Moving original speakers to upgraded home theatre system

jimjamz

Dec 22, 2021
Visit site
Hello,
I'm new to the forums (and to audio cable modding as you'll find out!).

I've owned a Philips LX3000D home theatre system for over 20 years, including the original 5.1 speaker and subwoofer setup.
The LX3000D unit has been plagued with audio issues over the past couple of years, and I've sourced a period correct replacement (and upgrade) in the LX9000R unit.

I want to move my existing speaker setup over to the LX9000R. The speaker connections are the same (speaker wire) with matching connectors and the same impedance (4 ohms).
The subwoofer connection however, is different. The LX3000D and subwoofer have an RCA to RCA connection (CENTRE LINE OUT).
The LX9000R does not have such a connection, instead having SUB LEFT and SUB RIGHT positive and negative speaker wire connections.

How can I connect my original subwoofer to the new unit?
I found this RCA splitter cable on eBay.

Can it be done by cutting the left and right RCA male connectors from the cable, and directly connecting the positive and negative from each to the speaker wire connections on the back of the LX9000R?
I presume it also wouldn't matter which is connected to the SUB LEFT and SUB RIGHT, as the original RCA connection dictates it outputs a single channel?

Also, after reading my LX3000D manual, the specifications state that the maximum power output of the subwoofer is 4 ohms.
However, I noticed that the SUB LEFT and SUB RIGHT connections on the back of the LX9000R display an 8 ohms signal.
Being a complete noob with speaker impedance, would it be safe to connect the subwoofer to this unit?

Attachments

• 2021-12-22-082641_002.jpg
    2021-12-22-082641_002.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 2021-12-22-082641_001.jpg
    2021-12-22-082641_001.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 5

Tinman1952

Hi.
The LX3000D and subwoofer have an RCA to RCA connection (CENTRE LINE OUT).
I presume you mean WOOFER line out on the LX3000D as that is the correct connection to a subwoofer!

The SUB LEFT SUB RIGHT speaker connections on the LX 9000R are high level outputs (after the amplification stage) and cannot be connected to the line level input on your sub.
You need to use the 'line out' connections on the LX 9000R to your sub. 👍

jimjamz

Dec 22, 2021
Visit site
Hi.

I presume you mean WOOFER line out on the LX3000D as that is the correct connection to a subwoofer!

The SUB LEFT SUB RIGHT speaker connections on the LX 9000R are high level outputs (after the amplification stage) and cannot be connected to the line level input on your sub.
You need to use the 'line out' connections on the LX 9000R to your sub. 👍

Hi Tinman1952,
Thanks for your reply.
Sorry, yes I meant WOOFER LINE OUT (I wasn't paying attention when typing that one out).
Ah, I see. So, I should still use the same splitter cable, but keep the RCA connectors and attach these to the left and right LINE OUT on the LX9000R?
Also, do you feel there are any impedance issues I should be concerned about before connecting?

Thanks! (y)

Tinman1952

Hi Tinman1952,
Thanks for your reply.
Sorry, yes I meant WOOFER LINE OUT (I wasn't paying attention when typing that one out).
Ah, I see. So, I should still use the same splitter cable, but keep the RCA connectors and attach these to the left and right LINE OUT on the LX9000R?
Also, do you feel there are any impedance issues I should be concerned about before connecting?

Thanks! (y)
That's correct! 🙂
No problems with impedance as you are using the line out connection and the amplification is in the sub.
Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts