MP200 vs AT150MLX

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
You know how it is, just when you think you know which phono cartridge you're going for someone says, why don't you try this instead? So after much research, and discussion on this forum, I'd decided on the Nagaoka MP200. I'll be using it with my Pink Triangle LPT, RB300 fully loaded by Origin Live, and a Moth 30 phono stage. Then a guy who repairs turntables for a living suggests the Audio Technica AT150MLX as an alternative. Within my budget, in fact it costs a little less that the MP200 but, in his opinion, performs better, more like an MP300 but for less dosh.

I'm still leaning towards the Nag MP200, from what I've read the AT sounds a bit brighter and can sound harsh until it's had a lengthy run-in. Without being able to compare the two side by side it's hard to know what the long-term differences will be. I know the decision is mine, but am I missing a trick?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
6and8 said:
You know how it is, just when you think you know which phono cartridge you're going for someone says, why don't you try this instead? So after much research, and discussion on this forum, I'd decided on the Nagaoka MP200. I'll be using it with my Pink Triangle LPT, RB300 fully loaded by Origin Live, and a Moth 30 phono stage. Then a guy who repairs turntables for a living suggests the Audio Technica AT150MLX as an alternative. Within my budget, in fact it costs a little less that the MP200 but, in his opinion, performs better, more like an MP300 but for less dosh.

I'm still leaning towards the Nag MP200, from what I've read the AT sounds a bit brighter and can sound harsh until it's had a lengthy run-in. Without being able to compare the two side by side it's hard to know what the long-term differences will be. I know the decision is mine, but am I missing a trick?

I think its a matter of taste, depends what you want, from what I have read I would go with Nag MP200, the AT may give you more detail but also more surface noise and yes some say its bright.

BigH said:
6and8 said:

I think its a matter of taste, depends what you want, from what I have read I would go with Nag MP200, the AT may give you more detail but also more surface noise and yes some say its bright.

I haven't heard that particular AT, he may be right. I do rate and have recommended their AT440Mlb but this is in a much cheaper price bracket.

I would debate the need to run in any cartridge for an extended period of time. If it doesn't sound good almost immediately I would not take it for granted it's going to sound any better later.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Had a few faulty Elicit Rs ( well documented on here ) - got refunded in the end and got a Valve Amp, having small children highlighted that it wasnt very practical and the other half detested the looks.

Went back to another Elciit R last year - Happy with it until my Tinnitus but thats not the amps fault !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts