Marantz PM14S1 SE/SA14S1 SE & Marantz Reference Range

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone, just wondering please if any forum member has the above Marantz amplifier/CD player and what they think. I've read a few forum threads with regards to Marantz Reference range equipment and some people have said that it's amazing, while others have said they preferred the models just below the reference range e.g. the Pearl Lite/PM8005 as they are more musical. My question is does the Marantz Reference Range have the typical warm Marantz sound or does the sound become too clinical rather than being more musical. Just to add that I do currently have the Marantz PM8005/SA8005. I like the sound, but was thinking of upgrading. Thanks :)

sound10 said:
Hi everyone, just wondering please if any forum member has the above Marantz amplifier/CD player and what they think. I've read a few forum threads with regards to Marantz Reference range equipment and some people have said that it's amazing, while others have said they preferred the models just below the reference range e.g. the Pearl Lite/PM8005 as they are more musical. My question is does the Marantz Reference Range have the typical warm Marantz sound or does the sound become too clinical rather than being more musical. Just to add that I do currently have the Marantz PM8005/SA8005. I like the sound, but was thinking of upgrading. Thanks :)

I believe nopiano has recently acquired the SA14 S1SE.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
the marantz PM8005 is very good value for money £600 new which when it first hit the market it was a £1000

you would not go wrong in getting one i used to own one and its matching cdplayer its a good amp for the money

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi thanks for all your replies. Sounds like the PM14S1 amp and the SA14S1 cd player is a fantastic combination. However I don't think the amplifier will have enough power to drive a large floorstanding speaker such as the Bowers & Wilkins CM10's. Therefore what I think what I will do is keep my Marantz SA8005 cd player and just upgrade my amplifier. Will miss my Marantz PM8005 though.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Sound10,

I hadn't planned to upgrade, but a Cyber Monday deal appeared that I couldn't resist. I have no regrets and do not find the 14s clinical and subjectively they are best decribed as similar to the high standards of the 8005 with added detail, more depth to the soundstage and control in the bottom octave. Female vocals, for example, are superb. Emmy winner Mary Chapin Carpenter's come on, come on from the 90s is simply beautiful to my ears. I have listened to Norah Jones on CD may times, but the recently acquired SACD is on a different level. The SA14 digs up detail and depth that I have not heard on my previous Marantz, Meridian and Cyrus players. The dynamic range of meatier fare such as Symphonies and rock are delivered with solid, tunefull bass lines and non-fatiguing treble. Potentially bright recordings such as ELP's take a pebble and Lucky Man can jar with Palmer's high hats and splash cymballs prominent, but no problem with the 14s. The bass from Emerson's Moog is equally impressive.

I have been investigating upgrading speakers but each time return to my system thinking that I need to spend a lot more for a worthwhile improvement - certainly more than 250%. That is the approx premium for the 14SEs over the 8005. To my ears it was well worth it, but the gent that bought my 8005s bought his own music for a listen and his immediate reaction was "why on earth are you selling these?" He didn't hear the 14s!

Edited to add;

Forgot to mention the cool blue 'mood lighting", the iconic porthole with volume display and switchable filters in the DAC output stage. I connect my SBT via coax and the 320kbps AAC radio paradise is very listenable SQ wise.

Al ears said:
sound10 said:

I believe nopiano has recently acquired the SA14 S1SE.
Indeed I have, and literally only 7 days ago, so too early for fixed opinions. However, it seems to have an attractive, expressive quality to vocals (for example) that I associate with higher-endgear, and real life, rather than a rather mechanical and flat sound. Beautiful finish, far nicer than the pictures (which look like a 6006 needing to diet!). Weighs over 15kg, more than most amps.

No opportunity to compare with my aging Krell KAV-300cd yet, as I managed to clumsily derail the loading tray the day before I bought the Marantz.
Regarding the overall Marantz sound, I usually prefer a wide-open, large-scale sound, typically found in US designs, and wide bandwidth gear. I'd contrast this with the more engineered sound of, say, Naim, with deliberately poor damping - though great results can be achieved. Marantz is therefore pretty much my style, and I've enjoyed and owned several Marantz products, including my first CD player, an original CD63 14-bit top loader, and an amp and cdplayer from c. 1994, the PM-52 markII se and the matching CD player (CD52 se I think), still used by my dad, and never repaired or serviced! I don't think of it as warm, more rich, in the manner of a good meat stock, and quite vibrant, so not overly smooth at the top. The PM14s1 SE may therefore be all the amp most of us will ever need, and one of the finest under £2000. Only the Denon PMA2500, Rotel RA1592, and maybe the Exposure 3010S2D seem to offer similar at that price. At £2000 or above, there are several, such as Primare, Electrocompaniet, Densen and Parasound Halo, with all bar the Primare hard to find. Hegel sound great but are too mean with inputs. Yamaha looks stunning but I've not heard this generation. Beyond that come the streamer and ripper models from Moon, Musical Fidelity, and now AVM, not to mention the Naim models replacing the Uniti range. There are doubtless others I will think of as soon as I've posted this!

sound10 said:
Hi thanks for all your replies. Sounds like the PM14S1 amp and the SA14S1 cd player is a fantastic combination. However I don't think the amplifier will have enough power to drive a large floorstanding speaker such as the Bowers & Wilkins CM10's. Therefore what I think what I will do is keep my Marantz SA8005 cd player and just upgrade my amplifier. Will miss my Marantz PM8005 though.
I don't think the CM10, with its claimed 90dB sensitivity will need more than the Marantz's rated 95watts, which according to HiFi News' test actually yielded 115 watts!

However, the Rotel I mentioned above is an arc welder at 265 watts into 8ohms, and peaks over one kilowatt. Imported by B&W too!

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your reply nopiano. Looks like the Marantz is a superb piece of kit. However I'm still having a bit of dilemma with regards to Marantz Reference Range rated wpc. Seem to be very similar to Naim. I have now come to realise that rated wpc is only one aspect with regards to how well an amplifier can drive speakers, especially big floorstanders. The other important factors are high current supply and quality of the power supply. According to the information on Marantz UK's website, I can't see why the PM-14S1 SE would have any issues driving the CM10's. I have also seen a review online saying that the Marantz PM-14S1 SE sounds superb with the CM10's. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
sound10 said:
Hi, thanks for your reply nopiano. Looks like the Marantz is a superb piece of kit. However I'm still having a bit of dilemma with regards to Marantz Reference Range rated wpc. Seem to be very similar to Naim. I have now come to realise that rated wpc is only one aspect with regards to how well an amplifier can drive speakers, especially big floorstanders. The other important factors are high current supply and quality of the power supply. According to the information on Marantz UK's website, I can't see why the PM-14S1 SE would have any issues driving the CM10's. I have also seen a review online saying that the Marantz PM-14S1 SE sounds superb with the CM10's. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks :)
hi

going by the B&W website your speakers need a amplifier That's has a min of 30 watts to 300 watts into 8ohms .

so any of the marantz reference range will be good for the job including the marantz PM8005 and also look at Yamaha reference range too there's lots of good amplifiers out there

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi, thanks for all the info and help from everyone on the forums. I have just read Andrew Everard's review of the combination which says that it's simply outstanding. What is also interesting from the lab report is how much extra power in reserve this amplifier has. There are numerous people on the web who have the combination with the CM10's aand absolutely love it. The build quality and the looks of the unit are fantastic. I definitely will have to have a demo of the combination. If it's that good I will buy both components :D

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
sound10 said:
Hi, thanks for all the info and help from everyone on the forums. I have just read Andrew Everard's review of the combination which says that it's simply outstanding. What is also interesting from the lab report is how much extra power in reserve this amplifier has. There are numerous people on the web who have the combination with the CM10's aand absolutely love it. The build quality and the looks of the unit are fantastic. I definitely will have to have a demo of the combination. If it's that good I will buy both components :D

I think a fabulous choice if I may say so.

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
sound10 said:

Thanks. Hopefully my local dealer can get a demo unit and I can see how it sounds with the CM10's. Will keep everyone updated :)

gasolin

sound10 said:
drummerman said:
sound10 said:

Thanks. Hopefully my local dealer can get a demo unit and I can see how it sounds with the CM10's. Will keep everyone updated :)

No you can't se how it works with you're CM10's you can hear how the amp sound with you're CM10's *biggrin*

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
gasolin said:
sound10 said:
drummerman said:
sound10 said:

No you can't se how it works with you're CM10's you can hear how the amp sound with you're CM10's *biggrin*

Apololgies gasolin, you are right. I stand corrected :D

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone, found a few reviews online which are very interesting. Build quality looks sublime and Ken Ishiwata's magic touch on both the amp and cd player should make the combination sound fantastic. What is intersting though are the lab reports with regards to how much power the amplifier has. Unless I'm listening at deafeningly high volume levels, I can't see any reason wht the Bowers & Wilkins CM10's will be unsuitable for this amplifier.

http://www.sarte-audio.com/sites/default/files/reviews/hfn_oct_marantz_14s11_se_reprint.pdf

http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/marantz-sa14s1-se-pm14s1-se-sacdcd-player-integrated-amplifier

nopiano said:
In my earlier post I mentioned the Primare integrated model i32 as costing £2000. That is its normal Rep, following its launch at £2,200 in 2011. Today I've found a dealer in Sussex offering ex dem models for £1395. At that price, it seriously challenges a Marantz PM14s1 se at £1799. And there is a lovely matching CD player, the CD32 (not SACD though, if that matters). I gather new model amps with integral DACs - as is the fashion - are due later in the year, but as a superb amp, albeit not traditional A/B type, it's well worth considering.

For those prices a veritable bargain.

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
In my earlier post I mentioned the Primare integrated model i32 as costing £2000. That is its normal Rep, following its launch at £2,200 in 2011. Today I've found a dealer in Sussex offering ex dem models for £1395. At that price, it seriously challenges a Marantz PM14s1 se at £1799. And there is a lovely matching CD player, the CD32 (not SACD though, if that matters). I gather new model amps with integral DACs - as is the fashion - are due later in the year, but as a superb amp, albeit not traditional A/B type, it's well worth considering.

Hi nopiano, thanks for the suggestion. Whathifi did review it a while back and gave it 3 stars : - http://www.whathifi.com/primare/i32/review

I suppose you have to listen yourself and see what you think. That is what is most important :)

sound10 said:
nopiano said:

Hi nopiano, thanks for the suggestion. Whathifi did review it a while back and gave it 3 stars : - http://www.whathifi.com/primare/i32/review

I suppose you have to listen yourself and see what you think. That is what is most important :)
Indeed, and in doing so they were quite adrift from numerous other reviews in the U.K., USA and Europe! For what others thought, you can see a range of reviews here:-

http://www.karma-av.co.uk/UI/Product/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID=337

I have heard the amp previously at shows and always been very impressed. But there's nothing like listening at home!

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've owned the PM11S3 amplifier and the SA11S3 SACD player.

Of the two, the SACD player is the better performer, the amp IMO not really living up to its hype/positive reviews. It did have the laid-back, warm house sound though, which you may like. But it didn't feel like a 100W amp, it seemed to run out steam at higher levels - and it ran quite hot.

My view is that for the same money you can get much better amplification (eg Exposure 3010S2D) but you would be hard-pressed to beat Marantz's SACD players.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
nopiano said:
In my earlier post I mentioned the Primare integrated model i32 as costing £2000.  That is its normal Rep, following its launch at £2,200 in 2011.   Today I've found a dealer in Sussex offering ex dem models for £1395.  At that price, it seriously challenges a Marantz PM14s1 se at £1799.  And there is a lovely matching CD player, the CD32 (not SACD though, if that matters).  I gather new model amps with integral DACs - as is the fashion - are due later in the year, but as a superb amp, albeit not traditional A/B type, it's well worth considering. 

For those prices a veritable bargain.

... if you like the sound.

I don't honestly think one can go wrong with Marantz.

Others may do one or the other thing a little better but I doubt many are as an allround satisfying listen.

Never heard Primare but they have received chequered reviews for their different models and topologies, that is if you believe in reviews.

Marantz universally seem to receive high praise for their even handed, exciting but musical sound but because of that lack of 'stand out' don't always win group test.

I'd say that probably makes them a good choice for a system to keep for many years without giving in to trends.

My 2c's

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Singslinger said:
I've owned the PM11S3 amplifier and the SA11S3 SACD player.

Of the two, the SACD player is the better performer, the amp IMO not really living up to its hype/positive reviews. It did have the laid-back, warm house sound though, which you may like. But it didn't feel like a 100W amp, it seemed to run out steam at higher levels - and it ran quite hot.

My view is that for the same money you can get much better amplification (eg Exposure 3010S2D) but you would be hard-pressed to beat Marantz's SACD players.

Hi Singslinger thanks for your reply. Very interesting to hear what you have said with regards to the Marantz running out of steam at higher volume levels. I'm hopefully going to be able to have a demo of the PM-14 S1 SE amplifier along with the Rotel 1592, Arcam A39 and Musical Fidelity M5si with the CM10's. Will try to give all the amplifiers a work out. Out of them all though the Marantz has the least output on paper, however if the volume levels are okay for my listening needs, then I think that is what counts. The Rotel though is the most powerful and should make a good combination with the CM10's.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
IMO chose an amp with lowest signal to noise ratio - clean power plus lower distortion = more details and musical enjoyment - less in the way to colour the presentation - its not all about the highest power rating.

Make sure the amp can run speakers at least down to 2ohms also - that way you can match with almost any future speaker without worry - I think B&W goes down to about 3ohm -

Stereophile - have good measurements to check this on the tests they do

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
IMO chose an amp with lowest signal to noise ratio - clean power plus lower distortion = more details and musical enjoyment - less in the way to colour the presentation - its not all about the highest power rating.

Make sure the amp can run speakers at least down to 2ohms also - that way you can match with almost any future speaker without worry - I think B&W goes down to about 3ohm -

Stereophile - have good measurements to check this on the tests they do
Agreed Andrewjvt. You have made an important and excellent point that it's not all about wpc on paper, but also other factors. I do know that Marantz use very high quality toroidal power supplies especially in their Reference Range which are able to supply high current for compatibility with most speakers. As previously mentioned I don't have a huge room to full therefore the only way I can judge things is to have a demo and see what I think myself. Just to add that having seen some lab reports with regards to Marantz Reference Range products that have been reviewed, the actual power output is more than what is quoted. As soon as I've had a listen to the Marantz and been able to compare it with the 3 other amplifiers on my shortlist I will feedback. Thanks :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts