Mission 782 vs Spendor SA1 speakers

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I have some Mission 782 speakers that I've had for a few years.

I've kept them as spares and only gave them a brief listen about 2 years ago.

The mid cones stopped working so I replaced them but then hardly used them.

Thompsonuxb suggested in the 'Review your amp...' thread that I should give them an airing, something I have been planning on doing for a while.

I've misplaced all the ancillary parts such as floor spikes and jumper bars, so they are straight on the carpet and I'm using jumpers made with speaker cable.

Giving them a listen now.

They are quite impressive.

The issues I used to have with them was harsh mids & highs and wayward bass using either a Denon AVR-3801 or Cyrus aCA7.5 with 2 SmartPower's.

They are supposed to used with 50w to 200W amplification but the Quad 303 at 45W seems to be coping without getting warm. The issues so far seem to have gone. Even the bass seems OK without the spikes probably as the Quad 303 is slightly bass light.

Now I need to decide whether to keep my Spendor SA1's or Mission 782's!

I don't mind keeping the 782's as spares but the SA1's are a lot of money just sitting there if I prefer the 782's overall!

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi Rick.

Your advise has always been appreciated.

I'm going to leave the 782's on for a few weeks to see if I like them long term and then switch back to the SA1's for a bit just to make sure – I haven't seen any SA1's for what I paid for mine so want to make sure I don't regret selling them if that's what I decide as I might not be able to replace them.

Anyone have suggestions on what spikes I could use on the speakers as I've misplaced mine? IAG no longer do those parts for them (still do the drive units).

FennerMachine said:
Hi Rick.

Your advise has always been appreciated.

I'm going to leave the 782's on for a few weeks to see if I like them long term and then switch back to the SA1's for a bit just to make sure – I haven't seen any SA1's for what I paid for mine so want to make sure I don't regret selling them if that's what I decide as I might not be able to replace them.

Anyone have suggestions on what spikes I could use on the speakers as I've misplaced mine? IAG no longer do those parts for them (still do the drive units).

Hi FennerMachine

Thanks and your welcome.

As Overdose has already mentioned 782's use 6mm spikes. These should be relatively easy to source.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Question about the Quad 303 power amp.

As I plan on keeping it, do you think its worth getting it serviced now or wait until it has signs of needing it? It is currently working fine as far as I can tell. The speakers are silent unless music it playing. No pops or crackles. The amp makes a noise like a power sub station hum when close to it but was told that the transformer will make some noise. Can't hear it over 1 foot away.

I've seen some 6mm spike sets on eBay. Might they do?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO You shouldn't be too quick to get shot of the SA1s........longer term they could fit better into the system you might have in 2 to 4 years time.

It's very easy to forget just how good a part of your system is, by taking it for granted.....until that is, you sell it. You need to hear both sets of speakers with a really good amp (eg. Leema Tucana or Sugden IA-4) to see what the potential is, thus allowing you to keep the most future proof ones.

Cno

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks CnoEvil.

Good advise.

I think I'm set on keeping the Quad amps for life but I suppose anything can happen so I need to keep my options open. I'm leaving the Missions on for a few weeks then swapping back to the Spendors for a few weeks to see what I prefer overall. The thing with the Missions is that I have the matching 78C centre that also has new mid/bass cones and 78DS rears. Having said that I rarely (once or twice per month) use my surround system and I'm not too fussed about the tonal matching of the front 3 speakers. Or maybe that's why I don't bother much with movies any more? Maybe I should consider getting a Spendor centre speaker?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I will make you a small bet.....you won't have both Quads (or possibly the SA1s) in your main system in 3 years time.....either there will be a fault that's not worth fixing, or something else catches your eye, that you can't live without! ;)

In the long term, I think you are in fact a prime candidate for a Valve or Hybred amp. >)

CnoEvil said:
I will make you a small bet.....you won't have both Quads (or possibly the SA1s) in your main system in 3 years time.....either there will be a fault that's not worth fixing, or something else catches your eye, that you can't live without! ;) In the long term, I think you are in fact a prime candidate for a Valve or Hybred amp. >)

Hi CnE

He might have upgarded to a pair of Mission 782SE's :)

Btw, i think you're a prime candidate for a pair active speakers and a GEQ :twisted:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Btw, i think you're a prime candidate for a pair active speakers and a GEQ :twisted:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Yup, and I'm also thinking of taking up Taxidermy and Trout tickling! :grin:

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil, you may be right!

The Quad 44 is DEFINITELY staying though!

It has all the inputs I need and made the biggest difference to my system with all the changes I've made. Also had it serviced recently so I know it will last ages.

The Quad 303 has many plus points over the Cyrus SmartPowers that it replaced but it does lack a little in the bass department. I'm thinking of getting this serviced too.

I've always have problems with bass though with every combination of speakers and amps that I have tried. It must be a room issue, likely something to do with being upstairs and the flooring. I will always have to compromise with bass anyway as even if I get it just right for my room it will be too loud/boomy downstairs so being a little bass light is better for me for now.

Valve power amps would be nice but the days of spending lots of money on Hi-Fi are now past for me, I will be looking at vintage kit that can be serviced if needed.

I haven't had a long enough listen to the 782's but so far they sound good. They have a good sound stage and more bass than the SA1's. They have realistic sounding instruments and vocals but they are missing something that the SA1's do. Can't quite work out what it is but there is something...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
They have a good sound stage and more bass than the SA1's. They have realistic sounding instruments and vocals but they are missing something that the SA1's do. Can't quite work out what it is but there is something...

This I agree with, and why I liked them so much.....there is a "rightness" to the sound that's just infectious.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
good call... :clap:

Not really sure what the difference in sound will be to the se's but if you had the mid cone changed chances are we have the same mid cone. And these speakers are good, clean sounding and able to pick up differences in cables & interconnects and can expose an amps short comings, also at the right distance apart with bass drivers facing in sound solid and in my room sound bigger than they are.

I work for a well known millionare installing tv, internet and phone services in peoples homes and have had the chance to hear others set up, even a pair of ATC active speakers (the ones that have scaffold for stands and an amp for each driver bolted to the back of them ) and none have ever made me question the quality (soundwise) of these speakers.

Never heard the Spendors - not sure how a standmounter would compare, but please come back and let us know what you decide.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
to add

I have mine on a some MDF (carpeted floor), with jenga blocks under the front spikes so they are leaning back (I hear PMC are using the same idea with their latest boxes - they must have read me somewhere...... :grin: )

discribe the spendor sound please.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
The SA1's:

Detailed but not harsh. Spendor are generally regarded as warm sounding. SA1's have a bit more 'sparkle' than other Spendor speakers I have demoed such as A3 & A6 floor standers and S3/5R2 bookshelf but still have the Spendor sound.

Lack in overall bass depth but are tuneful with the bass they do generate.

They have seamless driver integration, likely due in part to the 4.8KHz crossover point.

The 4.8KHz crossover also makes vocals very clear and rich as the bass driver covers most of the voice range.

With the right amplification and source they reproduce lots of detail and nuances that other speakers I've heard cannot do.

Very clear sound even with complex music so the detail they produce it not muddled but everything is separated nicely.

On a quick listen they sound 'OK' but on longer sessions they draw you into the music and they do not become fatiguing. With the wrong amplification they can still sound good but will show up weaknesses of amps and sources so could be harsh sounding but that’s probably the case with all speaker/amp combo's to a certain extent.

I have played computer games through them and they produce sound in a way that makes games with good sound tracks that I've played many times before enjoyable again.

Due to the lack of bass they really need a sub for movies.

I think that covers most of the points of how they sound.

Worth demoing if someone needs small bookshelf speakers and has a large budget.

I would not recommend them for large rooms unless someone specifically wanted small speakers.

As they do cost a fair bit I would definitely recommend a demo before buying, preferably a home demo if the initial demo makes them a contender.

FennerMachine said:
The SA1's:

Detailed but not harsh. Spendor are generally regarded as warm sounding. SA1's have a bit more 'sparkle' than other Spendor speakers I have demoed such as A3 & A6 floor standers and S3/5R2 bookshelf but still have the Spendor sound.

Lack in overall bass depth but are tuneful with the bass they do generate.

They have seamless driver integration, likely due in part to the 4.8KHz crossover point.

The 4.8KHz crossover also makes vocals very clear and rich as the bass driver covers most of the voice range.

With the right amplification and source they reproduce lots of detail and nuances that other speakers I've heard cannot do.

Very clear sound even with complex music so the detail they produce it not muddled but everything is separated nicely.

On a quick listen they sound 'OK' but on longer sessions they draw you into the music and they do not become fatiguing. With the wrong amplification they can still sound good but will show up weaknesses of amps and sources so could be harsh sounding but that’s probably the case with all speaker/amp combo's to a certain extent.

I have played computer games through them and they produce sound in a way that makes games with good sound tracks that I've played many times before enjoyable again.

Due to the lack of bass they really need a sub for movies.

I think that covers most of the points of how they sound.

Worth demoing if someone needs small bookshelf speakers and has a large budget.

I would not recommend them for large rooms unless someone specifically wanted small speakers.

As they do cost a fair bit I would definitely recommend a demo before buying, preferably a home demo if the initial demo makes them a contender.

This is the one thing I couldn't get my 'grey matter' around. In many respects the SA-1s are fabulous, but compared to bigger boxes they do sound flimsey.

Cno mentioned long-term, so the ideal solution: Totem Arros. They have the grunt of the big boys and detail and speed of standmounts - notwithstanding the huge soundstage.

Downsides? don't wave a newspaper within ten feet of them.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
This is the one thing I couldn't get my 'grey matter' around. In many respects the SA-1s are fabulous, but compared to bigger boxes they do sound flimsey.

Getting them to sound punchy is dependant on having a small room and decent amplification. When I tried them in a big room, Mrs Cno described them as sounding no better than a good portable.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

Getting them to sound punchy is dependant on having a small room and decent amplification. When I tried them in a big room, Mrs Cno described them as sounding no better than a good portable.

TBH I've only heard the SA-1s in a showroom, but because I'm so used to floorstanders it came as real shock. Beautiful speakers but no way would I get a sub past Mrs. P. Her policy has always been "No more boxes". Doesn't mind changing existing ones, but adding extra boxes would drive her to munch countless cakes and biscuits.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
With the various combinations of amps I've used I have had the SA1's generating quite a lot of bass but it was wayward and boomy. I had them with snappy fast bass but the quantity was just absent. There must be an in-between but how many amps/speaker positions must I go through?

Hi-Fi is a hobby so time needs to be spent to get it right but in the end I want to enjoy my music.

I think it's time for me to settle down with a combination of what I have for a while and enjoy the music. Problem is I need to decide!

The Quad 44 is a keeper.

The Quad 303: I think I will have it serviced and keep for at least a year, maybe longer depending on what it sounds like when I get it back.

CD player: no one responded to my thread about Quad 66 CD player. Probably a good thing as the Cyrus CD7Q with PSX-R is supposed to be one of the best CD players Cyrus ever made so while its working and doing a good job why change it?

Speakers: not decided yet but leaning towards the Mission 782's. The reason is that they add more than they lose to the SA1's. The SA1's are great speakers but I am missing the bass. My last speakers where stand mounters but larger so had more bass weight. I missed the bass a little with them and the SA1's give up more bass.

I have still not decided and will give the SA1's a good chance over the cause of a few weeks as I am doing with the 782's.

What power amps would you recommend to get the best from the SA1's?

Must be second hand, preferably vintage as I do not want to spend hundreds. I don't mind spending money on servicing which is why I like Quads (also they sound good!).

Amps I have tried: Cyrus Smart Power in mono mode & Quad 303.

Cyrus had more bass but where a little harsh in comparison to the 303 which seems to bring more detail.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
What power amps would you recommend to get the best from the SA1's?

What about something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Musical-Fidelity-F16-Power-Amplifier-/110946818533?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item19d4f219e5#ht_1123wt_1271

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
That might do the job...

Depending on how much it goes up to I may well take a chance.

Class A to AB switchable. :bounce:

I know you've set your heart on the Quad pre....but you should also keep an eye on the matching MF pre! >)

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Although the MF 16 looks really good both in aesthetics and on paper it looks as though its going to go for quit a high price. Probably worth it but I'm not prepared to spend that right now.

C'est la vie!

I'm sending the Quad 303 for a service tomorrow. They have a 28 day turn around. That will put my final decision on speakers back a few weeks! Not going to think about it too much now as I know I have at least 4 weeks before I can begin testing again. I have decided to sell my Cyrus aCA7.5 though. Better do it soon at it was factory serviced about 18 months ago.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts