Monitor Audio BX2 worth it?

technic123

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I currently have MS Aviano 1 speakers which i do like the sound of...however....i feel there is a lack of bass in the sound

it might be down to my technics amplifier but im not sure

i am considering the MA BX2s as they seem to get good reviews and have bigger drivers. A couple of other things i would like to find out, do the BX2s have wall mount sockets in rear or do you have to clamp them with side clamping brackets?

also is it worth me getting a better amp?

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Depends on lots of things including room size, listening position and location of the speakers plus whether they are on stands or not. If you like the sound why not try the next size up Aviano 2? Try moving the speakers on stands a little closer to the wall. This should help increase the bass a bit.

If altering room placement/listening postition doesn't help, there are plenty of great budget loudspeakers to pick from. Can you demo a few after shortlisting? Apart from your amp which should be fine (but I don't know the model or specs) don't forget a good quality source is important as well.

If you read the BX manual it tells you about mounting etc Its not as easy as with some speakers such as Dali Lektor or Zenzor 1 (just have a mounting screw hole on the back and takes a few mins).

gasolin

You need atleast something with a 8" woofer i have the Boston A26 and the bass from the 6½ " is okay but might not be power full enought for what you want.

A subwoofer might be able to do the trick, buy a used one with atleast 8" or 10" with min 150watt

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi. I can recommend the Monitor audios. they are a great sounding speaker i have the BR5... Dont worry about size of the drivers...this is not a true indication of sound or bass.. Modern small speakers use technology to get around the size issue like ports and cabinet dynamics as well as driver materials...

If you are happy with your amp why change it?

If u can try not to wall mount your speakers they perform better on stands if your room will allow.

If and when you change your amp i can from experience recoomend for good timing and bass either a NAD or ROTEL amp will work well with monitor audio speakers

Hope this helps

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
If your budget is low try EBAY for a second hand amp. you can pick up a NAD C352 for around £150 This a a powerfull amp and will drive almost any speakers and is very good with bass. NAD amps tend to be bass heavy. but not so much that it drowns the reast of the music

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The BX2's have a mounting bolt on the back, simple to undue with the supplied allen key. I think it is an M6 thread and the head of the bolt is about 16mm in diameter. So your wall brackets will need a mounting plate that fits flush to the back of the speaker, then just insert the bolt and tighten.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The BX2 are very good speakers for the money. Buildquality is really good also.

But I would also try ;

Dali Zensor 3 and/or Boston Acoustics A26.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
What about Acoustic Energy 101's , these are new kids on the block in the budget bookshelfs, not heard them but the reviews are good, if they are anything like other AE's they will execellent, I am looking into some of these to partner with a Marantz 610,

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
That isn't a mounting bolt. It is the bolt for the bass/mid driver. Do NOT undo this bolt or try to use it as a wall mounting bolt.

indeed, well spotted

I had a pair of BX6 and there were 3 of these allen bolts down the back, wondered what they were for originaly

matthewpiano

The BX2s are good speakers but I wouldn't say they are going to give you a lot more bass than the Aviano 1s. It isn't really what the BX2s are about. They are also quite sensitive to partnering equipment. Marantz is generally a good match.

As for Mordaunt-Short I believe the brand is being rested while AP concentrate on the Cambridge Audio speakers. Perhaps you should consider auditioning the CA Aero 2s, which are currently on offer at £249 which is £100 off RRP.

technic123

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
well im not looking for room shaking bass like you may get from a rock concert, i just want a bassline that delivers more tightly and crisp than my curreent speakers. Im looking to get a Marantz MCR610 to power the new speakers

ive come up with a bit of a shortlist:

Aviano 2's

MA BX2s

CA aero 2

Dali Zensor 3

Any suggestions?

technic123

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
well im not looking for room shaking bass like you may get from a rock concert, i just want a bassline that delivers more tightly and crisp than my curreent speakers. Im looking to get a Marantz MCR610 to power the new speakers

ive come up with a bit of a shortlist:

Aviano 2's

MA BX2s

CA aero 2

Dali Zensor 3

Any suggestions?

Timpd

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
You can pick up end of the line MA RX 1 for £250 from £400+ . I run them off a Marantz 6004 but heard them with a Unitilite and was very impressed with their range.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
knaithrover said:
peterpiper said:
knaithrover said:
Marantz M-CR and BX2's is a very very good match - Boston Acoustics sound great too

boston and marantz are the same company now, should be a good match

So what new bookshelfs are you pairing with your Marantz?

not sure yet, its going to be a week before I can listen to some with a marantz 610, the AE101 will be on my list for sure, and dali Z3,not a fan MA

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
peterpiper said:
knaithrover said:
peterpiper said:
knaithrover said:
Marantz M-CR and BX2's is a very very good match - Boston Acoustics sound great too

not sure yet, its going to be a week before I can listen to some with a marantz 610, the AE101 will be on my list for sure, and dali Z3,not a fan MA

Must admit when i upgrade it will be Dali Zensor 3's i go for

matthewpiano

knaithrover said:
peterpiper said:
knaithrover said:
peterpiper said:
knaithrover said:

They really are rather good. Often wish I still had mine.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
knaithrover said:
peterpiper said:
knaithrover said:
peterpiper said:
knaithrover said:

They really are rather good. Often wish I still had mine.

Are your current speakers better then?

matthewpiano

My 'current' speakers is a bit of a movable feast at present as I'm alternating between the Diamond 9.1s and the Dynaudio DM2/6 according to mood/music. My current feeling is that neither is such a good all-rounder as the Zensor 3.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
My 'current' speakers is a bit of a movable feast at present as I'm alternating between the Diamond 9.1s and the Dynaudio DM2/6 according to mood/music. My current feeling is that neither is such a good all-rounder as the Zensor 3.

have you sold them ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts