Monitor Audio Bronze BX5 for Yamaha RX-V667 amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Yamaha RX-V667 AV receiver and am looking to replace my fronts which are currently bi-amped. I've been told that Monitor Audio Bronze BX5 would be a good match but the review in What Hifi says that they wont thank me for backing them against a rear wall. I can only really get away with placing the fronts no more than a few inches from the rear wall. Is this going to be a real problem with these speakers?

I've also read the review of the Tannoy Revolution RC6T floorstanders which states "They even work close to a wall". Would these be a better bet? How would they match with the Yamaha and how do they compare sonically. Spending the extra money isn't a problem if it's worthwhile.

I'm completely open to other suggestions - doesn't even have to be floorstanders. Am also considering a separate hi-fi amp to run the fronts - maybe the Marantz PM6004.

Thanks in advance for the help

Rich.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
May wanna look at the KEF Q500's or 300's too.

KEF Q500's are floorstanding, but a sealed box, whereas the KEF Q300's are ported but the port is locted on the front.....

Both would work well with a yamaha amp (and Marantz)....

A

Anonymous

Thanks. I've taken a look at the review for the Q300s but this too states that they shouldn't be placed near a rear wall. Are you suggesting that this won't actually be a problem or will I be better off with the Tannoys?

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The Monitor Audio BX5 is a great choice. They need to be away at least 30cm from the rear wall I think.

IMO much better than the Kef Q300/Q500........don't like the way they sound.

A

Anonymous

In that case, the BX5s are out. About 5cm from the wall is really the furthest they can be. How about the Tannoy DC6Ts?

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
5cm ? I wouldn't buy floorstanders.

Suggestions ?

- wharfedale diamond 10.1 (heard these recently.......superb for the money)

- monitor audio BX2

- q acoustics 2020i

- dali zensor 1

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
If the speakers are to be positioned so close to a wall, I would look for a speaker that has either a closed box or a reflex port on the front.

Just a remark about those Kef Q500. They may be a "closed box" design, they do come with two passive bass radiators. I've auditioned them with my amp, and I didn't like them at all. The bass was completely overblown and uncontrolled.

I would opt for the Q300 if you want Kef speakers.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Cypher said:
5cm ? I wouldn't buy floorstanders.

Suggestions ?

- wharfedale diamond 10.1 (heard these recently.......superb for the money)

- monitor audio BX2

- q acoustics 2020i

- dali zensor 1

The Wharfedale 10.1 need to be about 30cm away from the rear wall because of the rear reflex ports (I have them in my living room and even stuffed port bungs in them, at 30cm from the rear wall)

MA BX2 would be a great choise. Haven't heard them that close to a wall though.

A

Anonymous

So, am I severely limiting any system performance by having the speakers so close to the wall? The stand mounters mentioned are all sub-£200 so although much healthier on the wallet am I going to be compromising on sound quality?

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Yes you are.

Most speakers these days have their bass reflex port on the rear for a cleaner look.
There are other speakers out there, but you need to do some research.

Another option would be the Monitor Audio Apex speakers. They're front ported and sound wonderful. But you'll need a sub to get the whole frequency range.

A

Anonymous

Back to one of my initial options, the Tannoy DC6Ts..... Does the What HiFi review use a bit of artistic license then when it says "They even work close to a wall"? Or, could these possibly be the speakers that would work for me that you suggest some research might find?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts