multi room without router

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

My Pops wants to listen to music around his house approx 5 rooms, He has seen my sonos and it is exactly what he wants but being ZERO tech minded he has no computer/router etc, I said i would ask you peeps in the know if/what he can do, He has cd's but also loved the lastfm on sonos

Look forward to advice

Thanks in advance

John Duncan

Well Sonos can set up its own network, so no need for a router, but the lack of PC makes it harder since there's nowhere to store or manage your music. You'd need to look at some of the NASes which have built in ripping/cataloguing facilities - there are a few around but I'd have to dig for exact models.

A

Anonymous

Ok thanks, He has phone line but no broadband although this is possible if required, i presumed it would, Sonos on its own network is this without internet?

John Duncan

Yes, the Sonoses just talk to each other without having to join an existing wireless (or wired) network as Squeezebox or Airport Express would. However, lack of broadband is going to seriously curtail his enjoyment of lastfm...

Does he have a budget in mind? Five zones is a lot to fill...

A

Anonymous

I dont think budget is a problem, I have said what mine has cost but i am now adding as and when, He himself will add as and when, Probably 3 zones to start, I have said he may need to sign into broadband,

John Duncan

That'd be a good idea, I think - it would certainly open up lots more listening opportunities. You might also find that a cheap PC wouldn't go amiss - probably cheaper than any of the ripping NAS devices I've found so far...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Yes, the Sonoses just talk to each other without having to join an existing wireless (or wired) network as Squeezebox or Airport Express would.

That's not strictly true, you know why one Zoneplayer must be wired? Sonos still needs something to give it IP addresses, each zoneplayer requires an IP address, which normally comes from the router.

If your dad's music is on a PC you could set up a DHCP server on the PC then plug one ZP into the PC, that will fulfill that requirement, however internet access is required for the zoneplayers to register themselves with Sonos during the initial setup. I don't know whether that's a stage in the setup you can skip but I doubt it, the players will also look for the latest version of the firmware when they're first setup. This IS a requirement as there's no guarantee all your zoneplayers will have the same versions out of the box and they must be running the same firmware level.

There's nothing to stop you taking the lot to your place and doing all the setup through your router/broadband though and then shipping it all over to your dad's place.

Does he have a budget in mind? Five zones is a lot to fill...

Yes, you're looking at 2 grand there, depending on how many controllers you need. The ZP120 is an eyewatering 400 quid now! Even I have to admit that's getting pretty ludicrous, especially as the S5, which is basically a 120 with added speakers, is 50 quid LESS!

Hmmm, BU250 bundle at £800, x2, plus 400, yup £2000 for 2xZP90, 3xZP120 and 2xCR200, if you don't want 2 ZP90s then it's a bundle plus 3x120, which is still 2 grand and you've got one less controller. Like I said replace one or more ZP120s with an S5 and you'll shave 50 quid off each one. Still a lot of money though.

A

Anonymous

Thank you JD for your help,

the-lhc

Thanks for your views,

Now you put it that way it is alot of money for something if your not going to use it to full potential, I think his best bet maybe to turn volume up more
emotion-2.gif

Maybe he will have to think on decent cd player set up and fit speakers through out, I presume this is possible

TRENDING THREADS