Marantz PM8003, Rotel RA 06SE or NAD 356BEE?

A

Anonymous

The NAD and RA 06 SE is about the same price here, the Marantz are on sale.

It is some of a problem for me to have time to audition, so I was hoping for some rock solid recomondations.

A

Anonymous

The NAD isnt a budget amplifier though is it Penguin?

It retails for c£500 and more; budget amps would be a long the lines of the Rotel RA04SE, NAD C326BEE, Yamaha AS500 etc...

The NAD may not get a 5 start review on WhatHifi but it's still a damned good amp and competes very well with the likes of the above Rotel and, IMO, beats the Marantz hands-down as that amp is just a little too smooth and mellow; the typical Marantz sound I think

With regards to the OP's initial post; I agree that demo's are essential. All above mentioned amps will drive the Kef's well but for me the NAD or Rotel would be 1st choices.

Will the OP look at 2nd hand seperates or does it all have to be new? It'd also be handy to know what the rest of the system is; what music you generally listen to and also what your budget is?

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your input hifilover.

The rest of the system is based on a HK 970 CD player which I also use as a DAC for spotify over airport express.

I listen mostly to Rock, Hip Hop and RnB.

Edit: Sure second hand is something I concider, but its hard to find any interesting objects.

A

Anonymous

Well for your taste in music (I also listen to a fair bit of rock and metal - SOAD, Metallica, Rammstein etc...) and the likes of The Beastie Boys, Royksopp, Massive Attack etc... I'd say the NAD would be a superb amp to go for.

It has BAGS of power; a very gutsy performer and will drive the KEF's very well indeed.

NAD for me has a superb soundstage that really supports powerful music (i.e. bassy, fast paced etc...) very well indeed.

In my 2nd system I run a NAD C355BEE with some Monitor Audio RX2's and an Arcam CD72 CD player and it again is a superb set-up with great soundstage and depth
emotion-1.gif

hifilover1979:

The NAD isnt a budget amplifier though is it Penguin?

It retails for c£500 and more; budget amps would be a long the lines of the Rotel RA04SE, NAD C326BEE, Yamaha AS500 etc...

The NAD may not get a 5 start review on WhatHifi but it's still a damned good amp and competes very well with the likes of the above Rotel and, IMO, beats the Marantz hands-down as that amp is just a little too smooth and mellow; the typical Marantz sound I think

With regards to the OP's initial post; I agree that demo's are essential. All above mentioned amps will drive the Kef's well but for me the NAD or Rotel would be 1st choices.

Will the OP look at 2nd hand seperates or does it all have to be new? It'd also be handy to know what the rest of the system is; what music you generally listen to and also what your budget is?

So my CD73 is midrange is it? Anything below the £500 mark is budget in my book.

A

Anonymous

Didnt say that did I?

We were talking about the amps

And no; I dont agree with the comment; I'd say around £500 and above is the beginnings of the midrange arena (for normal high streed vended hifi seperates etc...)

I appreciate that there are some VERY expensive hifi seperates available but rarely do you see these on/in standard high street retailers

hifilover1979:

Didnt say that did I?

We were talking about the amps

And no; I dont agree with the comment; I'd say around £500 and above is the beginnings of the midrange arena (for normal high streed vended hifi seperates etc...)

I appreciate that there are some VERY expensive hifi seperates available but rarely do you see these on/in standard high street retailers

I'm saying any hi-fi separates i.e. amps, CDPs, speakers... below £500 RRP is budget. From £500-£1,000 midrange and £1,000-£2,000 high end... anything above £2,000 is silly end.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

The NAD's RRP is £600; most places have it around £550... Therefore, in your 'catagories' it's midrange!

hifilover1979:The NAD's RRP is £600; most places have it around £550... Therefore, in your 'catagories' it's midrange!

Ah, thought they pitched it about the same price as the 355, around £400 - my mistake. On that basis, for £600 you'd be hard pushed to beat the Creek Evo II. It's my favourite sub-£1,000 integrated.

A

Anonymous

I did concider the Creek Evo 2 but I can only find it on ebay (cant find any retailers in Norway), and on Ebay its £590 incl shipping, but then I have to add 25% import tax on it, so it streches my budget.

For that price I can also concider Rotel 1520.

But Im tempted by the NAD at this point, thanks to hifilover. :)

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin:
hifilover1979:The NAD's RRP is £600; most places have it around £550... Therefore, in your 'catagories' it's midrange!

Ah, thought they pitched it about the same price as the 355, around £400 - my mistake. On that basis, for £600 you'd be hard pushed to beat the Creek Evo II. It's my favourite sub-£1,000 integrated.

Creek Evo II can be had for £499 at the moment.

EDIT: just noticed that you are not in the UK.

tommelitn:

I did concider the Creek Evo 2 but I can only find it on ebay (cant find any retailers in Norway), and on Ebay its £590 incl shipping, but then I have to add 25% import tax on it, so it streches my budget.

For that price I can also concider Rotel 1520.

But Im tempted by the NAD at this point, thanks to hifilover. :)

Nice one - Nad make some decent amps, no question. I like Nad stuff in the main, my only caveat is they tend to be bass heavy amps.

Helmut80:plastic penguin:

Creek Evo II can be had for £499 at the moment.

For that price with the sound and build quality, that's a bargain.

A

Anonymous

Maybe I should try to import this amp...

But last night while cruising for reviews I also came a cross this amp: Onkyo A-9555 a class D amp 2x100w @ 8ohm anyone with any first hand experience for this one?

A

Anonymous

I've heard a few Onkyo amps and they've never really been that good; not stereo anyways.

However they do make great AV amps!

Anyways; In agreement with a comment on the other page; the Rotel RA1520 is also worth considering! Superb amp

A

Anonymous

Thank you guys for inputs, and concidering Onkyo not beein a good 2ch amp is only good news for me, less to concider.

Right now I found a second hand Rotel RA-1070 for £600 and if this is still available I will take my chance with this one, else Iïm going for the NAD, thats also the cheapest of them all, but in that perspective it gives me the possibility to later add a poweramp without feeling "ripped off"....he,he

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Keeping to the initial request, I demoed the Marantz and Rotel a week or so ago. Didn't like the Marantz because to me it didn't really sound musical, too clinical and lacked the vibrance and soundstage I was looking for. Rotel, even though bright on its own, it sounded amazing with the B&W 684s! Sounded that good, that it was my first purchase. Check out my thread just put up recently. Not heard the NAD, but heard good things about it. Seen a couple of ex-demo/2nd hand Rotel RA1520's on ebay now and again, this I've heard is an amazing amp for the money.

Good luck in your search!

tommelitn:

Thank you guys for inputs, and concidering Onkyo not beein a good 2ch amp is only good news for me, less to concider.

Right now I found a second hand Rotel RA-1070 for £600 and if this is still available I will take my chance with this one, else Iïm going for the NAD, thats also the cheapest of them all, but in that perspective it gives me the possibility to later add a poweramp without feeling "ripped off"....he,he

Why spend £600 on a fairly old Rotel (albeit good) when you could save some money and add superior SQ with a Creek Evo II?

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:tommelitn:

Why spend £600 on a fairly old Rotel (albeit good) when you could save some money and add superior SQ with a Creek Evo II?

What?

Have you ever heard the Rotel RA1070? Have you heard it with the same speakers that you may have used to demo the Creek Evo II?

The Rotel RA1070 is a superb amp; massive guts and presence but with detailed timing and plenty of clout to boot.

I dont agree that the Creek Evo II is 'superior' at all; more than likely in the same league but it's down the speakers being used and for me the Rotel will have a lot more control over the B&W 684's than the Creek would

hifilover1979:plastic penguin:tommelitn:

What?

Have you ever heard the Rotel RA1070? Have you heard it with the same speakers that you may have used to demo the Creek Evo II?

The Rotel RA1070 is a superb amp; massive guts and presence but with detailed timing and plenty of clout to boot.

I dont agree that the Creek Evo II is 'superior' at all; more than likely in the same league but it's down the speakers being used and for me the Rotel will have a lot more control over the B&W 684's than the Creek would

Over the last 20 years or so I've heard most Rotel amps with all sorts of speakers. Like wise, I heard most of the big hitters in the sub-£1,000 bracket - Roksan Kandy LIII, K2, Primare I21, Rotel 06, Cyrus 8, Nad 352, all the DIVA range from Arcam, Naim Nait 5i, Marantz... shall I go on? Alright, Exposure 2010S amp and CDP, Arcam Alpha range...

So yes. To my ears, in the sub-£1,000 bracket the Creek Evo II is more than a match for the very best, and vastly betters the others.

A

Anonymous

Iïm hoping for the RA-1070 for its power, I thought £600 for a 1.5 yo £1200 amp is a pretty good deal.

Like I said the Creek would be interesting at around £5-600 but for me with shipping and added sales tax it will cost me £740.

So all the amps Iïve taken to consideration are all around the 5-600 mark.

But I do now understand that the Creek is a very potent amp!

tommelitn:

Iïm hoping for the RA-1070 for its power, I thought £600 for a 1.5 yo £1200 amp is a pretty good deal.

Like I said the Creek would be interesting at around £5-600 but for me with shipping and added sales tax it will cost me £740.

So all the amps Iïve taken to consideration are all around the 5-600 mark.

But I do now understand that the Creek is a very potent amp!

I don't think the 10 series has been made for a while now (2-3 years approx). Not sure where the 1.5 year old one comes from, unless it's been stored away.

A

Anonymous

Hmmm you have a point, it was produced from 2001-2004 from what I can find.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts