Meridian DSP Speakers

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm seriously considering upgrading my hi-fi and getting a pair of either DSP5200 or 5500 (both 2nd hand). I've aspired to a Sooloos system since seeing one a while back but something like that is seriously out of reach. Now a good used pair of either of the above speakers is in reach. Although a full Sooloos is not.

What I want to know is how it might go with my current sources as a temporary(ish) measure, until a Sooloos controller is a reality. I have a Roksan Kandy K2 CDP which if I'm right would just connect via digital coaxial into one of the SPDIF sockets on the speakers. Don't laugh but I've also got a QED uPlay bluetooth receiver I'd like to use, when using my Ipad I can pretend its a Sooloos lthough it doesn't sound like one. I think I'm right in that I can connect the 2 RCAs into an ADC, and then digital into the speakers.

Info on internet is quite sparse and the Meridian website is not the most comprehensive I've seen. It looks like there are only two input so I'm guessing if I want more in the future I might have to get the Meridian pre-amp.

This is far from a done deal, but I've always yearned for a Meridian active system, and its an itch that won't go away since I heard it.

Can anybody discourage me, Home demo-ing is not an option as I would be buying used and the 5500s are over 80kg each.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I can only encourage you! The 55's and the 52's are superb but very different.

There are new Sooloos products on the market that dont require a huge investment but you will need to check if the 52's have Speaker link to take advantage of the control aspect. The MC200 is the easiest / cheapest way to Sooloos. Failing that you can look at a Control 15 that has Meridian Comms to allow you to easily control the speakers.

You can add in a digital input and control normally. I would strongly urge you to use your local dealer.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your response. It is a pretty big investment so think I need to take a step back for a bit esp. as my nearest and dearest are not very keen. "More on a pair f speakers than a good 2nd hand car"

I've tracked down nearest Meridian dealer and the are 1 - 1.5 hours away (depending on traffic). Demos are by appontment only and as I'm definitely not buying new, might prove hard to get. But think I'll phone them and talk my ideas over.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts