more bass

Goldsmith

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi ! I have Marantz cd5001, pm6002 and floorstanders Jamo c405 with Straightwire interconnects and cables. Though I' ve been told my speakers are"overkill" for the system, i do get a very pleasing sound out of them. No doubt the amp must get equal credit for this. As i hanker after a heavier bass than what i can obtain from the current set up, i wonder what sort of an upgrade i must look for in future.

I have set up this system on a 4 x 5 m room, and i know it's not the best for floorstanders, should the upgrade be bigger room or any of the components i use

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I agree with Big Chris. A subwoofer has other benefits too. I've come round to the 2.1 solution fairly late and fully embrace it now.

Having said that (and I am not familiar with your speakers) there is a lot more grip, power and bass depth to be had in addition to what the little marantz can do, as good as it may be. Its just a question of budget.

The good thing about a quality sub is that it is probably not obsolete even if you upgrade around it. A good investment if chosen carefully.

A

Anonymous

Goldsmith:
Hi ! I have Marantz cd5001, pm6002 and floorstanders Jamo c405 with Straightwire interconnects and cables. Though I' ve been told my speakers are"overkill" for the system, i do get a very pleasing sound out of them. No doubt the amp must get equal credit for this. As i hanker after a heavier bass than what i can obtain from the current set up, i wonder what sort of an upgrade i must look for in future.

I have set up this system on a 4 x 5 m room, and i know it's not the best for floorstanders, should the upgrade be bigger room or any of the components i use

Have you experimented with speaker positioning? It might save you some bucks!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
C405_med.jpg

Have to say I would have thought these would give more than enough bass in a 4x5m room, but there y'go! And with speakers that big your positioning options will be limited in that kind of space.

So yes, a sub would be a sensible move if you want more, but given the fact that the C405s claim to go down to 40Hz, make sure whichever sub you buy gives useful extension down below that point.

IMHO it might be worth considering a meatier amp to get a better grip on the speakers and drive them better, which could well give better bass. Jamo's C series speakers, going right back to the original Concert models, are known for thriving when you sneak up behind them and hit them with a decent dose of power.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I am with Mr. E on this one although 40 Hz are not gonna shake you room (not sure if that what you want!) but you gonna get a better sounding bass if the amp can drive speakers correctly.

Call me an Audiofool if you wish but unless the sub is a very good one (which also mean very expensive) I rather have less bass than the boomy - coloured - fake sounding low frequency. get my coat now shall I?

Goldsmith

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Thank you all for your inputs. I note Andrew's feedback concerning the abilities of Concert family with great satisfaction. This is because comment/feedback/review atleast on C 405 has been almost nonexistant-in this forum and elsewhere too. So my speakers are not that anonymous anymore.

I recall from my listening sessions in shops, that amps with higher wattage have greater authority and if I may put it this way - pegged to the ground feeling - about their sound, a depth that can be felt somewhere deep within. PM7001 had it to some degree more than the PM6002 that day but the latter was so open and crisp that I couldn't escape it's charm.

I had somehow always thought that a proper amp / floorstander setup should be able to do without a sub. I'd rather readily agree to a sub option if the main speakers are standmounters as they produce less bass. But if the end justify the means, one must accept this option

Your comments have been wothwhile and i have learnt much .Thanks again, it's been wonderful. Till next time

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thaiman:
I am with Mr. E on this one although 40 Hz are not gonna shake you room (not sure if that what you want!) but you gonna get a better sounding bass if the amp can drive speakers correctly.

Call me an Audiofool if you wish but unless the sub is a very good one (which also mean very expensive) I rather have less bass than the boomy - coloured - fake sounding low frequency. get my coat now shall I?

Hi Thaiman

Agree, until I bought my sub I've never fancied the idea, probably because I've heard so many bad set-ups. It always put me right off.

The sub I bought recently is cheap (it was first introduced some 7 years ago I believe though I bought it new), small with a fast paper cone in a sealed cabinet. Power is puny by modern standards too. I've used it with large floorstanders, standmounts and actives. It's always subtle, underpinning even large speakers and never boomy. Fast and delineated. You'd have to stand right next to it to hear it's actually on yet if you switch it off, the difference is profound.

I think for truly deep powerful bass a large cabinet sub (or subs) with equally large drivers is needed and good engineering costs money. There's only so much a small unit such as mine can do and it won't be ideal for HT but I've not once regretted getting it yet.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Morning fatboyslimfast

It's the original MJ Acoustics Pro 50 (MK1) though in Ruark Vita 50 form. I got it of ebay after hearing one in a (good) system. I believe BK or MJ Acoustic sell the same model under the Minotaur name.

Hope this helps

TRENDING THREADS