Mordaunt Short Help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just purchased 906i's, 902i's and a 905i centre. I have not found a sub I liked yet and I am using a Denon 588 Receiver (its old, and I don't have the money for the one I want right now).

Is it a bad idea to use 902i's as rears for the 906i. Its not too late to take anything back. I just figured that the 902i's sounded so good as fronts, and could be great rears for the 906i's. Or, should I use the 906i's as rears?

I have recently built some speakers stands I will be filling with sand to place the 902i's on.

Any advice for a beginner on this system? Any Recommendations for a more appropriate receiver in the future (if this would effact the placement decision)?

(In the meantime I am using an older Yamaha sub)

Thanks, any comments would be appreciated!

A

Anonymous

902i's will be fine for the rear, the rear speakers are only used for the surround sound effects so the 906 would be a bit overkill. I'm currently using the 906, 905 and 903 bipole as my rear speakers. The speakers took a long time to run in, so don't be surprised if they sound too bright to start with, however even once the speakers are run in they will still be on the brightside, so you will want to avoid partnering them with a bright amp. I'm not familiar with the Denon amps, but I believe they're not bright, unlike the Sony amp I originally used in my setup, which I then changed for the Marantz sr6004. I'm using a Velodyne sub, which is very good, but I didn't have much choice when I purchased it so I didn't get to compare it to anything else.

A

Anonymous

I knew someone that used the 902i's as rears, its fine and makes more sense as already said.

A

Anonymous

Agree, 902i's are fine as rears as long as the output levels are adjusted fine so that they are a good deal lower than the rest of the speakers. I take it you have tried the ms309 sub? in my opinion it goes perfect with the other speakers you have and is unbeatable at the price you can get them for, have known others who have tried the Wharfedale SW150 Sub with good results, which you can pick up for around £150 at superfi i think i see it.

A

Anonymous

Well, I got the 902i's for a really good price. What exactly do you mean to adjust them lower than the other speakers?

A

Anonymous

Paul1568:902i's will be fine for the rear, the rear speakers are only used for the surround sound effects so the 906 would be a bit overkill. I'm currently using the 906, 905 and 903 bipole as my rear speakers. The speakers took a long time to run in, so don't be surprised if they sound too bright to start with, however even once the speakers are run in they will still be on the brightside, so you will want to avoid partnering them with a bright amp. I'm not familiar with the Denon amps, but I believe they're not bright, unlike the Sony amp I originally used in my setup, which I then changed for the Marantz sr6004. I'm using a Velodyne sub, which is very good, but I didn't have much choice when I purchased it so I didn't get to compare it to anything else.

I have not yet broken mine in. Overall, are you pretty happy with their sound? This avant series was my first real speakers set up for music, movies, sports, etc. There doesn't seem to be a lot of MS users out there. Would you recommend returning the 902i's for the 903's? They were a really good deal and I figured that they are good speakers on their own, in case I want to move them into a room on their own some day. Im going to have a look at some Marantz amps this weekend. Thanks for the help.

A

Anonymous

RKP:
Well, I got the 902i's for a really good price. What exactly do you mean to adjust them lower than the other speakers?
Sorry, the output level in db for each speaker which should be in your denon's reciever menu .

A

Anonymous

RKP:
Paul1568:902i's will be fine for the rear, the rear speakers are only used for the surround sound effects so the 906 would be a bit overkill. I'm currently using the 906, 905 and 903 bipole as my rear speakers. The speakers took a long time to run in, so don't be surprised if they sound too bright to start with, however even once the speakers are run in they will still be on the brightside, so you will want to avoid partnering them with a bright amp. I'm not familiar with the Denon amps, but I believe they're not bright, unlike the Sony amp I originally used in my setup, which I then changed for the Marantz sr6004. I'm using a Velodyne sub, which is very good, but I didn't have much choice when I purchased it so I didn't get to compare it to anything else.

I have not yet broken mine in. Overall, are you pretty happy with their sound? This avant series was my first real speakers set up for music, movies, sports, etc. There doesn't seem to be a lot of MS users out there. Would you recommend returning the 902i's for the 903's? They were a really good deal and I figured that they are good speakers on their own, in case I want to move them into a room on their own some day. Im going to have a look at some Marantz amps this weekend. Thanks for the help.
I have had mine a long time now and i have to say i love them. They are great with all types of music as long as you partner them with a less 'bright-sounding amp' tehn they will thrill for years to come, i'm not getting rid of mine for a long time. Make sure that the speaker cable and interconnects that you have are copper and do not have silver in them as this will show help in showing up the bright treble which is known with the MS tweeters.
I have got a 7.1 set-up with a di-pole/bi-pole configuration with 903's as the center rears and some overkill MS506 THX speakers as left and right rears which kick butt. I used to have the 902's as rear's in place of the 903's but due to my room placement the 903's suited better so i sold em. I think if you have the type of set-up where the rears will be wall-mounted high up then the 903's will suit better, but if you have the room to stand mount the 902's at the rear then that would be quality. All the best.

TRENDING THREADS