Mordaunt speakers

Mr rocker

Dec 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi all I have been given a arcam a18 amplifier from my son. I have been offered a pair of Mordaunt Avant 906i floor standing speakers. I was wondering if anyone knows if these speakers would work ok on the arcam amplifier to listening to music. Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum!

The Arcam A18 is a 50 watt per channel amp.

The MS Avant 906i are rated to handle 15-100 watts and are more sensitive than average at 90dB. They can easily handle the amplifier and will play plenty loud enough in a normal living room.

I you live in converted church and play heavy metal, maybe they aren’t ideal! Obviously both items are getting on a bit, so if you hear any unexpected sounds switch off and investigate.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
They will be fine it should sound good tbh.
I've heard a few Acram amps and never heard a bad one, admittedly not the a18 but makers usually keep to their inherint sound only tweaking for the better or sometimes the worse.

matthewpianist

I've had numerous pairs of Mordaunt-Short speakers over the years, and all have been at least good, and most of them excellent. It's a great shame that Cambridge Audio (who now own the name) have pretty much killed it off.

They will work fine with the A18 - I've had one of those too. It's not the punchiest amp in the world, but certainly enjoyable for long listening sessions.

Mr rocker

Dec 5, 2023
Visit site
Thank you all for input very useful I have also been offered a pair of Monitor Audio M14 Floor Standing Speakers at the same price. Any idea if there would be any better then the Mordaunt Avant 906i.

Hi all I have been given a arcam a18 amplifier from my son. I have been offered a pair of Mordaunt Avant 906i floor standing speakers. I was wondering if anyone knows if these speakers would work ok on the arcam amplifier to listening to music. Thanks in advance
Yes, I heard their old flagship model Performance 6. They were using a Arcam AVR 600. One of the best sounding combo I've heard.

And yes, those old Monitor Audio are also excellent too.

I had an extended demo of the Arcam A18 -- excellent amp for what was the original retail price (£500).

Mr rocker

Dec 5, 2023
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your input on this. Another pair of speakers iv see are wharfedale diamond 220 bookshelf speakers. I noticed what hifi gave them 5 stars. Are they any better then the other speakers iv been offered. Thank you in advance

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
all will be fine, weather you like the sound will be another thing Mordaunt had a tencany to sound very lively, not a bad thing just not everyone likes "in your face sound".

it will be a lovely system!

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your input on this. Another pair of speakers iv see are wharfedale diamond 220 bookshelf speakers. I noticed what hifi gave them 5 stars. Are they any better then the other speakers iv been offered. Thank you in advance
now thats going the other way wharfdale can sound a lot warmer maybe fuller. Both are neither wrong nor right just depends on what you could live with.

mission LX 1/2 if they follow mission of old will split the difference. Around the same price as the above

If you dont mind second hand a pair of of mission 700s could be yours for 35 quid

fab speakers and will go well with arcam.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts