Marantz CD6007 fraud!

pvabeach

Sep 6, 2023
Visit site
Hi,
Based on the What HIFI recommendations I just bought a Marantz CD6007.
The review and Marantz site say it uses the AK4490 DAC.
From the product sheet "
Enjoy pristine sound quality from your CD and digital media files: The high quality 192-kHz/24-bit D/A conversion features an AK4490 chip with two selectable digital filter
and accurate system clock.
My brand new CD6007 does NOT have AK4490 DAC, it's an ESS ES9010K2M!!
My DAC and board is what was found on this youtube video-
View: https://youtu.be/v7kdz77iSgI
I'm returning it to amazon, date of manufacture is 10/2022,
Perhaps they have resolved this?? Apparently their was a fire and subsequent chip shortage at the AK factory.
Regardless, this is unethical on behalf of Marantz! Otherwise I've been happy with my AVR8805A.
Regards,
Paul

mike_mds

Oct 6, 2023
Visit site
Having stumbled across the video and now this post I need to chime in as well...just bought the cd6007 from Crutchfield a few weeks ago and was not aware of the DAC switcheroo issue. Popped the cover off mine today and same thing....ESS chip, NOT the AK. Date of manufacture is 8/2022. Just submitted a scathing review of the product on the Crutchfield site that I am betting will never see the light of day.

The Crutchfield page for the 6007 states right on the overview page for the product "A high-performance 24-bit/192kHz AK4490 digital-to-analog converter with a selectable digital filter lets you tailor its performance to your listening preference."

Buried under the Q&A section for the product is a mention of a possible DAC change:

Due to the fire at the AKM factory last fall, it is possible the new units feature a different, yet comparable DAC.
Thomas Oct 13, 2021 (Staff)

So clearly both Marantz and Crutchfield are engaged in deliberate false advertising if they have been switching the DAC for well over a year now and are still advertising literally everywhere that the unit contains the AK DAC. This will be the LAST Marantz product I ever buy.....

pvabeach

Sep 6, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for confirming my find. I've worked around it by using the AK4490 in my Marantz AVR8805a DAC.
Not that most have that option. (meaning bypassing the CD6007 DAC by sending output via coax digital to 8805 preamp).
Best Regards, Paul

szoze.ernany

Sep 17, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for confirming my find. I've worked around it by using the AK4490 in my Marantz AVR8805a DAC.
Not that most have that option. (meaning bypassing the CD6007 DAC by sending output via coax digital to 8805 preamp).
Best Regards, Paul
Why is it so important to have an AKM4490? I don't really understand. The ESS DAC is a high resolution DAC, fully equivalent to AKM.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Zwarter_020

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
This topic...I just had a similar experience with my Advance Paris purchase (which I'm very satisfied with btw). Look, this isn't just a Denon, Marantz or any other brand fraud conspiracy thing. Many brands had products with a AK4490 or any AK DAC in it. And if that DAC chip factory burns down, what are you going to do? Get the product out of sale in the middle of a global pandemic or change the DAC for a similar kind? Will the factory get resotored or maybe go bankrupt? What would you do as an CEO of any big Hifi company. I understand the choice for replacement. Do I like it? No not at all, but can't really blame them that they did. I do however for the way of communicating these changes. I could be wrong, but I didn't see or hear of any company being open and transparent about this. I like to know EXACTLY what I buy. And so do many Hifi lovers, to say the least.

P.s. in my case the DAC was changed from AK4490 to an ESS ES9018, which has similar or even better specs.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS