speakers.

Would I be correct to assume that the higher dB the more efficient?

TRENDING THREADS