New amplifier: Marantz, Rotel or CA?

jeroens

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking to upgrade my Pioneer VSX-D514 A/V receiver to something that more closely resembles an hifi system ;) I'm doing some research on stereo amps, but because of other demands I probably have to think in a system setup.

I like to listen to radio (either through FM or Internet streaming), and I have a Popcorn hour A300 which hosts my music collection. I would like to connect that to the amp by coax, as I have my doubts on its DAC quality. Furthermore, I will pair the new amp with Mission M32 speakers. I own four, so an A/B option would be nice.

I was currently thinking of the following alternatives:

1. Marantz PM6005 & Marantz NR1504. I would connect the latter to the PM6005 through its pre-outs. I know that a receiver and an amp may be overkill, but they look great together and in terms I would get a lot of features (including both FM radio, streaming, and AirPlay) for an unbeatable price.

2. Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20. It's a receiver, but at least a stereo one (not 5.1). No streaming connectivity, but I could live without it.

3. Rotel RA12 & Rotel RT12. Very nice looking combination, but at least twice the price of the Marantz option with less features (no AirPlay nor Spotify). It must therefore sound a lot better to make it worth the investment.

4. A network steamer (Sonos, Bluesound Node, etc.) with any amp (including those not mentioned above, such as Cambridge Audio Azur 651).

What solution would you recommend? Any help is appreciated!

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
You can't connect a PM6005 to a NR1504. You can with a PM8005 or the older PM7003 or PM7004. You need a power amp direct funtion for this. Why don't you consider a SR7009 for example. Even more functionality than the NR an for stereo use also a very good receiver.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Although a 'power amp direct' function simples adding a stereo amp to an av receiver via pre outs, it's not a necessity.

I've had a Marantz PM6004 connected to a receiver before, and that doesn't have that function. I just used the set up mic at a volume level (on the PM6004) that I could remember and return to when using it in 5.1 mode (in conjunction with the receiver).

Just sayin'....... ;)

jeroens

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
I had also read about the power amp direct function, but came across a post on another forum where someone had coupled a NR1504 and a PM6005. As I am not looking to switch between 5.1 and stereo, aligning volume levels is not the issue. I'm still curious whether its possible to pair the two though, given the different opinions on this topic. Note that I would have to opt for a PM8005 when a power amp direct function is required, as the PM7005 strangely enough does not allow A/B speaker sets.

I also wonder how the combination with the PM6005 would sound compared to the other options I mentioned. For instance, I can hardly find reviews for the Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20, does anybody have some experience with that one?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Peter Kudelstaart said:
I'm sorry. I didn't know that. But how exactly do you connect the amp to the receiver? Just curious.
Through the front pre outs on the receiver.

To the OP....why are you wanting to add a stereo amp to the receiver if your only going to use it for 5.1 duties?

jeroens

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Pistol Pete1 said:
To the OP....why are you wanting to add a stereo amp to the receiver if your only going to use it for 5.1 duties?

Sorry for being unclear: I'm interested in a stereo setup, not 5.1.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
jeroens said:
Pistol Pete1 said:

Sorry for being unclear: I'm interested in a stereo setup, not 5.1.

Why do you need an av receiver then? If it's for the features you mentioned, why not look at the Marantz M-CR610 or a second hand M-CR603 perhaps?

jeroens

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Pistol Pete1 said:
[Why do you need an av receiver then? If it's for the features you mentioned, why not look at the Marantz M-CR610 or a second hand M-CR603 perhaps?

How does that compare to the alternatives mentioned? I'm a bit afraid I lose out on punch with such a small, integrated solution?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I have no experience of your other ideas I'm afraid.
The Marantz unit does have a subwoofer output so you can add a powered sub later on if it doesn't offer enough punch.
Best thing to do is try and get a demo somewhere and decide for yourself if it's enough for your tastes.

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I listen to FM radio a lot and too was quite dissapointed in the modern trebd of not building radio recievers. I just bought a ST-6003 to suit my PM-6005 and be done with it. I"m very pleased with it end use it a lot!
regards!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts