Marantz problem

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I,ve recently bought a RA attenuated interconnect for my Marantz 7003 amp and CD player, I've just looked and there are directional arrows on the lead sleeves. One off them was pointing from the amp to the CD, I've changed it round so both point from the CD to the amp. Is this right? Would one the wrong way round explain the amps protective circuit kicking in and reducing the volume after a long period of loud music playing (in says in the manual about excessive amp input signal and over heating triggering the protective circuit).

A

Anonymous

Yes, the arrows should point away from the source, so your cables are correctly installed.

However, this does not explain the amp protection kicking in. It sounds like you are pushing it too hard, perhaps as a result of getting less volume as a result of the attenuation. How much attenuation does the lead give and why did you fit it?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply, i didn't even notice the arrows the first time i fitted them.

My original interconnect restricted the volume control going past half way due to it been way to loud with my 685 speakers. So now have a RA silverstreak (pre owned) with 11dB which allows the volume control past half way still sounding clear.

What i have got is the cd player sat on top of the amp inside a cabinet (most of the back panel of the cabinet is removed for the leads),but with the amp vents on the top lid, below the cd player maybe things are getting to hot with substained times loud playing like saturday night when the problem occured.

Maybe i need to space them out more to let the amp vents release more heat??

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Try placing the amp on top of the CDP.

You need to turn the vol up due to the 11db attenuation IC. So your amp is working harder too.

Thus contributing to the exccess heat produced by the amp.

Just my thoughts.

A

Anonymous

J.B:
Thanks for the reply, i didn't even notice the arrows the first time i fitted them.

My original interconnect restricted the volume control going past half way due to it been way to loud with my 685 speakers. So now have a RA silverstreak (pre owned) with 11dB which allows the volume control past half way still sounding clear.

What i have got is the cd player sat on top of the amp inside a cabinet (most of the back panel of the cabinet is removed for the leads),but with the amp vents on the top lid, below the cd player maybe things are getting to hot with substained times loud playing like saturday night when the problem occured.

Maybe i need to space them out more to let the amp vents release more heat??

If by halfway you mean 12 o'clock, then it seems to me that you probably don't need any attenuation... 10 / 11 o'clock would be a fairly good place for the volume control to be I would think; high enough to avoid any channel imbalance (if that is an issue) and also to allow the amp to be functioning at a suitable level.

If heat is a problem, I think it would be fairly obvious if you stick your hand over the amp; do you notice any heat?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts