Marantz PM14S1 SE/SA14S1 SE & Marantz Reference Range

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone just a quick update. Having had a demo of the CM9 vs CM10, to my ears the difference in sound was worth paying extra for. Will now be having a demo of a few different amplifiers including the Marantz 14 Series with the CM10's. Will give everyone an update as soon as I can. Cheers :)

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone, just to quickly add that having spoken to a very helpful and knowledge person at B&W technical today I also found that the midrange driver on the CM10 is decoupled and held by gel rather than be actually fixed to the cabinet which is the case in the CM9. Therefore the only difference between the CM9 & CM10 is not just the tweeter being on top and an extra driver on the CM10. Hope this helps anyone wanting to know the differences :)

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone, just a quick update. Had the CM10's installed at home yesterday and all I can say is wow. They sound absolutely superb and are completely on another level to the CM9's. With regards to the Marantz PM8005 being able to handle them, I am pleased to say that no issues whatsoever. However this is where it gets interesting because my dealer who installed the speakers also bought with them a demo unit of the Marantz 14 Series amplifier and cd player. Therefore I was able to do a direct comparison between my PM8005/SA8005 and the Marantz PM14S1 SE/SA14S1 SE and all I can say is that the 14 Series is a big step up from the 8005 amp and cd player. The soundstage, separation and detail on the 14 Series is absolutely stunning. The Marantz 14 Series Amp and cd player have been ordered by my dealer. Just to add I have previously read a few reviews online saying that the Marantz 14 Series goes very well with the Bowers and Wilkins CM10's. I can confirm that and to my ears the whole set up sounds absolutely superb. What I have also found is that the CM10's are slightly easier to drive than the CM9's and the extra power/current from the Marantz 14 Series will be perfect for the CM10's. I should have the 14 Series installed in a couple of weeks time. If anyone has any questions, then please feel free to ask. Finally, just wanted to say a big thanks to the staff at Superfi Leeds who have provided excellent customer service everytime I have used them and could not be more helpful. Cheers
clear.png
:)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
sound10 said:
Hi everyone, just a quick update. Had the CM10's installed at home yesterday and all I can say is wow. They sound absolutely superb and are completely on another level to the CM9's. With regards to the Marantz PM8005 being able to handle them, I am pleased to say that no issues whatsoever. However this is where it gets interesting because my dealer who installed the speakers also bought with them a demo unit of the Marantz 14 Series amplifier and cd player. Therefore I was able to do a direct comparison between my PM8005/SA8005 and the Marantz PM14S1 SE/SA14S1 SE and all I can say is that the 14 Series is a big step up from the 8005 amp and cd player. The soundstage, separation and detail on the 14 Series is absolutely stunning. The Marantz 14 Series Amp and cd player have been ordered by my dealer. Just to add I have previously read a few reviews online saying that the Marantz 14 Series goes very well with the Bowers and Wilkins CM10's. I can confirm that and to my ears the whole set up sounds absolutely superb. What I have also found is that the CM10's are slightly easier to drive than the CM9's and the extra power/current from the Marantz 14 Series will be perfect for the CM10's. I should have the 14 Series installed in a couple of weeks time. If anyone has any questions, then please feel free to ask. Finally, just wanted to say a big thanks to the staff at Superfi Leeds who have provided excellent customer service everytime I have used them and could not be more helpful. Cheers :)

Enjoy

One question: wgat do you mean by installed?

Surely half the fun is unpacking and setting up yourself.

Id hate someone comming in and openning my **** and fitting it.

Andrewjvt said:
sound10 said:
Hi everyone, just a quick update. Had the CM10's installed at home yesterday and all I can say is wow. They sound absolutely superb and are completely on another level to the CM9's. With regards to the Marantz PM8005 being able to handle them, I am pleased to say that no issues whatsoever. However this is where it gets interesting because my dealer who installed the speakers also bought with them a demo unit of the Marantz 14 Series amplifier and cd player. Therefore I was able to do a direct comparison between my PM8005/SA8005 and the Marantz PM14S1 SE/SA14S1 SE and all I can say is that the 14 Series is a big step up from the 8005 amp and cd player. The soundstage, separation and detail on the 14 Series is absolutely stunning. The Marantz 14 Series Amp and cd player have been ordered by my dealer. Just to add I have previously read a few reviews online saying that the Marantz 14 Series goes very well with the Bowers and Wilkins CM10's. I can confirm that and to my ears the whole set up sounds absolutely superb. What I have also found is that the CM10's are slightly easier to drive than the CM9's and the extra power/current from the Marantz 14 Series will be perfect for the CM10's. I should have the 14 Series installed in a couple of weeks time. If anyone has any questions, then please feel free to ask. Finally, just wanted to say a big thanks to the staff at Superfi Leeds who have provided excellent customer service everytime I have used them and could not be more helpful. Cheers :)

Enjoy

Sometimes useful like when I had my Heybrook HB3's delivered and placed by the designer himself (Comeau). He took one look at my room and new exactly where they would be best placed.

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi with regards to installation, unfortunately due to health issues I am no longer able to do this. Really used to enjoy doing it though when I could and really miss being able to do it. Having said that, the 2 people who installed my equipment did it like professionals and with the utmost care. The plinths on the CM10's were put on whilst the speaker was turned upside down in its polystyrene packaging with the tweeter on top protected so that the speaker would not get marked in any way which is exactly how it should be done. Setting up and installing these floorstanding speakers and similar products is definitely not a job for one person. It needs 2 people to make sure that it's done right and properly :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Andrewjvt said:
sound10 said:

Enjoy

Sometimes useful like when I had my Heybrook HB3's delivered and placed by the designer himself (Comeau). He took one look at my room and new exactly where they would be best placed. 

Big difference between Comeau and superfi sales man mind you.

Some hifi shop men like to get in to flog other stuff And many think they know about sound just because they work in hifi shop.

But a designer id welcome in.

Health reasons fully understandable and good job.

Andrewjvt said:
Al ears said:
Andrewjvt said:
sound10 said:

Enjoy

Big difference between Comeau and superfi sales man mind you.

Some hifi shop men like to get in to flog other stuff And many think they know about sound just because they work in hifi shop.

But a designer id welcome in.

Health reasons fully understandable and good job.

After having owned HB1 and HB2's he didn't need to do any selling when I moved into the larger property... :)

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
sound10 said:

Congrats on your upgrades, Sound10. I have recently followed a similar path. Many years of happy listening ahead.

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi thanks everyone for all your best wishes. I have taken my hifi to the level I want to goto and can afford. No more upgrades now. I'm just going to enjoy my music. I have also purchased a 12m Supra USB A-B cable so that I can connect the new Marantz cd player to my PC and enjoy hi res music. The final piece in my setup is my Rega RP6 turntable. I have dediced to keep that as I think it is a superb turntable and I'm not heavily into vinyl. I will have a listen now and again, however with my current health situation it is not the easiest thing to be playing records. Having said that I have listed to the Rega RP8 with my exact cartridge in it a while ago and I did not really like it. Reason being is that I found the RP8 a bit too cd like and accurate. The warmth that I get with the RP6 had gone and instead the sound was a bit too accurate and more cd like, rather than vinyl. Having said that a huge advantage with the Marantz 14 Series is that I get a MM & MC phono stage. This would potentially allow me to demo an RP8 with the MC Apheta 2 cartridge and see what it sounds like. Might do that in a years time. However for the time being I'm very happy with my new hifi setup :)

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
emperor's new clothes said:
sound10 said:

Congrats on your upgrades, Sound10. I have recently followed a similar path. Many years of happy listening ahead.
Good to meet another Marantz 14 Series owner. Can't wait to get my new kit which should be hopefully within the next 2 weeks :)

just spent 20 mins or so reading through this old thread, as I bought the PM14S1SE recently, so it was interesting to read what others had thought of the amp. I’m more and more impressed with it every day .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts