Marantz PM7200

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Not sure if im posting this in the write place as i have never used these forums before. However here goes, I have a Marantz PM7200 amp that runs Very hot, so hot the case is untouchable after about 1 hours of use, it is not running in a confined space and has plenty of room for airflow all around it (including the underside) it is also not being driven very hard either and does not seem to matter whether it is in class A mode or not. Also after a couple of months of having it I did have exchanged with a replacement for the same problem, the second amp however was not any better so i presumed it was just normal for the amp and ignored the heat it put out.

Now the amp has died (which i believe is a direct result of the heat) outside its warranty. I was just wondering if anyone has had experience or heard reports of this amp running extremely hot for no apparent reason, so that i can prove to the retailer that it was a latent fault and hopefully get it repaired.

Thanks

James

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
It does sound like you have had a couple of faulty amps here Jim. I had (and still have for sale) a PM7200. On Class A/B it gave out an 'average' amount of heat, on Class A there was quite a bit but not too much to cook a minidisc and CD player on top of the amp (with spacers and a 1-inch+ gap). It's a great budget amp, if all else fails you could always buy my used one??

A

Anonymous

Hi thanks for the reply, suppose it could have been just a faulty batch I had, which is a shame because i did really like it.

I may be interested in purchasing your used one if all else fails, how much were you asking and is it the silver or black model?

Cheers

tounra

Sep 25, 2007
Visit site
My PM7200 runs warm too, but only 'hot' in warm summer days and not alarmingly so, I can touch the case without burning my hand.
It was a common concern among (new) PM7200 owners, you'll find many posts on the internet, though this is the first time I hear someone mentioning his PM7200 actually died because of the heat.
Bummer.
I am sorry, but I think it is just bad luck...

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
ltlbkofjim:
Hi thanks for the reply, suppose it could have been just a faulty batch I had, which is a shame because i did really like it.

I may be interested in purchasing your used one if all else fails, how much were you asking and is it the silver or black model?

Cheers

It's the gold finish, in perfect condition and working order. I'm asking about £120 (with manual)I live in Lancashire, are you anywhere near?

T

the record spot

ltlbkofjim:
Hi everyone,

Not sure if im posting this in the write place as i have never used these forums before. However here goes, I have a Marantz PM7200 amp that runs Very hot, so hot the case is untouchable after about 1 hours of use, it is not running in a confined space and has plenty of room for airflow all around it (including the underside) it is also not being driven very hard either and does not seem to matter whether it is in class A mode or not. Also after a couple of months of having it I did have exchanged with a replacement for the same problem, the second amp however was not any better so i presumed it was just normal for the amp and ignored the heat it put out.

Now the amp has died (which i believe is a direct result of the heat) outside its warranty. I was just wondering if anyone has had experience or heard reports of this amp running extremely hot for no apparent reason, so that i can prove to the retailer that it was a latent fault and hopefully get it repaired.

Thanks

James

You might not be covered by warranty, but you can - if you take it to an independent workshop for checking - prove that it was faulty and you are covered, if so, by the Sale of Goods Act, wherein, you would reasonably expect said goods to last for more than a year for example. Advise the retailer where you purchased the goods from in the first place that this is your intention.

The Class A amps do run hot, but that's part and parcel of the design. They shouldn't really blow the thing in the space of a year or so. See what they offer, if they're not too forthcoming or it's a case of "you've had it mate", go down the independent repair route to check out the machine (or return to a Marantz dealer) and quote the legislation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts