Mini hifi budget £500

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My parents want to buy a new hifi for their kitchen. They are happy to spend up to £500. They do not want separates because they want something smaller. It needs to have a built in radio.

They listen to Pop, Classical and Radios 2, 3 and 4. They would want to connect my mum's ipod nano to it aswel as listen to cds.

From looking at what hifi reviews the obvious choice is the Denon D-M37DAB. Is this the best option? If so should they buy it with speakers or get different speakers.

Any other options would be greatly appreciated.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Denon D-M37 certainly sounds ideal - but just buy the system unit (currently £150 in silver from Empire Direct; £199 in black from Richer Sounds) and add some upgrade speakers: Tannoy's Mercury F1 Custom speakers can be had for under £100 if you shop around, or you could even go up to the level of Dali's Lektor 1 or Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 (both @£200).

Denon does a matching iPod dock for the D-M37, the ASD-11R - and i'd strongly suggest putting some of the remaining budget towards upgrade speaker cable (either Chord Carnival Silverscreen or QED Silver Annivsersary XT, both at £5.50/m would suit) and an isolation shelf to sit the system on, if they just intend to put it on a kitchen worksurface.

A

Anonymous

Wow thanks Claire, it is great to get a reply from the Editor of the magazine.

Thanks also Joel but I think that they will want to keep the budget at £500 max.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts