Mini disc player as DAC ?

billybodger

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
I have been looking at some posts on using a minidisc player as a cheep DAC. As someone on a budget and as you can get these for next to nothing this may be helpful to me. Question is how do I connect it to my laptop?. Buy just the headphone socket as do now or via a USB? Most of them seem to have optical inputs but how can I connect that ? Any ideas if this is even a good ideas?

Jobb

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Hello billybodger,

I've been using an minidisc-deck ( Pioneer MJ-D508 ) as a dac for years, with very good results. This particular deck was designed to be used as such, without the need to switch to a recording mode.

You will need to connect your laptop to the deck digitally, either optical or coaxial, as i don't think there are any decks with a usb socket. Using the headphone socket of the laptop defeats the purpose of the dac, unless it doubles as an optical out.

Try it, you may like it.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
If you were using your laptop's headphone out then you already have an analog signal so wouldn't need a DAC.

Although the minidisc player will likely give you better sound than your laptop's analog out you don't need to get a minidisc player. There are loads of DACs or external soundcards for under £20 on ebay that will do the job just fine.

Right click the speaker icon on your screen (bottom right on the taskbar) and check your 'playback devices' to see if there's a 'digital output' option. If there is then your laptop has an optical out which you can connect to a DAC. If you haven't got this then you'll want an external sound card instead.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If you don't have a use for a MiniDisc player, I really don't see the point in buying one to use as a DAC. Unless your computer has an optical output it's unlikely you could digitally connect the two anyway. If I were you I'd spend your money on a USB DAC for your compuer.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Whether it is the most practical idea I don't know.

it is however a good idea to get a budget dac as they sell so cheap, I know of a few people who have tried this to good effect.

you might be better off with the little Fiio dac though, size of a match box.

TRENDING THREADS