Marantz slimline home cinema amp £289

A

Anonymous

Brought mine home from store yesterday, now i just need to get some speakers, how long you had it Crossie and what speakers you running on it. Having read the manuel with it i expect ill be posting some questions about it when i get some speakers!

A

Anonymous

check out these eremis ,,

no sub , and the rears are silver , but great value for money , maybe worth considering ? a decent sub could be got for around £250..

A

Anonymous

Would love them, but due to the missus have to go for as small as poss, and looking to spend no more than about £300- £350 Got a thread runnig in home cinema section , called "anyone got these"

A

Anonymous

My priority when purchasing mine was the space issue, however the manual recommends plenty of clearance above the unit which does defeat the object somewhat. I'm more than happy with the performance though. The lack of an OSD is a little annoying when configuring it (it doesn't pass through on HDMI) and I've not got to grips with the remote but at this price it is a steal.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Had mine about 6 months and I am still very pleased. Speaker package Kef 2005.3 sounds great. Make sure you run an earth cable to the chassis of the Marantz as this can cause humming problems with the sub woofer if you don't.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I am really liking the set up and performance of the NR1501.

BUT I've only had it a week and when I've played some BD discs (Sherlock Holmes, Moon) they supposedly have DTS HD Master but are only displaying DTS on the amp.

Think I've got it set up correclt as LOTR was displaying DTS HD Master.

Don't know if it's affecting sound. Still sounds great.

What I like about the amp, is its so simple to set-up and operate. Its my first AV amp and I shied away before as it always looked so complicated.

A

Anonymous

not sure about sherlock homes or moon , but on many blu-rays with dolby hd or master audio , you have to go into the menu on the player and select them from audio options , the default is often dolby digital.. you dont have to do this with lotr though ..

A

Anonymous

Two questions, one for philphilips, whats the osd ?One for Crossie i noticed on the mains cable there was no earth how did you earth it?

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Use a three pin plug, remove the live and neutral pin, connect a cable from the earth pin to one of the screws on the casing of the av receiver, it has one with a serated washer for this. You might not need to do this but if the sub is earthed you may get humming problems which is completely solved by connecting an earth. This worked perfectly for me, if unsure get someone qualified to do it.

It is also possible to buy a three pin plug with an external earth terminal and to run a cable from this to the casing of the Marantz.

I am still very impressed with the Marantz....just a bit miffed at the price drop, having paid £400!!!

Cheers

Richard

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Just added a sub to the system. Connected it all up and ran the auto set-up, but as if amp wouldn't recognse it. Ran it 4 or 5 times but the sub wouldn't be a part of the set-up and even though I kept adding the sub to the speaker config after I ran auto set-up the sub would be removed ?????

But I've manually set-up and all is well. BTW manual set-up is almost as easy as Auto set-up.

Just found it strange, I must have been doing something wrong but can't figure out what :)

The sub shows up when I run test-tone so all ok now.

A

Anonymous

eremis6:

Two questions, one for philphilips, whats the osd ?

It's the onscreen display, allowing you to configure the amp onscreen rather than using the single line display on the front of the amp. There is a basic version but for some reason it isn't sent over HDMI and you need a seperate cable to use it. It's not a major gripe as you won't be fiddling with it too often.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
:) It's still saying just DTS. Just watched first part of Alice in Wonderland. I have checked the audio settings on the BDP (Marantz BD5004) and it confirms the audio track as DTS HD Master.

As I said when watching LOTR the amp was saying DTS HD Master.

I'm still very pleased with it and now I've added a SW it all ties together even better. But should I be gettig even better sound ?

Does anybody else play any BDs that are supposed to be DTS HD Mstr but amp display just indicates DTS ?

A

Anonymous

Philphilips, Sounds like a pain not having the on screen display via HDMI as you said its not something which will be used often but still. Do you have another lead attached always just encase you need to use the osd or just attach if you need to use it?

A

Anonymous

I didn't have a correct lead to hand so just used the panel on the front of the device itself, relatively painless.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts