Monitor Audio BX6 vs RX6

wilsonp

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

My friend has recently purchased some BX6 speakers, running with Denon CD, Amp. I have to say that I was blown away by how good they were in all areas with all music.

So today ringing up my local hifi dealer I wanted to audtion the speakers, unfortunately he does not have any in stock, but he does have some RX6 on offer for £519!!! as hes clearing out everything.

Im going to listen to them, but does anyone else have any first hand experience of listening to these speakers? how do you think they compare?On specification theres no a lot of difference, although the BX6 does have the extra bass drive. Does this mean the BX6 is bigger and more controlled on the bass front? as this is what really impressed me with my friend, the BX6 delilvered a big room filling sound, whilst making it sound effortless. Im concerned that I am going to be lulled into the really cheap price of the RX6 when actually the BX6 is a better speaker now.

Im runnig with

Cyrus CD7Q

Cyrus 7 amp + PSXR supply.

Regards.

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
i'd snap up those rx6,s pretty quick they are much better speakers and even if you dont like them you will probably get more than you paid for them selling them on ebay.

Siberianu

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I have listen both on a NAD 356 as A/B speakers and decided to buy RX6. IMO, they were more dynamic, open, bigger soundstage. RX6 won in every aspect that interested me. After that audition I bought also the NAD 356 with the MDC DAC. Pay attention that both of them are a little bright.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Have never heard the RX6, but its a thunbs up for the BX6 from me, When I went to audition some new speakers , I listen to some BW684, MS avanio8 dali zensor 5, and BX6..... the BX6 worked best across the board for varied music, BIG bass, suprisingly good midrange and just the right amount of treble brightness and crispness, but I think a very bright amp would provoke them tweeters to sibilance, but not a problem with marantz PM7001,

but thats a good price for the RX6 which are are normally more expensive than th BX6,

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Not heard the B series but I have some R6's running off of a Roksan kandy power amp and they do sound nice no hint of over brightness with that amp, can you audition the RX before buying??

Tommo

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
For sound quality use RX6 for bass use BX6 its as simple as that. If you want the quality of the RX6 and bass of the BX6 get the RX8

wilsonp said:
Hello,

My friend has recently purchased some BX6 speakers, running with Denon CD, Amp. I have to say that I was blown away by how good they were in all areas with all music.

So today ringing up my local hifi dealer I wanted to audtion the speakers, unfortunately he does not have any in stock, but he does have some RX6 on offer for £519!!! as hes clearing out everything.

Im going to listen to them, but does anyone else have any first hand experience of listening to these speakers? how do you think they compare?On specification theres no a lot of difference, although the BX6 does have the extra bass drive. Does this mean the BX6 is bigger and more controlled on the bass front? as this is what really impressed me with my friend, the BX6 delilvered a big room filling sound, whilst making it sound effortless. Im concerned that I am going to be lulled into the really cheap price of the RX6 when actually the BX6 is a better speaker now.

Im runnig with

Cyrus CD7Q

Cyrus 7 amp + PSXR supply.

Regards.

Cyrus and Monitor Audio Silver range is a definite no no for me. By all means audition but earlier Cyruses have the same tonal quality as MAs. Bright + bright + bright = shrillness.

The amps for MA silvers are Arcam, Creek, Roksan Kandy, Marantz mid-range models (Pearl lite, 8003). If you like the Cyrus I'd be looking more at PMC 'i' models, Epos, Wharfedale...

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
The rx6 will give you better sound quality across the board whereas the bx6 will be less refined but will bring greater scale and bass weight. I would hold out for a demo of the bx6 as they might suit your tastes better?

I agree with pp, although I can't comment on cyrus gear I can say the RX range have a pronounced treble that can get out of hand with the wrong partnering equipment. Sound superb with arcam and roksan from my demo experience.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Ben K. said:
The rx6 will give you better sound quality across the board whereas the bx6 will be less refined but will bring greater scale and bass weight. I

From my brief audition, the RX5s are by no means bass shy. There's plenty there. Possibly too much if you have a smaller room.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Following a lengthy audition of rx6 and rx8 I found the 6 to be lacking in the bass department both in weight and detail compared to the 8.

Everybody has different tastes though and so the rx6 may be plenty enough although I would still say that the bx6 would be deeper with greater scale.

wilsonp

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Well first demo done today, interesting results.

The BX6 was as expected very good in the bass department and producing a really good room filling sound. However when listening to Jay z / Linkin Park track, I was forced to turn it down as the treble was too shrill. As commented on earlier by others on the Cyrus - MA combo issue.

next up

Tannoy Precision 6.1 -

Epic vocal control, but funnily enough just too good as it distracted away from the rest of the music, which was struggling to match the top end.

Lastly

Dali Ikon 6 mk2

AWESOME, they had the big sound of the BX6 but a really smooth and controlled treble, I was immediately impressed with them. Clearly they partner the brighter Cyrus equipment extremely well.

Next Demo Friday, but im going to have to be blown away to pass up these Dalis.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
This shows the importance of listening for yourself and also with your own equipment. I believe synergy of components is the most important factor, great amps and great speakers paired badly can sound bad and give people a negative view of the individual components.

Let us know how your final demo goes and what you end up buying.

wilsonp said:
Well first demo done today, interesting results.

The BX6 was as expected very good in the bass department and producing a really good room filling sound. However when listening to Jay z / Linkin Park track, I was forced to turn it down as the treble was too shrill. As commented on earlier by others on the Cyrus - MA combo issue.

next up

Tannoy Precision 6.1 -

Epic vocal control, but funnily enough just too good as it distracted away from the rest of the music, which was struggling to match the top end.

Lastly

Dali Ikon 6 mk2

AWESOME, they had the big sound of the BX6 but a really smooth and controlled treble, I was immediately impressed with them. Clearly they partner the brighter Cyrus equipment extremely well.

Next Demo Friday, but im going to have to be blown away to pass up these Dalis.

Echo Ben's sentiments.

Also bear in mind that some set-ups can have what I call "instant impact". Put simply, they sound great initially but if you listen to hours of music it can become fatiguing or sound less than pleasant over longer periods.

BTW, pleased you enjoyed your initial dem.

wilsonp

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Well we finally have a decision.

I undertook a 2nd listening test for:-

Keff Q900

Monitor Audio RS6

Monitor Audio RS8

The Keff''s are an attractive speaker, and delivered a beautiful clean clear sound, but again it didnt deliver a 'Big' sound that I like with a bit more bass to it.

Monitor Audio RS6 - Very disappointing in that it was no where near as good as the BX6 in performance for me.

Monitor Audio RS8 - A bigger sound with the extra bass weight, but lost it in the mid range.

So it was an easy victory for the Dali Ikon 6, and I would place the Monitor Audio BX6 in 2nd place.

I also managed to barter a very good price at Richer Sounds for the Dali £775. So I am really happy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts