Marantz PM6003 or Rotel RA04

Tesler

Oct 2, 2007
Visit site
I want to move my Pioneer A400 out of my current setup to use elsewhere.
My HiFi is currently situated in a conservatory on the hard wall side. It's firing sound along the length rather than the width, about 15ft wide by 30ft long.

Home demo is not an option, I live in a village in the middle of nowwhere and a frequent bus service here is Three times a week.

I've got around £300 to spend on an amp and I thought about either the Marantz PM6300 or Rotel RA04.

Does any one know which of these two are going to work better in my system? (See signature)
I like most types of music from AC/DC "Whole lot of Rosy", and everything else to O Forutna from Carmin Burana.

Thanks

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Personally I'd be going for the Rotel as it has great synergy with B&W speakers.

But...

Have you also considered NAD and/or Arcam amps?

I'd also be looking for a decent 2nd hand NAD C352 integrated or an Arcam Alpha 10 integrated amp via eBay (both should be c£200)

Both would work very well with your system and musical tastes IMO

Plus, if you were to sell your Pioneer amp you may have enough (if you were to sell your Marantz CDP as well) to upgrade the CDP to an Arcam CD72/73 or the NAD C545BEE

A

Anonymous

NAD or Rotel I'd say, wasn't impressed by that Marantz at all.

Tesler

Oct 2, 2007
Visit site
d_a_n1979:Personally I'd be going for the Rotel as it has great synergy with B&W speakers.

But...

Have you also considered NAD and/or Arcam amps?

I'd also be looking for a decent 2nd hand NAD C352 integrated or an Arcam Alpha 10 integrated amp via eBay (both should be c£200)

Both would work very well with your system and musical tastes IMO

Plus, if you were to sell your Pioneer amp you may have enough (if you were to sell your Marantz CDP as well) to upgrade the CDP to an Arcam CD72/73 or the NAD C545BEE

No I haven't considered NAD, I had a MAD C350 that died after 18months so I've been put off a bit.

May look at the Rotel though.

I'm currently trying my Cambridge Audio 740a in the system at the moment but It sounds too HiFi and a little cold! I'm looing for sound that has a bit more warmth and grunt

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Well dont be put off by NAD.

The NAD C352 integrated amp is a stunner.

If you're after a bit of waqrmth though I cant recommend enough the Arcam Alpha 9 or 10 integrated amps!

A

Anonymous

I'd go with the rotel, much better amp in my opinion than the marantz

Tesler

Oct 2, 2007
Visit site
potboyslim:I'd go with the rotel, much better amp in my opinion than the marantz

Thanks for your input, I was kind of leaning towards the Rotel, just got to find a dealer in Glasgow that might let me try one first.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Tesler:Isn't the Arcam a little out of my budget? (£300)Don't really want to go down the second hand road!

No; the Arcam Alpha 9/10 integrated's would be c£180/200 via eBay.

These amps were £600 and £900 in their days and still very good now!

No worries if you dont want to go 2nd hand though.

Stick with the Rotel :)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
potboyslim:I'd go with the rotel, much better amp in my opinion than the marantz

I'd begrudge paying £300 for the Rotel though when every now and then on Creek's website, an ex demo of your amp comes up at £300 with 2 year warranty. I used to have one and it's a clear step up from the amps being talked about.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
If you can push you budget another 100 pounds you can still find some end-of-line (but new) Cyrus 6vs2 amps around...

One on these will blow the Marantz or Rotel into the weeds...

Tesler:I want to move my Pioneer A400 out of my current setup to use elsewhere. My HiFi is currently situated in a conservatory on the hard wall side. It's firing sound along the length rather than the width, about 15ft wide by 30ft long. Home demo is not an option, I live in a village in the middle of nowwhere and a frequent bus service here is Three times a week. I've got around £300 to spend on an amp and I thought about either the Marantz PM6300 or Rotel RA04. Does any one know which of these two are going to work better in my system? (See signature) I like most types of music from AC/DC "Whole lot of Rosy", and everything else to O Forutna from Carmin Burana. Thanks

Hi tesler

I would say the RA-04 has the edge on the PM-6003 however the Pioneer A-400 will still show both of them a thing or two. Therefore i would suggest that you carry on with your Pioneer A-400 because it is still a superb amp.

I say this because i believe the RA-1062 is finest amp Rotel produced within the last ten years and even though it is better than the 04 it still is outdone by the original Pioneer A-400.

I will suggest that instead you look at improving your source and than your speakers and start to further unlock the A-400's potential. The A-400 will easily accomodate far better sources and speakers.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

batonwielder:Another vote for Rotel, but there's no remote, right?

If you want a remote, you will need to go for the RA-05.

A

Anonymous

jockey.wilson:

If you can push you budget another 100 pounds you can still find some end-of-line (but new) Cyrus 6vs2 amps around...

One on these will blow the Marantz or Rotel into the weeds...

Yes, if he could find the extra money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts