Monitor Audio Radius 270

barcpc

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Hi there!!!!

I have a Cambridge CXA-61 with a CXN-V2 and I'm still looking for the speakers. I would like to have a floor standing and most of the time I hear with a low volume, so the ones I chose must be very good at low to medium levels.
I've been offered the Monitor Audio radius 270 but didn't find much information / reviews.

Does anybody have them or use them regularly, can you share your experience? You are also welcome to share other speakers you are pleased with,

Thanks,

Gray

You might be interested to know that the August issue of Hi-fi Choice has a group test of floorstanders under £1000.
As with many mags, it's not cheap, but could help you to spend wisely (together with the essential listening for yourself of course).

Reactions: barcpc
Hi there!!!!

I have a Cambridge CXA-61 with a CXN-V2 and I'm still looking for the speakers. I would like to have a floor standing and most of the time I hear with a low volume, so the ones I chose must be very good at low to medium levels.
I've been offered the Monitor Audio radius 270 but didn't find much information / reviews.

Does anybody have them or use them regularly, can you share your experience? You are also welcome to share other speakers you are pleased with,

Thanks,
I've owned Monitor Audio 250HD speakers in my home cinema setup in my previous house and they were excellent. Clean and effortless.

Reactions: barcpc

manicm

Hi there!!!!

Thanks,

You'll need a subwoofer for the 270.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Hi there

Owned them for a while about 10 years back. And if your primary goal is to listen to music I’d stay well clear. Effortless is not a word I’d use to describe there sound! They have a clean but anaemic presentation on there own, you will need a subwoofer! And subwoofer that can handle mid range well as well as bass, they having nothing in the way of mids.

Also they are not ideal if you have thick carpets and underlay. They are not heavy enough and they precariously balance on the surface of the carpet.

Speaking very honestly they where the worst speakers I owned. And not just because of there sound, a great number of things annoyed me about them.

Personally I wouldn’t touch them. There is better to be had for fair cheaper

If you want a skinny great sounding floorstander look out for a kef iq5 and or the Se edition. Or a mission 773e a pair on the bigE now for 130quid. (Not to sure if your in the uk or not)

anyhow have a lovely rest of the weekend!

Not had the experience of any of the RADIUS range, but from I've read they are better suited to multi-channel set-ups.

From personal experience the newer Bronze or Silver ranges might well be better suited.

That said, not sure how well Monitor Audio synergies with modern Cambridge stuff. Older models of both didn't cut it for me.

NewHi-FiGuy

Dec 7, 2022
Visit site
Still new to the HiFi game, and this is my first system.

I watched cheapaudioman and bought a pair of Sony SSCS5’s but quickly moved to a pair of monitor Audio Radius 270 I found on FB marketplace. Bought them without hearing them or anything. Compared to the sony‘s, they had no bass whatsoever and sound staging was much less impressive. The first 5 minutes I had buyers remorse and wanted to return them… I found them used for 400$ CAD, not to mention one of the mid-bass was blown…

However, after 20 mins in, it became clear to me these were quality speakers, in fact, they started sounding outstanding to my ears, I heard new details in songs I heard hundreds of times which gave me the motivation to try and make them work.

I love the form factor and there’s enough volume (downtown condo in Montreal). The look of them with the gold tweeters and no grill is great. I sanded them down and gave them a custom finish with some Mineral oil To make them look 2022 Rather than 2004.

I paired them with 2 monoprice 8 inch subs ( approx 100$ each) running through a Yamaha R202 Amp and the difference is night and day. They sound outstanding with the stereo subs and sound staging is great. You can tell exactly where the musicians are standing when listening to Green Street. When I tested only 1 sub, It was hard for me to see where the musicians were standing.

Once again, It’s my first setup so I might just be excited, but I don’t think I‘ve heard anything so clear and with the stereo subs, so precise. Makes me want to get B&W ‘s with a McIntosh Amp, which seem to be the pumpkin spice latte’s of hi-fi… Cheers!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 6

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts