NAD or Marantz PM6003?

richardhifi

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I have Q Acoustics 2020i and a NAD 521BEE CD. I listen to CDs only- indie and electronic music and do not like the sound to be too clinical and cold. I don't tend to listen to music very loud. Which amp is the best for me?

I am looking to spend about £100 for S/H on flea bay but prepared to go a little higher to get something that would be noticibly better.

Options:

NAD C320 lots of these on ebay for around £100 but older than the BEE version

NAD C320BEE (0R C315BEE OR C316BEE) fewer of these on ebay and tend to go for £100 to £130 delivered

Marantz PM6003 Around £130+ on ebay

This is my first foray into quality hifi after a Denon mini system. I'm looking for best value and with that in mind perhaps an older Marantz PM66SE which can be found for around £70 delivered.

Thanks

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Grab a NAD C320BEE if you can. I bought mine as a stopgap and have upgraded to more expensive amps since then (including Marantz) but always go back to the NAD. It punches way above its price and budget status. Warm punchy with bags of soul which just drags you in to the music which of course all good hifi kit should.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I would also say go with a NAD you can't really go wrong with one. The C320 BEE is cheap and plentiful, not to mention a great amp.

Personally I dislike the PM 66SE by Marantz, at the time it was new I tried a one in my system at home and it couldn't out perform an Ariston amp I had which cost a quarter of the Marantz price tag. That's just my personal take on that one.

I'm not a Marantz fan in general, but I particularly don't like the PM 66SE, I find it overly large physically, lacking in facilities and nothing special sonically, but that is all just my opinion. It was a well regarded amp in it's day, I just thought it was over rated. Back then I chose NAD and I've never looked back.

richardhifi

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for above. I have bought a S/H NAD C320 but not the BEE version because a) I couldn't wait for one to come up on ebay and 2) it was an ok price at £65 delivered. Also I need room to upgrade in the future! I'll see how I like this one before making a bigger £££ commitment. Cheers

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
richardhifi said:
Thanks for above. I have bought a S/H NAD C320 but not the BEE version because a) I couldn't wait for one to come up on ebay and 2) it was an ok price at £65 delivered. Also I need room to upgrade in the future! I'll see how I like this one before making a bigger £££ commitment. Cheers

The C320 is still a nice choice especially for the price. I hope you enjoy your new set up!

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I have owned a nad c352 in the past, although powerful on 'paper' it had a dry sound to me , very overrated, got shut of it and got a pm6004, which had lower power rating on paper , but sounded better imo with more liquidity in mid range and more presence, can comment on other nad amps but that experience tought me a lesson about 'rave' reviews , if you read the original review of the c352 there is a part that says a certain batch had incorrect biasing on the tranistors, very poor qaulity control and that that give a bloated woolly sound, but a new version sent to the reviewer sounded tighter and punchier maybe i had one of those bad batch , put me off nad

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
richardhifi said:

£65? Wow great price and just goes to show you don't have to spend £1000's (or even £100's) to get something decent.

I own both NAD and Marantz and while I concur with all of the above posts Richard has bought the best amp for his music taste. All types of Rock in particular sound faster and you can pick out every note on bass guitars. The top end sounds exciting. Switch to Marantz and it all falls apart and you will be forever trying to find matching speakers.

But on the other hand Marantz has an incredible mid range for classic music, piano, acoustic guitars or even unplugged acoustic rock. Even on some electronic music like Air "Moon Safari" and Mobie "Play" the overall albums works better on a NAD but when the acoustic guitars or piano kicks in then Marantz sounds incredible.

I have always preferred the NAD but as I get older my music tastes are changing into Marantz and family pressures have pushed me to give both these away an go backwards to Micro system similar to what Richards previous had! (but after being desappointed I added a Q Acustics active subwoofer and it sounds OK now... not perfect but OK).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts