Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs (MFSL) remasters

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hey,

I've recently bought more of these remasters on CD. Here's my thoughts on 'em:

Sting -'Nothing Like The Sun'.

What they've done here is subtle, but great. They've de-80's it, by taking much of the reverb of the drums and tightened them up. Those drums, in their original form did ruin certain tracks. Not any more.

Tears For Fears - 'Songs From The Big Chair'.

This is a great job. Low level detail is more easily detected and the whole album has an airy feel to it.

U2 - 'The Joshua Tree'.

Now, this is a masterpiece of work, up there with their versions of 'Angel Dust' and 'In Utero'. I couldn't listen to this album on CD before, cos it was so terribly recorded. This sounds like a different record. Everything has been cleaned up and is given it's own space in the soundstage, whereas before it was a muddy mess. The drums have real impact and snap.

I've got more of the remasters to listen to: (U2 Unforgettable Fire and War, Sting - Dream Of Blue Turtles, Nirvana - Nevermind, Pixies - Doolittle, Steve Winwood - Talking Back To The Night, Marvin Gaye - Let's get it on and What's going on, Natalie Marchant - TigerLilly, Guns n Roses - Use your illusion 1 & 2, Lies and Appetite For Destruction.

I'll update as I listen to 'em.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
You bought them on CD
emotion-3.gif
Why not the sublime heavyweight vinyl versions?

My favourite 'MoFi' remaster to date is Frank Sinatra - Only the Lonely. The standout track - One for My Baby - gives me goosebumps every time.

In a very different vein, the remaster of Little Richard's Here Comes Little Richard is also good - pared right back to raw rock and roll
emotion-2.gif

But they're both vinyl - can't comment on the CDs!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
The Vinyl versions would be the ultimate, but the ones I bought on CD are out of print (on both CD and Vinyl) and are very thin on the ground. If you can find a 'Nevermind', for example, on vinyl, you'd be lucky to get it for £200. Too rich for my blood.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I'd like the Queen ones, but they're out of print and command a premium.

I think the 'Angel Dust' one is great. Much better than Megadeth's 'Countdown To Extinction', which had I known how minor the improvement over the regular CD would be, I'd have saved my money.
emotion-40.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:
I'd like the Queen ones, but they're out of print and command a premium.

I think the 'Angel Dust' one is great. Much better than Megadeth's 'Countdown To Extinction', which had I known how minor the improvement over the regular CD would be, I'd have saved my money.
emotion-40.gif

Oh, Angel Dust remaster is amazing!

As good as MFSL are, they sometimes have dropped the ball. 'Countdown...' as you say isn't up to par. 'August and everything after', by the Counting Crows, is another one that showed no real improvement over the original.

The majority that I have listened to so far, though, have been superb.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts