MT30 WITH DIFFERENT CENTRE SPEAKER

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am gradually getting there with my home cinema setup. This is what I have bought so far Denon 2310, PV1 Sub, 3 B&W M1 Sats 2 front and 1 centre all connected with QED micro speaker cable. My problem is I love the M1 Sats but not as a centre speaker is there any other make of centre speaker that I could use that would sound good with my setup? I was thinking of replacing the centre with the monitor audio R180HD and then buying one more M1 Sat and I would then have two M1 Sats for the rears.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Please don't! The centre speaker is integral to the performance of a surround speaker package; swap it out for another brand and the cohesion will be lost and you risk a muddled, unbalanced sound.

As a rule, the front three speakers should all be from the same package (or at the very least the same manufacturer. assuming their ranges are 'voiced' the same); rears and subwoofer you can get away with difference sizes/makes as long as they're a tonal fit.

What is it about the M1 as a centre you don't like?

Also, you could do with better speaker cable... the Micro's OK in budget set-ups, but you've got a superior system there, and it deserves a cable upgrade.

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare, I don't think the speech from the centre is as clear as it should be. Will upgrading the cables to the like of the Qed Silver Anniversary XT make much difference?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, a cable upgrade should definitely help (Chord Carnival Silverscreen is even better than the QED, though the QED XT remains and excellent choice), but i'd also check your set-up.

Ddid you check the settings on your Denon after running auto set-up? Sometimes a receiver can misjudge the size of speakers, so get the mix wrong. More in our 'How to Set up your AV receiver' video here

It's also worth looking at the Audyssey modes on the Denon - we've found you can improve sound by switching this processing off.

Finally, how/where have you got your centre speaker? Is it properly supported, in line with the other front speakers etc? This can make a big difference to clarity.

We've never had any issues with the M-1 as a centre speaker -hence the many Awards the MT-30 has won! - so i'm sure it's just a matter of maximising its potential within your current set-up.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd try adjusting the level and EQ on the centre channel - see Denon manual page 51 or thereabouts. Try giving a bit of a boost in the 1kHz-3kHz area and raising the overall level of that channel, and see whether that helps...

A

Anonymous

Ok thanks, I will try changing the settings on the amp and maybe upgrade the cables to the Chord Carnival silverscreen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts