marantz pm8005 upgrade to abrahamsen 2up

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
If the amplifier is set to 2.83V, the 4 ohm speaker will draw 2 watts of power from the amplifier while an 8 ohm speaker draws 1 watt. (Power = Voltage2/resistance. So, 2.832 = 8. 8/8ohms = 1 watt.) This potentially gives the 4 ohm speaker a +3dB SPL advantage over the 8 ohm speaker for a given input level .

Only if both speakers have the same sensitivity and ohm, since the 4 ohm speakers are 89db and the 8 ohm speakers are 92db, the amp is the same theres, no difference in max spl

10 watt will make the focal louder then 10 watt for the dalis by 3 db
that's taken from audioholics from the link

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Says it all. The Opticon 6 sensitivity is given as 89dB for 2.83volts/1 meter, not 1 watt.

As above, 2.83 volts into 4 ohms is 2 watts, not 1 watt, so the Opticon 6 is 89 dB/2 watts/1 metre, that is what is causing the confusion.

But then as Vlad points out, speaker impedence is a variable, not just in terms of overall impedance but phase angle too. Given the capabilities of the amplifier I doubt this makes much difference.

What does make the difference is input sensitivity, fine in this case and the 'law' of the volume control, which is entirely up to the designer.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
BigH said:
Sorry to bump old post but I was wondering how your Abrahamsen cd player compares with the Marantz 8005? Considering replacing my old Marantz 63SE.
to be honest there is not much in it between the marantz SA8005 and the Abrahamsen cd player i would say the 1up Abrahamsen just beats it by being a little more detailed with the sound but its been a long time now when i had the marantz going but this were my thought's at the time but that little bit you do get is worth it just to hear a bit more detail in the music

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
BigH said:
Sorry to bump old post but I was wondering how your Abrahamsen cd player compares with the Marantz 8005? Considering replacing my old Marantz 63SE.
to be honest there is not much in it between the marantz SA8005 and the Abrahamsen cd player i would say the 1up Abrahamsen just beats it by being a little more detailed with the sound but its been a long time now when i had the marantz going but this were my thought's at the time but that little bit you do get is worth it just to hear a bit more detail in the music

OK thanks, I thought that maybe the case.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts