Marantz PM14S1 SE/SA14S1 SE & Marantz Reference Range

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Looks like some dealers are now selling the Musical Fidelity M6si at around the 2.5k mark. If I really like the sound of the M5si, then I don't mind spending a bit more money to get the M6si :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'd take the Marantz over that Primare without hesitation.

For big towers like the CM10, I'd consider a pre-power combo with the Rotel RB1582 Mkii.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
sound10 said:
Singslinger said:
I've owned the PM11S3 amplifier and the SA11S3 SACD player.

Of the two, the SACD player is the better performer, the amp IMO not really living up to its hype/positive reviews. It did have the laid-back, warm house sound though, which you may like. But it didn't feel like a 100W amp, it seemed to run out steam at higher levels - and it ran quite hot.

My view is that for the same money you can get much better amplification (eg Exposure 3010S2D) but you would be hard-pressed to beat Marantz's SACD players.
Hi Singslinger thanks for your reply. Very interesting to hear what you have said with regards to the Marantz running out of steam at higher volume levels. I'm hopefully going to be able to have a demo of the PM-14 S1 SE amplifier along with the Rotel 1592, Arcam A39 and Musical Fidelity M5si with the CM10's. Will try to give all the amplifiers a work out. Out of them all though the Marantz has the least output on paper, however if the volume levels are okay for my listening needs, then I think that is what counts. The Rotel though is the most powerful and should make a good combination with the CM10's.

You're welcome Sound 10. Hope you find a suitable amp soon, though half the fun is in doing the research and hunting around!

PS I've just heard that Marantz has released a new Reference range - the PM10 amplifier and SA10 SACD player that they advertise as not having a DAC. Interesting to say the least!

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:

For big towers like the CM10, I'd consider a pre-power combo with the Rotel RB1582 Mkii.
Hi Vladimir, will definitely be having a demo with the new Rotel RA 1592 which is rated at 200 watts and should provide more than enough power for the CM10's. Theoretically this should be the best combination :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
sound10 said:
Vladimir said:

For big towers like the CM10, I'd consider a pre-power combo with the Rotel RB1582 Mkii.
Hi Vladimir, will definitely be having a demo with the new Rotel RA 1592 which is rated at 200 watts and should provide more than enough power for the CM10's. Theoretically this should be the best combination :)

I'd still have the Marantz as first choice. It's not like 90W vs 200W will be a huge difference (+3db). I had the petite CM1s connected to RB1582 Mkii in the hifi shop and because of their inefficiency and the room size, I had the Rotel turned up at 60% to get some loudness out of them. The Roksan Kandy K2 went audibly just as loud at half that power rating. Real raw power difference would be a 600W+ pro amp, which will hurt your eyes with ugliness.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
sound10 said:
Vladimir said:

I'd still have the Marantz as first choice. It's not like 90W vs 200W will be a huge difference (+3db). I had the petite CM1s connected to RB1582 Mkii in the hifi shop and because of their inefficiency and the room size, I had the Rotel turned up at 60% to get some loudness out of them. The Roksan Kandy K2 went audibly just as loud at half that power rating. Real raw power difference would be a 600W+ pro amp, which will hurt your eyes with ugliness.

+ 1

drummerman said:
Vladimir said:
sound10 said:
Vladimir said:

+ 1

+2

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
Vladimir said:
sound10 said:
Vladimir said:

+ 1

Wow, you guys certainly know your stuff around here. Really looking forward to having a demo of the PM-14S1 SE.If I really like it, then getting the matching cd player with the ability to play hi res files is a no brainer. From what I've read on the web, all reviews are outstanding for the combination. Will keep everyone updated :)

In my earlier post I mentioned the Primare integrated model i32 as costing £2000. That is its normal RRP, following its launch at £2,200 in 2011. Today I've found a dealer in Sussex offering ex dem models for £1395. At that price, it seriously challenges a Marantz PM14s1 se at £1799. And there is a lovely matching CD player, the CD32 (not SACD though, if that matters). I gather new model amps with integral DACs - as is the fashion - are due later in the year, but as a superb amp, albeit not traditional A/B type, it's well worth considering.

sound10 said:
Wow, you guys certainly know your stuff around here. Really looking forward to having a demo of the PM-14S1 SE.If I really like it, then getting the matching cd player with the ability to play hi res files is a no brainer. From what I've read on the web, all reviews are outstanding for the combination. Will keep everyone updated :)
As you can see from my updated signature, I put my money where my mouth is. The SACD player was less than a year old; and the amp labelled as ex-dem, but looked like it had simply been repacked as it came direct from the importers.

Not had much time to listen yet, but initial impressions of the amp versus my old Krell KAV-300i is maybe slightly cleaner sounding, with better depth but less width to the soundstage. Nice ergonomics too, with a display I can read - unlike the Marantz which is very faint with no adjustment, rather disappointing. The remotes seem to speak the same language, so currently either switches both amp and player on or off simultaneously!

Big change in technology moving from all discrete heavily class A/B to class D, with energy consumption slashed in the process, so will need heating turned up!

Price was quite a factor, and I've got both the new amp and SACD player for £2,395 versus a retail price of £3,799. I'm not as well off as I was when working, and still have my old amp and player to sell, hopefully for around £1,500.

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
sound10 said:
As you can see from my updated signature, I put my money where my mouth is. The SACD player was less than a year old; and the amp labelled as ex-dem, but looked like it had simply been repacked as it came direct from the importers.

Not had much time to listen yet, but initial impressions of the amp versus my old Krell KAV-300i is maybe slightly cleaner sounding, with better depth but less width to the soundstage. Nice ergonomics too, with a display I can read - unlike the Marantz which is very faint with no adjustment, rather disappointing. The remotes seem to speak the same language, so currently either switches both amp and player on or off simultaneously!

Big change in technology moving from all discrete heavily class A/B to class D, with energy consumption slashed in the process, so will need heating turned up!

Price was quite a factor, and I've got both the new amp and SACD player for £2,395 versus a retail price of £3,799. I'm not as well off as I was when working, and still have my old amp and player to sell, hopefully for around £1,500.

Hi nopiano, congrats on your purchase. Please do keep us updated as how you are finding the amp and cd player. Hopefully I will be able to have a demo sometime this month. Will post my impressions on here :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You'll always get differing opinions, but amplifier wise, I find Marantz just a little safe sounding for my personal taste. But it can also come down to the speakers being used though, so they'll suit an aggressive speaker as they should tame it somewhat.

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
davidf said:
You'll always get differing opinions, but amplifier wise, I find Marantz just a little safe sounding for my personal taste. But it can also come down to the speakers being used though, so they'll suit an aggressive speaker as they should tame it somewhat.
Agreed. I think the Marantz sound is warm, laid back with a bit more focus on the midrange.

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone, having done a bit of research with regards to Marantz amplifiers, it seems that they give a conservative power rating when in fact their amplifiers are able to output more. One example is the PM14S1 SE which has a 90 wpc power rating when in fcat it is able to output 110wpc in tests. Add to the fact that Marantz use high quality toroidal power supplies that are able to output clean and high current, I can see why Marantz don't make their amplifiers with a higher wpc. The PM8005 that I have outputs 70 wpc on paper, but I think in real tests it would output more. It would be interesting to find out what it can actually output. If any forum member is able to help, then that would be greatly appreciated. As previously mentioned, I should hopefully be able to demo the Marantx PM14 S1 SE , Rotel RA1592, Arcam A39 and Musical Fidelity M5si with my local dealer. Just to add that if I do like the Musical Fidelity M5si the best, I might end up buying the Musical Fidelity M6si as that has now come down in price to just under 2.5k. Looking forward to the demo and making a decision :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
sound10 said:
Hi everyone, having done a bit of research with regards to Marantz amplifiers, it seems that they give a conservative power rating when in fact their amplifiers are able to output more. One example is the PM14S1 SE which has a 90 wpc power rating when in fcat it is able to output 110wpc in tests. Add to the fact that Marantz use high quality toroidal power supplies that are able to output clean and high current, I can see why Marantz don't make their amplifiers with a higher wpc. The PM8005 that I have outputs 70 wpc on paper, but I think in real tests it would output more. It would be interesting to find out what it can actually output. If any forum member is able to help, then that would be greatly appreciated. As previously mentioned, I should hopefully be able to demo the Marantx PM14 S1 SE , Rotel RA1592, Arcam A39 and Musical Fidelity M5si with my local dealer. Just to add that if I do like the Musical Fidelity M5si the best, I might end up buying the Musical Fidelity M6si as that has now come down in price to just under 2.5k. Looking forward to the demo and making a decision :)

It's not a powerhouse like Electrocompaniet or Abrahamsen, but it certainly is no slouch either. 600VA shielded transformer under the bonnet.

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
sound10 said:

It's not a powerhouse like Electrocompaniet or Abrahamsen, but it certainly is no slouch either. 600VA shielded transformer under the bonnet.

Agreed Vladimir. The Marantz PM8005 has a 625VA toroidal power supply and the PM14 S1 SE has a 650VA toroidal power supply. Just to add that Marantz seem to be similar to Naim when it comes to their integrated amplifiers. Not very high wpc power rating, but use high quality power supplies able to deliver clean/high current when it's needed.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
sound10 said:
Vladimir said:
sound10 said:
Hi everyone, having done a bit of research with regards to Marantz amplifiers, it seems that they give a conservative power rating when in fact their amplifiers are able to output more. One example is the PM14S1 SE which has a 90 wpc power rating when in fcat it is able to output 110wpc in tests. Add to the fact that Marantz use high quality toroidal power supplies that are able to output clean and high current, I can  see why Marantz don't make their amplifiers with a higher wpc. The PM8005 that I have outputs 70 wpc on paper, but I think in real tests it would output more. It would be interesting to find out what it can actually output. If any forum member is able to help, then that would be greatly appreciated. As previously mentioned, I should hopefully be able to demo the Marantx PM14 S1 SE , Rotel RA1592, Arcam A39 and Musical Fidelity M5si with my local dealer. Just to add that if I do like the Musical Fidelity M5si the best, I might end up buying the Musical Fidelity M6si as that has now come down in price to just under 2.5k. Looking forward to the demo and making a decision :)

Agreed Vladimir. The Marantz PM8005 has a 625VA toroidal power supply and the PM14 S1 SE has a 650VA toroidal power supply. Just to add that Marantz seem to be similar to Naim when it comes to their integrated amplifiers. Not very high wpc power rating, but use high quality power supplies able to deliver clean/high current when it's needed.

Does it? Surprised as it only has a 220 Watt power consumption.

I like the internal build. Looks like a very good amplifier.

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
sound10 said:
Vladimir said:
sound10 said:

Does it? Surprised as it only has a 220 Watt power consumption.

I like the internal build. Looks like a very good amplifier.

Build quality looks absolutely sublime, both internally/externally. Hopefully I should be able to have a demo in the next couple of weeks :)

Squall Leonhart

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
nopiano said:
sound10 said:

Congrats on your new Primare I32 Amp! Interesting that the same remote switch both your Primare amp and Marantz CD on and off despite being different brands.

Did you try out the Marantz PM14S1 SE before you bought the Primare? If you did, how did the Marantz amp and Primare amp compare in sound quality? It's a shame that the display on the PM14 is hard to read. They should have included higher brightness option.

Squall Leonhart said:
nopiano said:

Congrats on your new Primare I32 Amp! Interesting that the same remote switch both your Primare amp and Marantz CD on and off despite being different brands.

Did you try out the Marantz PM14S1 SE before you bought the Primare? If you did, how did the Marantz amp and Primare amp compare in sound quality? It's a shame that the display on the PM14 is hard to read. They should have included higher brightness option.
No, I didn't get as far as trying the Marantz amp, though that was the original idea. However, when the I32, which I'd seen and heard before, was on offer at £600 off I took the plunge.

Am learning how to work around the remotes conflict, as long as I stick to Play, open drawer and power on/off, avoiding track selection I'm ok. But, if you select track no 4 on the CD, the amp changes inputs!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts