Metallica - St Anger

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I'm late to the party on this album, as i'm listening to it today for the first time.

Although it has some almost redeeming features, in general, what a mess.

I'll start with the good points:

Hetfield's vocals are clearly recorded and have a steadfast placement in the centre of the soundstage.

Lar's copper snare that he plays during the quiet passages of 'St Anger' sound great.

That's it for the good stuff. What is going on with the production on this album? You have Hetfield clear as a bell up front, but behind him the rest of the band are a muffled blanket of sound. There's no consistency here. There's little snippets within songs, where the SQ will pick up, for example, the toms on 'Some kind of monster' will sound clear for 30 seconds, but then they go back to muffled rubbish.

It's confusing, because they know how to make a great sounding record ('Black').

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK:St Anger is a mess. Im not a massive fan of 'Black' either though as I feel its over produced (Not natural sounding)

'Black' could be accused of being over-produced, validly, depending on your taste, but it had clarity and seperation. And good songs, unlike St pooper.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I'd take '....Justice' over the others any day. Just a shame they dialled all the bass out.

St Anger is truly dire on all counts. Death Magnetic is a big improvement, but they're still a shadow of their former selves.

Lars Ulrich (along with Roger Taylor) is why I started drumming 23 years ago.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts